The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The more I’ve thought about it and from piecing together various takes I think I’ve got Rutherford’s big move figured out 

Rutherford wants to change the room 

He’s always been high on JT Miller 

Wants to accumulate cap space 

wants to get faster 

Im predicting

Rurherford keeps the 15th overall pick 

Rutherford trades: 

To Van

2nd overall pick 

To NJ: 

Bo Horvat 

Michael Dipietro 

Drafts 2nd overall

15th overall

re signs Miller 

Re signs Boeser 

Signs UFA 3rd line Center 

Cannot see Horvat being moved over Miller. Miller is older and will be more expensive to keep and needs a new contract at a really tricky stage of his career.

I'd love to keep Miller, but am completely good with moving him if the right circumstances pop up. If we could snag the #2 OA, I'd be pretty happy with that, would put us about 2 years till our window really opens.

• Like 1

JR seems like a bold guy, who's not afraid to shake things up to do what he wants to do. The Canucks, not having a 2nd this year or much in the pool, desperately need prospects and picks.

Trading a guy like Horvat, for example, would not only free up cap space, it would bring back prospect(s) or a high draft pick. or some type of combination. Bo is going to be an expensive #3C on the Canucks, if they move forward with Miller and Pettersson.

Lots of good players in the Draft, Canucks need another Top 40 pick, and prospects to eventually make Abbotsford the best team in the AHL, like JR wants to do.

EDIT - Saying this though, they could also trade Miller and move forward with Pettersson / Horvat. If they do this, I think they'll want to bring in more leadership, character players. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, R3aL said:

Lambert is a swing for the fences whereas Kasper is a runner on base. 

im not going to say lambert is a bad pick at 15 but there could be others available that offer high upside without as much risk as lambert. But I’ve heard both sides for and against lambert and I think since he’s:

1. a C

2. an elite skater

3. a known name and been scouted closely for a long time

4.  Able to explain his stats ( trade, system, line mates, deployment)

5. a clear and recent comparable in raty

he gets taken before we pick.

I would be excited if we got Lambert at 15, he has game breaking skill and has played two full years of pro hockey already (plus 4 pro games as a 15/16 year old). If a team drafts him and gets him on the right development path he could be a home run. As long as he is not another Virtanen and has major personality flaws. He could be brought over to Abbotsford next year I believe.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think we still go Schenn Hughes since they have good chem. And that's a great value pairing.

OEL Peeke

Dermot Myers 

Ya I’m not sure if this is good enough.

But it’s def an improvement over poolman with some upside and if it could come with a first round pick and a prospect I’m in.

say they give us the 12th and one of their prospects outside of Johnson / sillinger. 

Picking at 12, 1 of the drafts top 5 D should be there and we could then trade down our 15th pick easier too leaving the draft with a much better stocked prospect cupboard that’s had a big gap. 

rolling out: 

OEL-PEEKE

HUGHES-SCHENN

DERMOTT-MYERS

RATHBONE knocking on the door 

HUNT hard not to imagine him being resigned as a depth guy

not a huge upgrade, but it is an upgrade on what we started with last year and if everyone improves upon last year too overall could be okay.

With the 12th pick I’d love for us to get one of Mateychuk or Mintyukov I really don’t think either will be there at 15 and like them both a lot. 

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

JR seems like a bold guy, who's not afraid to shake things up to do what he wants to do. The Canucks, not having a 2nd this year or much in the pool, desperately need prospects and picks.

Trading a guy like Horvat, for example, would not only free up cap space, it would bring back prospect(s) or a high draft pick. or some type of combination. Bo is going to be an expensive #3C on the Canucks, if they move forward with Miller and Pettersson.

Lots of good players in the Draft, Canucks need another Top 40 pick, and prospects to eventually make Abbotsford the best team in the AHL, like JR wants to do.

EDIT - Saying this though, they could also trade Miller and move forward with Pettersson / Horvat. If they do this, I think they'll want to bring in more leadership, character players. 

I think its smarter to move Bo

As you said, expensive 3c (assuming Miller stays, and in reality one of them has to go). He will likely command a higher value because he is a very good 2c, is seen around the league as a prototypical 2c and leader, but won't have to be overpaid and is younger than Miller....so alot to like on a comparative basis in a cap world. So from an asset management perspective, other than 1.5 years age difference and some money, the better player should always be kept particularly, if the lesser player will actually bring you back more!

