The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

5 minutes ago, RomanP said:

You have got to be kidding me. Demko, Petterson, Hughes, Boeser, Hollander, Horvat, to a lesser degree Rathbone and Juolevi - isn’t it sufficient for you from draft perspective? No one builds a team entirely on draft alone…

Agreed. Big pieces were drafted. Bad contracts gone. We've got some guys playing better than their contract values (Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Hoglander, Demko). Now's the time to compete, and fill out the supporting cast via trade and free agency. 

Last thing we need: proper shutdown D man, and we're all set for an incredible year. OEL with someone like Savard for the 1st PK unit. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly a really good take. This was the year to trade the 1st rounder - I expect a lot of busts in the 1st round, due to lack of playing time and limited scouting opportunities. He should focus on recovering picks in next year's draft and 2023. 

I'm pretty surprised this deal got done. Guenther for Garland? GREAT deal for us. 
Beagle, Roussel, LE, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, bucket of chicken for OEL? With Salary retained? Incredible deal for us.

Really not sure how Arizona benefits from this, unless Garland was not going to want to sign with them. Seems like a pretty bad deal to trade away a great top 6 forward for Dylan Guenther (potentially a top 6 but who knows)

Well, they get Geunther who might be a top 6 player, but they only have 1 year left of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel's contracts so after that they get the cap space. It's a good deal for them, but also good deal for Canucks. Also, Arizona will be doing a rebuild now

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

I’m gutted by LE’s departure Blunt. A huge void has been created. Who will do all the little things? Who will pot those crucial empty netters? 
My LE #21 Jersey is now a sad relic of better times. :P

I have the Sedin(s), Edler, Bieksa, Naslund, Linden (skate) jerseys. No regrets! 

Wish I had purchased a Lumme, Ohlund, Markstrom or unearthed a Gradin throw-back jersey, too - instead I have a few paintings, hats, #numbered toques/sticks. 

When it’s someone’s birthday, or when game night dates happen to correspond with an ex-player’s jersey #, I put that one on. It’s all good fun, good luck & I’m just  doing my part to enrich the franchise & move things along.

Stanley Cup or bust!!!!

Like I said previously somewhere, the majority of us are so invested in this ultimate quest of a SCup for this VanCiy, that it is virtually impossible to unplug. 

Pick a # OEL. I’m buying more swag! 

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 2

6 seasons  of OEL contract in

1 season of Loui

1 season Beagle

1 season  Roussel

So 6 years of OEL, who can still play for 3 years of players that really no longer can.

Those guy had become road blocks to our younger players.

Just now, gurn said:

1 season of Loui

1 season Beagle

1 season  Roussel

So 6 years of OEL, who can still play for 3 years of players that really no longer can.

What happens to OEL in 3 years?

Just now, sarjakd said:

Well, they get Geunther who might be a top 6 player, but they only have 1 year left of Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel's contracts so after that they get the cap space. It's a good deal for them, but also good deal for Canucks. Also, Arizona will be doing a rebuild now

Thats the thing though - they're giving away a guaranteed top 6 for a guy who might become a top 6. Plenty of guys drafted in the 1st round end up being busts. I remember watching Gilbert Brule play for the Giants and tearing up the WHL thinking he'd absolutely light up the NHL, and nope. 

I'm thinking both OEL and Garland expressed a desire to leave, and Garland's RFA status forced their hand. 

Arizona likely didn't get screwed (lets see what happened with Guenther) but ultimately I think we made out like bandits. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Thats the thing though - they're giving away a guaranteed top 6 for a guy who might become a top 6. Plenty of guys drafted in the 1st round end up being busts. I remember watching Gilbert Brule play for the Giants and tearing up the WHL thinking he'd absolutely light up the NHL, and nope. 

I'm thinking both OEL and Garland expressed a desire to leave, and Garland's RFA status forced their hand. 

Arizona likely didn't get screwed (lets see what happened with Guenther) but ultimately I think we made out like bandits. 

More like arizona had no interest in signing garland for who knows what reason. Wouldnt even call his agent back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

1 season of Loui

1 season Beagle

1 season  Roussel

I would say that’s probably worst case scenario. Maybe the last year or 2 he just slides down the depth chart 

17 minutes ago, alucard said:

Tbh, question whether this guy IS a legit, and/or devoted Canucks-backer. His channel is successful; but like a politician, seems he wants to be everything to everyone. The old 'please all the p, all the time' adage...

Hard for me to trust the opinion of one who claims the Canucks & Broon-goons as two of his fav teams. Is there ANY franchise a self-respecting Van loyalist hates more, over this past decade?

