The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on Sportsnet 650 with Halford & Brough - June 24, 2021

Rate this topic

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yes that’s what I was getting at.

Every move comes with a gamble.

So you're saying it's not in fact as easy of a job as some people make it out to be...?

:lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, combover said:

So all the Benning super fans defended JB when he was signing small or soft  players saying the nhl is moving away from the big physical players now he’s saying what those the critized him for signing so many non physical small  players. So he was wrong just like those that endlessly defend him. 
he wants big physical dmen cough tryamkin...

or right we wouldn’t have to throw away a puck prospect to have gotten him.

wiesbro helps with everything  lol that says everything I need to know about the current GM.

he just needs to stay away from any microphone or interview he contradicts himself constantly 

looks like a fool.

time to be aggressive by aggressively over spending and over paying.

Jb will never win because he’s always chasing trends not just building a solid team. Always looking for that new shinney toy that he can brag he got until it turns into another Erickson. 

Jbs a proven loser his interviews and his record are proof. 
His team better be “competitive” at Christmas or I’ll be getting a present from Aqua when we finally get rid of this loser. 

in fairness, he did try to bring in size and toughness on d, he just messed up the pro-scouting part. Guddy just wasn't what people hoped, and Schenn was here for a cup of coffee. Nik doesn't seem to want to make NHL money. Go figure. 

So we'll see. I'd like to see Zadorov here if it doesn't cost too much. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in fairness, he did try to bring in size and toughness on d, he just messed up the pro-scouting part. Guddy just wasn't what people hoped, and Schenn was here for a cup of coffee. Nik doesn't seem to want to make NHL money. Go figure. 

Schenn was actually better (my view anyways) than expected.  Problem was not re-signing him (though I could understand Benning's reluctance to give multi-year deals to depth defensemen).  Schenn seemed to have decent chemistry with Hughes (didn't hurt the former could always help out in the physical department if an opposing player took liberties on the smaller guy).

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Schenn was actually better (my view anyways) than expected.  Problem was not re-signing him (though I could understand Benning's reluctance to give multi-year deals to depth defensemen).  Schenn seemed to have decent chemistry with Hughes (didn't hurt the former could always help out in the physical department if an opposing player took liberties on the smaller guy).

I seem to recall Luke didn't give us the chance once Tampa called. Can't really blame him on that one. 

we're still in one more year of cap purgatory, until we're free of Loui and the Lu recapture its going to be tough sledding. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

terrible interpretation.  

JB values a balanced line up.  Look at BOS in 2011.

When he says he's looking for more size on the back end he specifically stated having a good first pass etc. is a key quality.  The size component is to compliment the smaller puck movers on the back end. 

Youre putting words in his mouth/not being charitable with his intended meaning.  That makes you look like a fool.

To be fair, when you inherit (Benning was hired I think a week after Chara was acquired by the Bruins) a franchise D like Chara & goalie like Thomas, ones job is WAY easier.

Frankly, I could care less if the D were all midgets or smallish guys so as long as they could actually play *defense*.  Ie., nobody would consider Tanev a monster.  Still think Schmidt is decent defensively but he gets most of the tough defensive starts because there's nobody else in the lineup to take those minutes.  That and it was a new team/system for him this past season.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be fair, when you inherit (Benning was hired I think a week after Chara was acquired by the Bruins) a franchise D like Chara & goalie like Thomas, ones job is WAY easier.

Frankly, I could care less if the D were all midgets or smallish guys so as long as they could actually play *defense*.  Ie., nobody would consider Tanev a monster.  Still think Schmidt is decent defensively but he gets most of the tough defensive starts because there's nobody else in the lineup to take those minutes.  That and it was a new team/system for him this past season.  

Well, when JB refers to more physically strong/defense oriented guys, I would guess Tanev/Hamonic are not out of the question in terms of fit.  JB isnt looking for any "monsters" imo.  He just wants sturdy guys on the back end that can also make a good first pass.  Edler may even return for that very reason.  

Id disagree though that you dont need some balance on the back end.  Sometimes you need a stronger/more sturdy component in terms of match ups/how the game is going.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Well, when JB refers to more physically strong/defense oriented guys, I would guess Tanev/Hamonic are not out of the question in terms of fit.  JB isnt looking for any "monsters" imo.  He just wants sturdy guys on the back end that can also make a good first pass.  Edler may even return for that very reason.  

