The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators Hire Pierre McGuire as SVP of Player Development

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Ottawa Senators hire broadcaster Pierre McGuire as senior VP of player development

5:21 AM PT
  • wyshynski_greg.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Greg WyshynskiESPN
  •  
  • Pierre McGuire has gone from "Inside the Glass" to inside the Ottawa Senators' front office.

The Senators announced early Monday that McGuire, 59, has been hired as a senior vice president of player development. The former NBC hockey analyst, whose run with the network ended this month after 15 years, will work closely with general manager Pierre Dorion and team owner Eugene Melnyk.

"On behalf of the entire Senators organization, I would like to welcome Pierre McGuire back to Ottawa," Melnyk said in a statement. "We are excited to add Pierre to our hockey management group. His experience will be instrumental as we continue to build an elite team. Pierre's knowledge of the game and its players is highly regarded and I am confident that he will positively assist our team as it progresses to the next level."

McGuire started in the NHL as a scout with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1990 and was an assistant coach in 1991-92 under Scotty Bowman when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup. McGuire moved over to the Hartford Whalers as an assistant coach, eventually adding assistant GM and head coaching duties to his résumé, leading the Hartford bench for the 1993-94 season (23-37-7) as the youngest head coach in the league at 32.

After that stint in Hartford, he was a scout for the Senators, briefly serving as assistant head coach in 1995-96.

McGuire is best known for his work as a TV hockey analyst, first with TSN

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31805455/ottawa-senators-hire-broadcaster-pierre-mcguire-senior-vp-player-development

https://www.nhl.com/senators/news/senators-appoint-pierre-mcguire-as-senior-vp-of-player-development/c-325631294

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Lol....at least we won't be subjected to his verbal diaharea on television broadcasts anymore and that's a positive. 

Good point. I would like to sincerely thank the Ottawa Senators organization for taking one for the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

He may be a good hire.  Who knows?  He's a bit creepy, and I don't know where he is coming from.  He's one of a few pundits hired by sports radio for spots, to discuss the local team, that you never hear what he really thinks.  For him its about praising the local team who's station he is on.  How optimistic he is about their future. How great all their prospects are.  That and we should all go have fun with our families.   Its about keeping those contracts with every cities stations by giving a saccharine review of the local team, and moving on to the next town.  Its smart I guess, but its all fluff. 

Pierre's words he'd like to take back:  Commenting on the Habs drafting of Carey Price way back when:  "that selection was way off the reservation".  Price is recognized as member of the Ulkatchoo First Nations (forgive me if I spelt that incorrectly)

• Haha 1