The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that make you feel good

Ilunga

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I had a thread like this on an offshoot of this forum.

Amongst all the BS in the world,there are happy stories to tell. 

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/worlds-most-premature-baby-has-celebrated-his-first-birthday/

Look how tiny he is !

This little guy is a true fighter.

Thanks for sharing...this young man has a heart of a lion and nothing is going to stop him from whatever he sets his mind to.

Your thread touched me very much...my wife is expecting with our first child and she's had a tough pregnancy...but she has the heart of a lioness and is the toughest person I know. If our little one inherits her/his mother's heart and will, she/he is going to be alright in this crazy world of ours.

Thanks again for sharing, Ilunga.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Thanks for sharing...this young man has a heart of a lion and nothing is going to stop him from whatever he sets his mind to.

Your thread touched me very much...my wife is expecting with our first child and she's had a tough pregnancy...but she has the heart of a lioness and is the toughest person I know. If our little one inherits her/his mother's heart and will, she/he is going to be alright in this crazy world of ours.

Thanks again for sharing, Ilunga.

I wish you all the best my friend.

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

Becoming a dad has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.

I never dreamed you could love a person so much.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

seeing my wife out in public when she doesn't know I'm watching.

when my dog plays.

learning about the wonders of existence and consciousness. not a day goes by that i don't think 'what the heck is all this?'

music.

completing projects.

art.

exercise.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I helped to train a few disabled ski athletes, one in particular Mick Norton who went on to win 2 gold medals at the Lillehammer Winter Olympics.

Mick later died of a heroin overdose.

One of my good friends who was at the forefront of handicapped skiing from the start,Dean Sheppard who has helped many people overcome their limitations and enjoy the mountains,here is an interview with him.

https://themountaincosmos.com/2019/11/10/9-deano-sheppard-part-1-paralympic-movement-1992-and-1994-winter-paralympics/ 

As my parents taught me if you put in 100 percent and believe in yourself you can achieve whatever you put your mind to.

• Cheers 2

It's the little things....

• Weekends (especially long weekends)
  • After work beers with my posse
  • A smooth single malt with a wee bit of water
  • Canucks/Jays/Bills on the tube (accompanied by both of the above)
  • Seeing my daughters happy about something (anything really)
  • Building something for the house/family
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Taking apart, and repairing, something that I’m not trained to do, and have never done before.

Today, it was my broken dishwasher. Didn’t want to spend $600 on a new one, so decided to give it a try.

$40 in parts, and a little elbow grease, and now she’s running like a dream.

That makes me feel good.

Of course, there are other things that make me happier (wife, kids, hockey, when it’s going well), but earning my handyman card for the day is a satisfying feeling indeed. :) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

This story illustrates both the best and the worst of us.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-26/dog-rescuer-monk-zhi-xiang-china/100237294

Over here in Aus dog ownership exploded during the Covid lockdown.

It was almost impossible to adopt even a rescued animal.

Very much agree.

That monk is a true hero for the work he’s doing.

I’m had the pleasure of knowing a few people who do similar work, and I have great respect and appreciation for them. I’ve done a little sheltering and volunteering myself over the years, and every pet we’ve ever had has been a rescue/shelter adoption, and along the way met some very fine people, and wonderful animals, in that community.

On the opposite side, the people who get pets without being willing to really commit to proper care, or just buy animals as accessories and fashion/status symbols, and then discard them when they get bored, represent some of the worst of the worst of humanity.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Very much agree.

That monk is a true hero for the work he’s doing.

I’m had the pleasure of knowing a few people who do similar work, and I have great respect and appreciation for them. I’ve done a little sheltering and volunteering myself over the years, and every pet we’ve ever had has been a rescue/shelter adoption, and along the way met some very fine people, and wonderful animals, in that community.

On the opposite side, the people who get pets without being willing to really commit to proper care, or just buy animals as accessories and fashion/status symbols, and then discard them when they get bored, represent some of the worst of the worst of humanity.

Most of the dogs that have been part of my family have been "dumped" by others.

One in particular was so obviously abused that even though I usually don't get angry if I could of got my hands on the person who had abused him,well better left unsaid.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

This the first pic I ever took of my girl Tess, a rescue.

You might be able to see that she is mostly Bluehealer  a great Aus breed ! we think she is crossed with a GSP. 

IMG_20180412_071338.thumb.jpg.a70f85c8c8b0604b8e13b46ae6144921.jpg

She came with a lot of baggage, was really shut down, fearful due to abuse, she was found wandering the streets of Texas and was scheduled to be put down with 6 days of being captured. The rescue group grabbed her just in time. 

A few years later, she is now confident and living the dream here on Van Isl. I love her. 

She looks beautiful.

She also has the look that "Blackie"the dog I was talking about had.

When we first got him he would cringe when you went to pat him.

After about 6 months he built this bond with mum,I had another dog,and he would follow mum everywhere around on the farm.

The beautiful thing about dogs is they give you  unconditional love,something not many people give you.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1