The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

2 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

What? 
Pearson, Myers, Beagle etc was before bubble run.

When Benning should have gone for the 900k players he went for players earning millions.

Ferland ouch, no insurance still Benning signed him to that awful contract.

Kind of surprised me signing Ferland to that contract (that no insurer would underwrite) and then Ferland goes out almost immediately with concussion problems, that our owner didn’t fire Benning right then.  But Benning was a fantastic puppet.  Modern day “Lamb Chops”. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

26 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the team need players everywhere and Myers/OEL took the defence cap and run away with it.

We already have a 1st LD so we didn’t need OEL.

the 2nd LD should have been much cheaper.

To compare cost for needed wingers with beeded defence isn’t right. 

The team actually had plenty of wingers, so no need to acquire more. However if you are going to sign guys like Mik and Brock-some other winger or two should have been traded.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

What? 
Pearson, Myers, Beagle etc was before bubble run.

When Benning should have gone for the 900k players he went for players earning millions.

Ferland ouch, no insurance still Benning signed him to that awful contract.

Beagle out and what happened to our pk? Those 900k guys that we signed sure are doing a great job keeping our pk around 80% like beagle did. 

Pearson and Myers pre 2020 were good. They helped the team. Like i said earlier, remove your bias. 

Edited by jyu

47 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Well, the team need players everywhere and Myers/OEL took the defence cap and run away with it.

We already have a 1st LD so we didn’t need OEL.

the 2nd LD should have been much cheaper.

To compare cost for needed wingers with beeded defence isn’t right. 

Tell that to Niedermayer and Pronger. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The team actually had plenty of wingers, so no need to acquire more. However if you are going to sign guys like Mik and Brock-some other winger or two should have been traded.

Unless the new management thought that the young players could grow a bit in AHL. 
The reason Hogz and Podz joined in at once was because we didn’t have any better wingers in top 6.

Now the players have to fight for a spot.

much better…

37 minutes ago, jyu said:

Beagle out and what happened to our pk? Those 900k guys that we signed sure are doing a great job keeping our pk around 80% like beagle did. 

Pearson and Myers pre 2020 were good. They helped the team. Like i said earlier, remove your bias. 

Loui was one of the best PK also.

Pearson and Myers contracts wasn’t needed.

we could have taken 4 Fantenberg in D 

much cheaper as the window wasn’t open.

Just because Petey came flying and then Hughes Benning lost it.

When he should have saved cap for the future window he went nuts.

And not bias.

Just look at Ferlands cap. 
I’m not sure why you defend such unintelligent cap management.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kind of surprised me signing Ferland to that contract (that no insurer would underwrite) and then Ferland goes out almost immediately with concussion problems, that our owner didn’t fire Benning right then.  But Benning was a fantastic puppet.  Modern day “Lamb Chops”. 

Wasn't Lamb Chops the show that ended with "The Song That Never Ends"? That's fitting.

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Loui was one of the best PK also.

Pearson and Myers contracts wasn’t needed.

we could have taken 4 Fantenberg in D 

much cheaper as the window wasn’t open.

Just because Petey came flying and then Hughes Benning lost it.

When he should have saved cap for the future window he went nuts.

And not bias.

Just look at Ferlands cap. 
I’m not sure why you defend such unintelligent cap management.

I’m not defending his moves post 2020. I was very clear that his moves up to 2020 were alright.  some were good, some were bad. But he screwed himself over since the bubble run. 

Ok, so you think Hughes and OEL is the next Pronger/Niedermeyer duo?

No. But having two elite LDs is not a bad thing if you can have them. 

hey, I’m surprised that you are throwing your Swedish buddy OEL under the bus. 

• Cheers 1

Making this deal made us so much better in the last 2 years and for years to come and we got to spend money in doing so, while giving up good picks (pro):blink:

This has to be right up there with one of the worst trades made though (against)

I remember the NHL media saying then how bad this trade was and many here saying they know nothing

Looks like media who contradict the Canucks moves are not always wrong

They didn't even require hindsight to get this right

15 minutes ago, jyu said:

If we had appropriate partners for both of them, the ability to have Hughes and OEL out there for ~50 minutes of a 60 minute game would be a HUGE plus.

9 hours ago, Timråfan said:

No beed for hindsight when it was as clear as it was back then. 

One year of bad contracts only.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:24 PM, Timråfan said:

Ehh, I think Benning is a loser but this trade works fine for me. 

....ummmm, it was so clear that even you knew it was a bad trade back on July 23, 2021, lol.  

You just proved my point....hindsight is 20-20 and people like you thought this trade wasn't as bad as you think it is now.  It's all good though.....it was reasonable to "hope" that OEL would get his groove back and Garland would continue playing as well as he did when he first became a Canuck.  If this were the case, this trade wouldn't have been terrible.  As it is, it's an unfortunate situation, but not a terrible one like the player moved the other way in that trade.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Well, Karlsson is elite, not OEL. 

The bias bit is very confusing it seems. You seem to be very biased since you defend spending all cap without any result to show for it.

Objectivity is something I hold dear. 

As journalists should do. 

The one thing you can complain about is where I am rooted traditionwise. Hence I don.'t like egomaniacs, leaders that don.t protect the weakest links etc. 

If OEL had 4 mill  I wouldn't bother.

Then he can run PP2 and we all are happy with it.  But not for over 7 mill.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

....ummmm, it was so clear that even you knew it was a bad trade back on July 23, 2021, lol.  

You just proved my point....hindsight is 20-20 and people like you thought this trade wasn't as bad as you think it is now.  It's all good though.....it was reasonable to "hope" that OEL would get his groove back and Garland would continue playing as well as he did when he first became a Canuck.  If this were the case, this trade wouldn't have been terrible.  As it is, it's an unfortunate situation, but not a terrible one like the player moved the other way in that trade.

You will probably find some posts back then where I argue why he did the trade when it was only one year left of the vets contracts. 

If Benning had waited one year he could have used the cap better. 

But I was fine with it as I'm fine with Miller contract and I dislike Millers affect on the team.

23 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

The only time Benning used cap better was RFA contracts. Don't fool yourself into thinking that if he had 12 million to spend that he would have spent it wisely.

You will probably find some posts back then where I argue why he did the trade when it was only one year left of the vets contracts. 

But I was fine with it as I'm fine with Miller contract and I dislike Millers affect on the team.

OK

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Niedermayer and Pronger played together. Niedermayer played primarily on the right side his entire career. First with Scott Stevens and then with Chris Pronger. 

Those Devils cup teams, were boring as hell, to watch but it made NJ, a three time cup champs; and now they seemed to be ready to contend, after rebuilding for a few years, whilst, JB was doing his retool, from hell...

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

It's not about them being a contender. He played musical chairs and lost. There were no teams left with cap to sign him, and so he signed a 1 year deal to try and cash in this coming summer, while likely be traded to s contender this TDL. He'll be looking for a Myers-like deal +/- $6x6 (if not more with inflation), this summer.

Rod took a cheap 1 year to play on a contender. If he doesn't re-up there, he's likely looking for ~$3x3-4 years.

Exactly, I don't mind giving him a 1 year deal since and he can be flipped in the TDL if Vancouver is going to miss the playoffs

As for Rodrigues ... 3 x 3 is still better than 5 x 5.