The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Reinhart and Savard are in! 3 Year Projection!

Ok, I'm combining a few of my threads into one to show how we can make the big Reinhart deal and still move forward with a great draft!

TRADE #1

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

2021 33rd OA Pick (2nd Round)

To BUF:

2021 9th OA Pick (1st Round)

2021 41st OA Pick (2nd Round)

2021 73rd OA Pick (3rd Round)

Jack Rathbone

Antoine Roussel

VAN gets their Top 6 winger to play with Bo, and also get to move up in the 2nd round.

BUF gets the 9OA along with a heckuva prospect in Rathbone for Reinhart.  They move down 8 spots in the 2nd round but gain a 3rd round pick and a serviceable vet in Roussel.

TRADE #2

To Van:

2021 21st OA Pick (1st Round)

To BOS:

Nate Schmidt

Lukas Jasek

VAN recovers a 1st round pick, albeit a much later one.

BOS adds a very good defenceman to solidify their Top 4.  They look good on the RHD side, but could definitely use a defenceman like Schmidt on the LHD.  Also they gain a decent prospect in Jasek although signed in Europe for now.

UFA Signings and Extensions

-- Sign UFA Erik Haula at $2.5M x 5 years (he signs for this amount particularly due to the term)

-- Sign UFA David Savard at $4.5M x 5 years

-- Petey and Hughes extended on bridge deals at $7M x 3 years (was hoping $6.5M, but it looks more likely to be $7M at this point)

-- Re-sign Reinhart at $5.9M x 5 years (used William Karlsson as a comparable - he signed his deal in 2019-20)

-- Re-sign Hamonic at $2.5M x 3 years

-- Re-sign Edler at $2.25M for 1 year (and less as each year goes by)

2021 NHL Draft Picks (first 2 rounds only)

-- Canucks select Fyodor Svechkov 21st overall

-- Canucks select Scott Morrow 33rd overall

2021-22 assumptions:
-- Kraken is provided a sweetener in the form of Kole Lind to take Holtby

-- Beagle traded with $1M retained

-- Goodbye Virtanen

Assumptions for Future Years:

-- Boeser signs a $7M AAV extension

-- Horvat signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Miller signs a $7.5M AAV extension

-- Hogs and Podz get bridge deals at $4.5M AAV when ELCs are done

CapWithReinhart.jpg.fac4f20a233d4a76e3545d2c5c6b9bfd.jpg

• Cheers 3

Don't really get the Savard love personally, we saw a lot of Gardiner love a few years back .....   But ok i will play ball.   Why not instead we keep the 9th and draft McTavish if he's available, if not Johnson, basically BPA.     

Re-sign the kids.   Re sign Hamonic, let Edler go or re-sign Edler and trade one Rathbone or OJ.      And just wait and see how it all shakes out. 

For me personally, if we are going after Reinhart we might as well go all in on Hamilton and trade QHs.   Or just trade QHs for Eklbad or another all around youngish RHD in his early prime.    Imagine that.   

Personally i'm patient enough to let the chips all fall where they are.   Reinhart for a 9th is a good idea IF we follow through.   Not convinced Savard is our guy at all.  Not one bit.   Sure he'd be a nice add.... but don't think this lineup is a winner as is. 

My biggest issue with this proposal is the projected line-up in 2023-24 when JB indicated he feels this core will be ready to contend.  That projected defence doesn't look like one that would even get us into the playoffs let alone consider us contenders unfortunately.  I suppose a lot can happen in two or three years. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think we’d get much for Schmidt in a flat cap world. 

Also if we giving up that much for Reinhart then we should be adding Eriksson as well. 

Probably cant even get Reinhart with that package. 

Reinhart is worth way more than a #9 pick, dont know how you guys come up with value. The player himself was drafted #2. When and if Reinhart gets traded, you will see it's a for a nice young roster player + 1st round pick and probably more. Not this #9 straightup excuse we are cooking up. 

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Reinhart is worth way more than a #9 pick, dont know how you guys come up with value. The player himself was drafted #2. When and if Reinhart gets traded, you will see it's a for a nice young roster player + 1st round pick and probably more. Not this #9 straightup excuse we are cooking up. 

Miller, who is a better player on a long term team friendly contract cost us 20OA.  Sammy isn’t worth 9OA, unless it includes a cap dump like Jake.  

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I doubt its worth more than our 9OA. I dunno why you think thats not enough. Guy doesnt even wanna be in buffalo anymore.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Miller, who is a better player on a long term team friendly contract cost us 20OA.  Sammy isn’t worth 9OA, unless it includes a cap dump like Jake.  

