The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Ottawa - Vancouver prospect swap

To Vancouver: Logan Brown

To Ottawa: Olli Juolevi

These two were chosen 5th and 11th overall in 2016, respectively. Both have struggled to maintain a roster spot.

Juolevi has now been surpassed by Rathbone. Sens reporter Garrioch has written that Brown could likely be moved or be sent to Belleville to start the year again, as have Sens bloggers.

Ottawa strangely has a plethora of RD but not a ton of LD, giving Juolevi better chances of competing for a spot.

While Vancouver has Sutter un-signed and Beagle injured, they have two C spots that could be competed for. Brown was drafted as a tough, big (6'6), centre who is responsible in both ends. If Beagle remains LTIR esp., Sutter and Brown could compete for 3C and 4C.

Over at The Athletic, Ian Mendes has a put his two cents into an assumed Brown trade:

You flip him out for another prospect who is struggling to find his footing with another organization and hope that the change of scenery is a catalyst for improvement.

Fun fact: Logan Brown is the son of former Canuck Jeff Brown.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

To Vancouver: Logan Brown

To Ottawa: Olli Juolevi

These two were chosen 5th and 11th overall in 2016, respectively. Both have struggled to maintain a roster spot.

Juolevi has now been surpassed by Rathbone. Sens reporter Garrioch has written that Brown could likely be moved or be sent to Belleville to start the year again, as have Sens bloggers.

Ottawa strangely has a plethora of RD but not a ton of LD, giving Juolevi better chances of competing for a spot.

While Vancouver has Sutter un-signed and Beagle injured, they have two C spots that could be competed for. Brown was drafted as a tough, big (6'6), centre who is responsible in both ends. If Beagle remains LTIR esp., Sutter and Brown could compete for 3C and 4C.

Over at The Athletic, Ian Mendes has a put his two cents into an assumed Brown trade:

Fun fact: Logan Brown is the son of former Canuck Jeff Brown.

Not a bad idea actually.   

My only thought however is that we need to be more patient with Juolevi and yes, I do realize that we drafted him in 2016.  We have to keep in mind however that he experienced two MAJOR injuries post draft and so any mentioning of D+5 needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt (a point that the morons over at HF Canucks don’t understand by the way since they are blinded in their Benning hate.)

Despite these two major injuries however, there has been consistent progress in Juolevi’s game, and OJ would be a major asset to this team if he takes the next step due to his style of play (ie two way all situations dman).    In theory, OJ should be the guy who takes the mantle from Edler.  

And that’s one of the reasons why I’m willing to continue being patient with OJ for the time being.  Keep in mind that OJ is only 6 months older than Cale Makar and so there’s still plenty of time for OJ to take the next step.  

I would vote ‘no’ to moving OJ for the time being. 

ps - he was also hit quite badly by the conoravirus when it occurred.

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Not a bad idea actually.   

My only thought however is that we need to be more patient with Juolevi and yes, I do realize that we drafted him in 2016.  We have to keep in mind however that he experienced two MAJOR injuries post draft and so any mentioning of D+5 needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt (a point that the morons over at HF Canucks don’t understand by the way since they are blinded in their Benning hate.)

Despite these two major injuries however, there has been consistent progress in Juolevi’s game, and OJ would be a major asset to this team if he takes the next step due to his style of play (ie two way all situations dman).    In theory, OJ should be the guy who takes the mantle from Edler.  

And that’s one of the reasons why I’m willing to continue being patient with OJ for the time being.  Keep in mind that OJ is only 6 months older than Cale Makar and so there’s still plenty of time for OJ to take the next step.  

I would vote ‘no’ to moving OJ for the time being. 

I'm not anti-Juolevi by any means, and I agree he's shown progress. But if Edler or another top-4 D is signed, plus Rathbone looking NHL ready, I'm curious as to what would happen. He's no longer waiver exempt. I get the sense Aqua wants a playoff appearance from Benning, so I doubt he'll go the summer without acquiring another, proven NHL-ready D, and it's hard to see where Olli fits in.

Brown has similarly been derailed by an injury, but the Canucks have spots up front that are up for grabs.

51 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Brown requires waivers to be sent down so I would prefer to see if Ottawa does try to send him down and then make a waiver claim.

Yea that's fair. As does Juolevi though, and both are fringe to make their respective teams out of training camp. That's part of why I think it's a fair trade.

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Cheers 1

After goalies, defencemen seem to be the most fickle in terms of development and chances to take the next step. Although a forward can sometimes step into the NHL and assume a top 6 role, it's almost impossible for a young defenceman to step in and assume a top 2 role. So here's what the landscape looks like in terms of NHL calibre defencemen:

TOP 2 Studs - rare and few...maybe 12-14 in the entire league

TOP 2 Regulars - again, there's few, maybe about 25-30.