I also look at this team's core and compare it to say Colorado.

Goal - we have a franchise goalie (we are better than them there)

Elite franchise Center - MacKinnon / Petey. Clearly NM is better but Petey is no slouch and we have that "slot" covered

Elite puck moving, franchise Dman - Makar / Quinn - as above, we have that slot filled

Veteran, heart and Soul leader 2c - Landeskog / Miller - match up perfectly

Elite RD/LD partner for top offensive dman - Toews / hole for Vancouver

Scoring winger - Rantannen / Boeser

Power forward - Nikushkin / Podz

when you look at our team - the core is not at the same level but pretty darn close. We're better in net, close at center, and really only lack the 1RD and depth.

Trading Bo could solve those issues. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Elite franchise Center - MacKinnon / Petey. Clearly NM is better but Petey is no slouch and we have that "slot" covered  3 years younger

Elite puck moving, franchise Dman - Makar / Quinn - as above, we have that slot filled   1 year younger but Makar quite a bit further ahead 

Veteran, heart and Soul leader 2c - Landeskog / Miller - match up perfectly   Same age

Scoring winger - Rantannen / Boeser   Same age but young

Power forward - Nikushkin / Podz   7 years younger

Different timelines I think we are about 2-3 years behind Colorado. Petey needs to be performing at an elite level and driving the ship. Our core is age in essentially Hughes and Petey 22-23. We still have cap issues to work out as well that Colorado doesn't have. 

In three years from now: 

Petey 26 years old

Hughes 25 years old 

Boeser 28 years old

Horvat 30 years old 

Podz 23 years old 

Demko 29 years old

I think this team should be able to compete for the cup just have to be patient and manage the cap like a surgeon. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 hours ago, R3aL said:

Ya I’m not sure if this is good enough.

But it’s def an improvement over poolman with some upside and if it could come with a first round pick and a prospect I’m in.

say they give us the 12th and one of their prospects outside of Johnson / sillinger. 

Picking at 12, 1 of the drafts top 5 D should be there and we could then trade down our 15th pick easier too leaving the draft with a much better stocked prospect cupboard that’s had a big gap. 

rolling out: 

OEL-PEEKE

HUGHES-SCHENN

DERMOTT-MYERS

RATHBONE knocking on the door 

HUNT hard not to imagine him being resigned as a depth guy

not a huge upgrade, but it is an upgrade on what we started with last year and if everyone improves upon last year too overall could be okay.

With the 12th pick I’d love for us to get one of Mateychuk or Mintyukov I really don’t think either will be there at 15 and like them both a lot. 

I'd much rather Burr over Hunt. But he's Boudreaus baby boy so you're probably right. I think Rathbone gets a lil early season showcase if he's still here. I doubt he's here by xmas. The reality is we need a far more boring PKing LD to get OEL some better deployment. Not another PP QB  with some flash and dash with a side of Big Minus when the dust settles. Don't get me wrong I think it was a huge blunder not getting him in more games last year. 

I'd much rather Bichsel over Matey or Minty I'm more interested in a all situations physically dominant D who can play Defense.  But if I was picking from the two I'd take Mateychuk.

I like Bichsel as much or more than I liked Simon Edvinsson last year. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

The more I’ve thought about it and from piecing together various takes I think I’ve got Rutherford’s big move figured out 

Rutherford wants to change the room 

He’s always been high on JT Miller 

Wants to accumulate cap space 

wants to get faster 

Im predicting

Rurherford keeps the 15th overall pick 

Rutherford trades: 

To Van

2nd overall pick 

To NJ: 

Bo Horvat 

Michael Dipietro 

Drafts 2nd overall

15th overall

re signs Miller 

Re signs Boeser 

Signs UFA 3rd line Center 

In NJ, won't Horvat play 3C for them? Jack Hughes and Hischier are probably already entrenched as 1C and 2C. The 2nd overall pick seems like a high price to pay for a 3C.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

In NJ, won't Horvat play 3C for them? Jack Hughes and Hischier are probably already entrenched as 1C and 2C. The 2nd overall pick seems like a high price to pay for a 3C.