Miller was on a downtrend at the time... (Lightning must trade him to dump cap, Miller's minutes were downgraded to 3rd line, his production dropped) Reinhart is in no downtrend, hes 25 years old, nice size, consistently scores 25 goals/55 points. If anything Buffalo may be holding him back. 

A 25 year old, former #2 draft pick, who definitely can slot into your top or 2nd line with potential for a higher ceiling. You can bet there are more bidders than us floating our #9 pick.

By the way, Miller went for 1st + 3rd round pick. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Miller was on a downtrend at the time... (Lightning must trade him to dump cap, Miller's minutes were downgraded to 3rd line, his production dropped) Reinhart is in no downtrend, hes 25 years old, nice size, consistently scores 25 goals/55 points. If anything Buffalo may be holding him back. 

A 25 year old, former #2 draft pick, who definitely can slot into your top or 2nd line with potential for a higher ceiling. You can bet there are more bidders than us floating our #9 pick.

By the way, Miller went for 1st + 3rd round pick. 

Miller is a far better player than Sammy, and it’s not even close.  JB won’t give up 9OA for Rhino.  Rhino is pretty much a rental too.  Just say no to Rhino.  No no no.  No way.  Now chance.  No how.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Ok, I'm combining a few of my threads into one to show how we can make the big Reinhart deal and still move forward with a great draft!

TRADE #1

To Van:

Sam Reinhart

2021 33rd OA Pick (2nd Round)

To BUF:

2021 9th OA Pick (1st Round)

2021 41st OA Pick (2nd Round)

2021 73rd OA Pick (3rd Round)

Jack Rathbone

Antoine Roussel

VAN gets their Top 6 winger to play with Bo, and also get to move up in the 2nd round.

BUF gets the 9OA along with a heckuva prospect in Rathbone for Reinhart.  They move down 8 spots in the 2nd round but gain a 3rd round pick and a serviceable vet in Roussel.

TRADE #2

To Van:

2021 21st OA Pick (1st Round)

To BOS:

Nate Schmidt

Lukas Jasek

VAN recovers a 1st round pick, albeit a much later one.

BOS adds a very good defenceman to solidify their Top 4.  They look good on the RHD side, but could definitely use a defenceman like Schmidt on the LHD.  Also they gain a decent prospect in Jasek although signed in Europe for now.

UFA Signings and Extensions

-- Sign UFA Erik Haula at $2.5M x 5 years (he signs for this amount particularly due to the term)

-- Sign UFA David Savard at $4.5M x 5 years

-- Petey and Hughes extended on bridge deals at $7M x 3 years (was hoping $6.5M, but it looks more likely to be $7M at this point)

-- Re-sign Reinhart at $5.9M x 5 years (used William Karlsson as a comparable - he signed his deal in 2019-20)

-- Re-sign Hamonic at $2.5M x 3 years

-- Re-sign Edler at $2.25M for 1 year (and less as each year goes by)

2021 NHL Draft Picks (first 2 rounds only)

-- Canucks select Fyodor Svechkov 21st overall

-- Canucks select Scott Morrow 33rd overall

2021-22 assumptions:
-- Kraken is provided a sweetener in the form of Kole Lind to take Holtby

-- Beagle traded with $1M retained

-- Goodbye Virtanen

Assumptions for Future Years:

-- Boeser signs a $7M AAV extension

-- Horvat signs a $6.5M AAV extension

-- Miller signs a $7.5M AAV extension

-- Hogs and Podz get bridge deals at $4.5M AAV when ELCs are done

CapWithReinhart.jpg.fac4f20a233d4a76e3545d2c5c6b9bfd.jpg

Pearson on 3rd line too slow and not good hands... Hoglander 2nd line much better...

Scmidt - will not get you a 1st rounder,  Boston would not make that trade..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller is a far better player than Sammy, and it’s not even close.  JB won’t give up 9OA for Rhino.  Rhino is pretty much a rental too.  Just say no to Rhino.  No no no.  No way.  Now chance.  No how.  

Sammy is a solid player like RNH, but I'd rather have Miller than either of those two. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Sammy is a solid player like RNH, but I'd rather have Miller than either of those two. 

I wonder if JB will go for RNH, UFA so only costs money, instead of trading assets for Sammy?  Maybe trade those assets for Risto?  RNH and Risto might be good?  

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Help me out....Brock earns $7.5M in the last year?

At a minimum does his agent qualify him for a 10% raise? Aka $8.2?

New contract has the AAV for the QA.  So about 6. 

Edited by Alflives