The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Opposite

George on Seinfeld went the opposite. He wound up with the best of all worlds. 

This thread is the opportunity to post your opposite strategy. What the nux should do that nobody is talking about.

Ok.  I'll start.

Proposal

Trade Eriksson to Minnesota. He agrees cuz they agree to buy him out.

Minnesota to Vancouver:

Eriksson-Ek

One of Minnies two 1st round picks in 2021

Parise

Analysis:

We get rid of Eriksson. We add a great 3rd line centre prospect who is 24 and we add another first round pick in 2021 in addition to the number 9 we already have and keep. We buy out Parise.

Minny sheds the huge cap hit of Parise's contract. After we buy out Parise he re-signs in Minny for a low salary. (He has a NMC and this is the reason he waives it and then comes back home to Minny.)

Why it works:

For the first year we actually pick up some cap room at Parise's cap hit on a buy out. (2.3m vs Eriksson at 4M).

Years 2 to 4 we have a 6 to 7m cap hit but we have a young 3rd line centre under contract and we have 2 first round 2021 players who join the team in 2022 on Elc's.

In the opposite world both players become regulars and difference makers. (Given that JB is good at drafting and these are two 1st round picks it is not a huge stretch).

The Parise cap hit is gone in three years except for 833k for 3 years and we don't care from that point on.

George says, hi my name is George, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents...

Let's see if anyone is smart enough to see the value here and if anyone has any other "opposite" proposals?

That's an intriguing move for sure.  I think for Vancouver it hinges on Petey being re-signed to the bridge first, then everything else looks good (Quinn can't be offer-sheeted and there should be enough cap to re-sign Horvat, Miller and Hoglander in a couple of years); then when the bad deals fall off the books we'd only have $6 million in dead weight from the buyout but then cap space is re-opened and depth players shouldn't be too expensive (Rathbone's also offer-sheet exempted), plus we'd have enough cap to match any Boeser offer sheet.  

I think it's so crazy that it just might work if Minny's so desperate to rid themselves of Parise.  The sticking point for them though would be Eriksson Ek's pretty connected to their identity (though they do rely on Kaprizov, Erik-Ek's line is a big minute checking line that they rely on also).  IF they would part with him and a 1st I think JB makes off like a bandit.  

33 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

George on Seinfeld went the opposite. He wound up with the best of all worlds. 

This thread is the opportunity to post your opposite strategy. What the nux should do that nobody is talking about.

Ok.  I'll start.

Proposal

Trade Eriksson to Minnesota. He agrees cuz they agree to buy him out.

Minnesota to Vancouver:

Eriksson-Ek

One of Minnies two 1st round picks in 2021

Parise

Analysis:

We get rid of Eriksson. We add a great 3rd line centre prospect who is 24 and we add another first round pick in 2021 in addition to the number 9 we already have and keep. We buy out Parise.

Minny sheds the huge cap hit of Parise's contract. After we buy out Parise he re-signs in Minny for a low salary. (He has a NMC and this is the reason he waives it and then comes back home to Minny.)

Why it works:

For the first year we actually pick up some cap room at Parise's cap hit on a buy out. (2.3m vs Eriksson at 4M).

Years 2 to 4 we have a 6 to 7m cap hit but we have a young 3rd line centre under contract and we have 2 first round 2021 players who join the team in 2022 on Elc's.

In the opposite world both players become regulars and difference makers. (Given that JB is good at drafting and these are two 1st round picks it is not a huge stretch).

The Parise cap hit is gone in three years except for 833k for 3 years and we don't care from that point on.

George says, hi my name is George, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents...

Let's see if anyone is smart enough to see the value here and if anyone has any other "opposite" proposals?

So, just when the Canucks start to move into contender status, you want to tie up $6.4M for 2022-23, and $7.4M for 2023-24 and 2024-25 on a cap buy-out for Zach Parise?  That's brilliant.  And Eriksson Ek would need to be signed to a deal that would end up being a $4.0M cap hit (he's currently on an expired two year bridge deal, post ELC). 

In what bizarro world is that smart even if you're getting a player of Eriksson Ek's skill set and two first round draft picks?   "In the opposite world, both players become regulars and difference makers"...yah, I'll take that to the bank.  

The Canucks are moving on from cap purgatory, and this guy^^^^^ wants to extend it for another four more years.  So no, the opposite doesn't work.  Guess I'm not smart enough to see the value in this stellar proposal. 

It's hot and my brain is melting, so I'll play along.  My idea of opposite...

JB stays away from inane ideas like this, because it's something he might consider...JB says no to any discussions related to Oliver Ekmann-Larsson...JB stays away from UFAs aged 28-30 with 4-5 years x $4.0M to $5.0M cap hits in hopes he can extract 4-5 years out of them...and seeing how we're talking unicorns, fairies with pixie dust, double rainbows, etc., we wind the clock back and sign Tofolli and let Jake Virtanen walk. 

• Haha 2

Your idea is do nothing and poopoo proposals that could actually move the needle for the nux. 

You've missed the point.

George got a great job and a girlfriend out of going opposite.  You gonna get nothing partner.

• Haha 2

Opposite you say, Ok then:

-stand up to Aquaman and tell him the playoffs aren't the sole focus for the next 2 years. He'll have to absorb any losses but it'll all be worth it in the end - fans will understand. 

-tell Green he's got 100% support to play the kids for development purposes and wins aren't the be all end all, the process is.  Play the kids, and play them a lot.

-stay the course this summer and build through the draft, don't do anything 'aggressive', we ain't there yet.