If one claims to back a team, just don't get how they should constantly denigrate/diminish the one who has built it(for nearly a decade), as JB has been doing. Throwing shade from such a platform(or HF, reddit, twitter, etc...) appears to me a convenient ploy to play things both ways. But I don't know, don't really follow such channels too closely.

If one really dislikes the GM/direction of their fav team, why not find a hobby to burn off a few yrs? But then, to each, their own, as they say.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bertuzzipunch said:

More like arizona had no interest in signing garland for who knows what reason. Wouldnt even call his agent back.

Brutal. Well I'm stoked we got him. Hopefully we can lock him up for a few years between 4-4.5m. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Oh, hi Taj, are you back with your bs comments?

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

I agree with that it could be that Geunther could be a bust or become the top 6 forward. I'm actually glad we didn't take the chance on Geunther. He wasn't on my list that I wanted. Time will tell in 3-4 years for Geunther.

Garland was actually surprised by the trade and he was actually wanting to stay in Arizona even through the rebuild. Wanted to retire there. Shows how much character he has and I am for one glad that he is with us. OEL we knew wanted out since 2 years ago.

Overall the trade was good for us. Made us better for sure. I'm excited for the season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Honestly a really good take. This was the year to trade the 1st rounder - I expect a lot of busts in the 1st round, due to lack of playing time and limited scouting opportunities. He should focus on recovering picks in next year's draft and 2023. 

I'm pretty surprised this deal got done. Guenther for Garland? GREAT deal for us. 
Beagle, Roussel, LE, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, bucket of chicken for OEL? With Salary retained? Incredible deal for us.

Really not sure how Arizona benefits from this, unless Garland was not going to want to sign with them. Seems like a pretty bad deal to trade away a great top 6 forward for Dylan Guenther (potentially a top 6 but who knows)

OAE’s enthusiasm is a given - but I really, really hope all the feelers were out getting every kind of assurance that Garland will sign here & for awhile. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, sarjakd said:

I agree with that it could be that Geunther could be a bust or become the top 6 forward. I'm actually glad we didn't take the chance on Geunther. He wasn't on my list that I wanted. Time will tell in 3-4 years for Geunther.

Garland was actually surprised by the trade and he was actually wanting to stay in Arizona even through the rebuild. Wanted to retire there. Shows how much character he has and I am for one glad that he is with us. OEL we knew wanted out since 2 years ago.

Overall the trade was good for us. Made us better for sure. I'm excited for the season. 

Yeah and at the very least, Guenther is not anywhere near being ready for the NHL. He wasn't going to come in and help us for at least a couple years. 

Wow I didn't know that about Garland. Good for him. Hopefully he can retire with us haha. 

Me too. This year should be incredibly exciting to watch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, viking mama said:

OAE’s enthusiasm is a given - but I really, really hope all the feelers were out getting every kind of assurance that Garland will sign here & for awhile. 

I don't think we have anything to worry about there :)
More than enough money was moved out to give him the contract he deserves as well. 

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tbh, question whether this guy IS a legit, and/or devoted Canucks-backer. His channel is successful; but like a politician, seems he wants to be everything to everyone. The old 'please all the p, all the time' adage...

Hard for me to trust the opinion of one who claims the Canucks & Broon-goons as two of his fav teams. Is there ANY franchise a self-respecting Van loyalist hates more, over this past decade?

If one claims to back a team, just don't get how they should constantly denigrate/diminish the one who has built it(for nearly a decade), as JB has been doing. Throwing shade from such a platform(or HF, reddit, twitter, etc...) appears to me a convenient ploy to play things both ways. But I don't know, don't really follow such channels too closely.

If one really dislikes the GM/direction of their fav team, why not find a hobby to burn off a few yrs? But then, to each, their own, as they say.

Shannon is great as a source for comprehensive nhl news. His takes are more level headed than most out there except when it comes to the Canucks. 

He is one of those disgruntled old timer fan that has just given up on the team and just defaults to whatever the team does is bad. 

Called him out a few times and he got really mad at me. 

That said, this was posted before we knew all the 1st tier players are gone at 9th. So his take was based on is getting one the top centers or d man and he is also suspectable to the believe that the team with the most cap space and picks wins the cup. 

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

LTIR :P

Exactly! 

That template has been clearly set out by the TBL.

Game the system, for surplus cap in players “during” play-off times. If OEL is struggling at all, injured, concussed or hurt in any way, let’s  just pull ^that maneuver. 

Nudge, nudge.

But, with our luck the NHL closes this loop-hole with restrictions or some other penalty attached. 

Edited by viking mama