TOP 4 - abundant, and they cover a HUGE array of roles and responsibilities, from high minute munchers occupying top 2 slots, down to "barely" a top 4 D-man (more like a 4-5)

TOP 6 - dime a dozen...just like 4th line forwards

Is OJ a TOP 2 defenceman? No, he's projected to be a TOP 4...in other words, something there's always an abundance of.

So then what becomes more valuable to our organization right now and for the next 3-4 years? A middling defenceman that can easily be replaced, or a 3C? I think it becomes obvious that we need a 3C more than a middle 4 D...especially a LHD.

Do the trade JB!

• Cheers 1

I would probably make the trade and then try to sign Forbort (we need more grit IMO, but have enough puck-moving).

Adding a 6'6" center in Brown would be great, adding that size alone already helps defensively. 
Good idea to trade a project from an area of abundance (LD) to address an area of need (C).  

2 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I'm not anti-Juolevi by any means, and I agree he's shown progress. But if Edler or another top-4 D is signed, plus Rathbone looking NHL ready, I'm curious as to what would happen. He's no longer waiver exempt. I get the sense Aqua wants a playoff appearance from Benning, so I doubt he'll go the summer without acquiring another, proven NHL-ready D, and it's hard to see where Olli fits in.

Brown has similarly been derailed by an injury, but the Canucks have spots up front that are up for grabs.

Yea that's fair. As does Juolevi though, and both are fringe to make their respective teams out of training camp. That's part of why I think it's a fair trade.

I like the idea, and would love to see Rathbone get more minutes, but if Edler leaves I’m just fine with a Hughes-Juolevi-Rathbone left side. Our only priority should be finding a defensively sound top 4 right shot. 

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Sad Fact: Jeff Brown destroyed the culture of one of the best teams we've ever had.

Will that rumour never die? Below is a National Post article by McLean’s wife. She claims she never even met him in person.

https://nationalpost.com/life/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-being-a--wife

6 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Will that rumour never die? Below is a National Post article by McLean’s wife. She claims she never even met him in person.

https://nationalpost.com/life/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-being-a--wife

I find that impossible to believe given the fact that they played together for 3 years and the players and their wives/girlfriends get together all the time for parties and events.

But what is most odd about that whole rumour is that Vancouver traded Brown to Hartford at the end of 1995, right around when that rumour started.  McLean was also traded to Hartford (now Carolina) by Keenan on January 3,1998.  Strangely enough, Brown was traded from Carolina to Toronto on January 2, 1998.  So Brown was traded away from Vancouver around the time the rumour started floating around and then he was traded out of Carolina the day prior to McLean arriving.  To top it all off McLean ended up getting divorced from that wife after he had been traded to Carolina.

This doesn't prove Brown slept with McLean's wife but there is sure alot of circumstantial evidence that something may have happened.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I find that impossible to believe given the fact that they played together for 3 years and the players and their wives/girlfriends get together all the time for parties and events.

But what is most odd about that whole rumour is that Vancouver traded Brown to Hartford at the end of 1995, right around when that rumour started.  McLean was also traded to Hartford (now Carolina) by Keenan on January 3,1998.  Strangely enough, Brown was traded from Carolina to Toronto on January 2, 1998.  So Brown was traded away from Vancouver around the time the rumour started floating around and then he was traded out of Carolina the day prior to McLean arriving.  To top it all off McLean ended up getting divorced from that wife after he had been traded to Carolina.

This doesn't prove Brown slept with McLean's wife but there is sure alot of circumstantial evidence that something may have happened.

I guess it is up to personal retrospect. Without definitive proof I choose to ignore rumours and innuendo. I am not personally invested in the situation anyway. I guess that is why I find the regurgitation of old rumours annoying. Cheers.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Do we expect her to say "oh yeah! I totally enjoyed my adultery journey with him."

See my answer directly below your post. And who knows? Some people are brutally honest, others lie. Have a good night.

11 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'd rather just keep Juolevi, he was starting to show his potential before he lost 15 pounds from Covid. He should have a strong year, he is targeted to fill a closer role for us.

Yeah i want to keep him also i agree. Hope he has a good offseason this year, workouts a lot comes in the best shape of his life at training camp. I think he still has potential.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah i want to keep him also i agree. Hope he has a good offseason this year, workouts a lot comes in the best shape of his life at training camp. I think he still has potential.

Again, I still think he has potential too. But with the emergence of Rathbone it might not be in Vancouver that he finds the space to reach it. This swap allows both players a different scenery with spots they can compete for to reach their potential in the NHL.

This thread does make me wonder about two things:

1) Does Rathbone have more overall value than Juolevi right now?

2) What type of young center could the Canucks receive in return for Rathbone?  

Please keep in mind that I don't want to move Rathbone, but rather, am just trying to gauge value.   I do think at some point, the Canucks might have to choose between Juolevi and Rathbone but I might be wrong obviously.