-be thrifty with your summer spending , the cap room when we're actually contending will be worth more to us than anything it will buy this summer.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

Don't see a chance that the Canucks accept.  They can navigate around an Eriksson buyout (or demotion to the AHL) but have little chance to manage with a Parise buyout given the contracts that are up when his cap hit will still be on the books.

2021/22   2.4M    only a 1.6M advantage over an Eriksson buyout

2022/23   6.4M    Boeser is up as well as Rathbone.  Also Benning's last season under contract.  

2023/24   7.4M    Horvat and Miller are up as well as Höglander.

2024/25   7.4M    Pettersson on a 3 year bridge is up (4 years would bring him to UFA so a bridge is likely no more than 3 years).  Hughes could also be up.  Podkolzin would be too.

Don't see the Wild interested either.  It would set them back for several years when themselves are still in a rebuild.  It puts them at risk of losing Kaprizov who wants to play for a team that has a legit chance of winning it all. 

Their biggest weakness is their lack of Cs.  Eriksson Ek has been invaluable to them and is a future Selke candidate (was already 4th this year in votes) and someone they strongly believe you win with in the post-season.  He's not someone they are looking to trade and they've had plenty of calls on him.

• Cheers 1

The point of this thread is to illustrate the value of cap for other than signing UFA's.

If the nux did what the OP proposes they would have 3 1st round picks and 2 second round picks over the 21 and 22 drafts plus a 24 year old proven centre for the third line. 

Furthermore we would not be trading any prospects - but keeping them all.

In two years that's 5 first and second round picks and 10 prospects available to fill out the team.  In three years the Parise cap hit drops away to next to nothing.

Next year Holtby comes off Luo comes off Roussel comes off.  That's plenty for Boeser's raise and Rathbone's raise.  The year after Horvat signs a RNH deal and saves us a couple bucks which go to Miller. Hoggy is also up that year but there is enough coming forward from the prior year to cover. After that Myers comes off and so does Pearson.

Long and short there are not any cap problems and we have a bunch of high picks and current prospects to fill out the team.

George was right. This is a good example of the value of not trading away picks and prospects to bring in quick fixes.

It's not traditional thinking and requires some smarts to understand the value.

22 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Your idea is do nothing and poopoo proposals that could actually move the needle for the nux. 

You've missed the point.

George got a great job and a girlfriend out of going opposite.  You gonna get nothing partner.

Seinfeld is fictional. Doesn't mean because George improved his life by going against the grain that you base choices off of that concept. 

There are risks, and there are calculated possibilities. George fluked out. 

This kind of deal only makes sense if the Canucks are planning to go back into a rebuild part 2 and accumulate assets to surround Petey and Hughes while selling off Miller, Boeser, Horvat etc in the next few years. 

By the time those draft picks make the NHL, the older core guys will have aged out of their prime years.

No chance Benning and Aquilini willfully accept 4-5 more years of losing. They have made a whole bunch of terrible moves trying to avoid it the last 7 even though they didnt manage to avoid it.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

As I have mentioned you have to have some smarts to follow this post.   Seinfeld is fictional. Ok. Thanks partner.

Yeah, you're a funny guy, I get it pardner. Pushing the needle and thinking out of the box can work sometimes, but you actually have to have brains to even possibly make it work. 

Talk to Chiarelli or Milbury. 

Edited by BarnBurner

And here i thought it would be an intelligent discussion about whether we should spend the next 2-4 years trying to find QHs the perfect partner, or just trade him now and instead of keeping our 9th overall go all in now and add another killer piece in the BB age range. 

That is an opposite strategy.   Our D is still our weakest area what would this allow us to do to fix that?   Or another winger on top of Podz...we already have 3Cs....

Im not sure what the best case is but it is worthy of consideration.   Personally i think this is the last season we can afford to "stay the course and see how it goes".    Trades also need to happen to finish things up.    Something that drafting BPA does to a team, can only have so many UFAs plugging holes after all.   Our cap is going to be crucial and how we use it for the entire future and window of this core.    Also going to need draft picks coming up to balance the books. 

11 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Seinfeld is fictional. Doesn't mean because George improved his life by going against the grain that you base choices off of that concept. 

There are risks, and there are calculated possibilities. George fluked out. 

True story.   The only famous actor i ever met was George.   Was a couple decades ago, while in Maui went out on a search for the famous Jaws beach, the one with 50-70 foot waves.   Ended up in some farmers pineapple field with my buddy (who was actually in film, and even he got a little star struck) ... was there recording it with the camcorder, and a minivan pulled up, a six foot Olive Oil like Jewish looking gal gets out with a gaggle of kids and this little  fat balding dude gets out the drivers side and walks up to the cliff hands on hips, same sacracstic grin and looks around gives us a head nod and grin....we both started filming them instead lol.   Just so we had proof.    The waves were pretty awesome too. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, Fanuck said:

Opposite you say, Ok then:

-stand up to Aquaman and tell him the playoffs aren't the sole focus for the next 2 years. He'll have to absorb any losses but it'll all be worth it in the end - fans will understand. 

-tell Green he's got 100% support to play the kids for development purposes and wins aren't the be all end all, the process is.  Play the kids, and play them a lot.

-stay the course this summer and build through the draft, don't do anything 'aggressive', we ain't there yet.

-be thrifty with your summer spending , the cap room when we're actually contending will be worth more to us than anything it will buy this summer.

I would add: let all the teams FA's walk and give those minutes to a youth.