Id disagree though that you dont need some balance on the back end.  Sometimes you need a stronger/more sturdy component in terms of match ups/how the game is going.  

Sure ideally you want both size & ability but at this point, we need guys that actually can defend well (as we can't expect Demko to bail us out every game).  Lack of strong defensive players (forwards) makes this even more important imho.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Could it be that Nik just doesn't want to leave mother Russia?  I think that it's quite probable that he was using the possibility of coming to Vancouver as a ploy to get a better contract with Auto.

He's a middling KHL D and he was looking for some leverage.  Way over rated on these boards imo.

Edited by Crabcakes
spelling
  • Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I seem to recall Luke didn't give us the chance once Tampa called. Can't really blame him on that one. 

we're still in one more year of cap purgatory, until we're free of Loui and the Lu recapture its going to be tough sledding. 

Amazing to think that Luke Schenn could end up with 2 Cups based that call.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Amazing to think that Luke Schenn could end up with 2 Cups based that call.

I think he was primarily thinking of security (wanting a deal longer than one year & the Bolts were offering that).  Getting a chance at the Cups were just 'gravy'.

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think he was primarily thinking of security (wanting a deal longer than one year & the Bolts were offering that).  Getting a chance at the Cups were just 'gravy'.

He only got 1 year from Tampa.  They re-signed him to another 1 year contract this off-season.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Benning has to be smart and active during free agency to add to the team’s needs without being stupid. 

We don’t have enough assets to trade, and if we trade roster players, then we’re probably taking a step back next season. 

Wouldn’t mind Johnson. Just keep hearing that he’s not great defensively, and is prone to making mistakes (high risk, high reward kind of player). McTavish doesn’t quite have the ceiling that Johnson does, but he’s got a lot more grit to his game than Johnson does, no? 

Yeah trading the first probably makes the most sense unless JB is working miracles. It’s too bad I could have waited another year, draft well, add a bit in free agency. Next year was our year to really improve things. But everyone has gone bat crazy cause of a makeshift covid season where nothing went our way. Ah well.

As for the draft. I still thinks it’s crap shoot as far as what players will be available at 9. I think we will be surprised. Hopefully it’s an interesting one. 

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

I kind of think thats what I said as well… I don’t want to give up our 1st next year. In saying that, It all depends on where Benning sees us next season. When most of the dead weight has vanished there will be money to fill in a few of the remaing spots… EP and QH has another year under the belt and BH +Miller are on the last year of their contracts, so one of them likely to be shifted, so big question is really, does Benning think we can kick the can with this group of players or are we still in rebuilding mode? If so we may as well sell high on Miller or BH for more 1st round picks in 2022/2023, cause once they need pay rises, there probably won’t be much left. We’ve got Hogs, Podz, Rashbone, Lind, Lockwood etc all on ELC’s / cheap contracts and not a whole lot to come in and fill out those afterwards, so Jan is right, its worth considering… our team is nowhere as bad as the standing suggests.. not even close, but its abundantly clear we need tougher D, likely a new 3C and maybe (big maybe) another top 9 winger (with size as in tough). How Benning optains these pieces will define the coming years. 
Hopefully he manages to do it the same way he got Schmidt, but it remains to be seen. 

You need leaders like Horvat on your team if you going to have any success.  Have you seen the makeup on the Bolts, Nyi, Habs and Knights, or the Blues cup winning team?   They have late 20 to 30ish aged players all throughout.  You dont win with a team full of inexperienced 22 year olds.   Bo is young and hasnt even scratched the surface of what he can become.  

• Like 2

On 6/24/2021 at 10:38 AM, The.Burrowers said:

We have needed a stud defenseman for a long time.  We should take advantage of the expansion draft and acquire some talent from a team that will be forced to expose (ie Minny and Dumba....)

Tyler Myers does not need protecting....

He has been a way better d man here then he gets credit for though. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

He has been a way better d man here then he gets credit for though. 

I was having a discussion with my buddy the other day about the Canucks D. I thought Myers was our best most consistent D man last year. He thought Myers was our worst. I could not understand where he was coming from at all. Myers, while overpaid, was solid last year.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Could it be that Nik just doesn't want to leave mother Russia?  I think that it's quite probable that he was using the possibility of coming to Vancouver as a ploy to get a better contract with Auto.

He's a middling KHL D and he was looking for some leverage.  Way over rated on these boards imo.

thats probably all true.