Hischier would be better served as a 3rd line center or 2nd line winger. NJ doesn’t need anymore prospects 2-3 years away from making an impact. Horvat fits there age Window and his leadership abilities would go along way with a young team 

I don’t know if Horvat would agree though. Would most likely have to agree to a contract extension prior to the trade happening 

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

True, but wouldn't it be nice to have him as a 3rd center, not as a "3C"? I'd like Horvat, Miller and Pettersson each centering a line for approximately 18 minutes per game. The 4th line would get 6 minutes to rock and rol (more or less)l. There would also be room for variation based on penalties, who is hot and who isn't, game situations and so on.

regards,  G.

8 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

I think its smarter to move Bo

As you said, expensive 3c (assuming Miller stays, and in reality one of them has to go). He will likely command a higher value because he is a very good 2c, is seen around the league as a prototypical 2c and leader, but won't have to be overpaid and is younger than Miller....so alot to like on a comparative basis in a cap world. So from an asset management perspective, other than 1.5 years age difference and some money, the better player should always be kept particularly, if the lesser player will actually bring you back more!

I also look at this team's core and compare it to say Colorado.

Elite franchise Center - MacKinnon / Petey. Clearly NM is better but Petey is no slouch and we have that "slot" covered

Elite puck moving, franchise Dman - Makar / Quinn - as above, we have that slot filled

Veteran, heart and Soul leader 2c - Landeskog / Miller - match up perfectly

Scoring winger - Rantannen / Boeser

Power forward - Nikushkin / Podz

when you look at our team - the core is not at the same level but pretty darn close. We're better in net, close at center, and really only lack the 1RD and depth.

Trading Bo could solve those issues. 

While we do have a good core, Hughes is no Makar and Boeser is certainly not a Rantanen.

After his first year Mikko has been over a PPG player. 

Nichushkin has been pretty average until this year,he is 27, hoping Podz develops quicker than he has. 

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

While we do have a good core, Hughes is no Makar and Boeser is certainly not a Rantanen.

After his first year Mikko has been over a PPG player. 

Nichushkin has been pretty average until this year,he is 27, hoping Podz develops quicker than he has. 

Not suggesting they are the 'same' - what I was suggesting is we have the key pieces....you need a legit 1c 90pt offensive leader, you need a legit puck moving d, a star goalie, etc etc.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-final-edition/

Some interesting views in this article (new) from sportsnet....worth a read

This draft projects to be one full of volatility and two key elements are contributing to the uncertainty. First, we have players who have missed significant development time. Second, we will have teams back on the draft floor, live and in-person which should lead to more conversation and more business getting done on or before July 7.

The volatility may start as early as the first pick. Shane Wright, granted exceptional status into the OHL, has owned top spot for the better part of three years. But now he has two challengers in Logan Cooley and Juraj Slafkovsky, who had strong finishes to their respective seasons. It was clearly evident speaking to scouts and executives at the NHL Combine that the gap between Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky is as tight as any draft we have experienced in recent times. Often there's a debate over the top two projected picks -- think Tavares/Hedman, or Taylor vs. Tyler -- but rarely the top three. 

Aside from this talented trio, things will start to scattershoot after the top eight picks, which is much earlier than we are used to. Typically, we have some certainty as to the first half of the draft, but this year we have some level of certainty in the first quarter of the opening round, or the first eight picks. 

There’s also volatility based on where we project the top-end defencemen to go, and how early will they go? Simon Nemec and David Jiricek sit in one tier, with the added value of shooting from the right side. Kevin Korchinski, Pavel Mintyukov, Denton Mateychuk and Owen Pickering occupy the second tier. After that, who knows? 

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

Not suggesting they are the 'same' - what I was suggesting is we have the key pieces....you need a legit 1c 90pt offensive leader, you need a legit puck moving d, a star goalie, etc etc.

Our core three are very good, but clearly some other teams have better.  So, for us to compete with those clubs, we need to have a superior supporting cast.

Although, we do have Demko, who is the biggest difference maker.  

• Like 1

JR never had a rebuilding team in PIT, always a contender with Crosby and Malkin, and he hardly drafted in the 1st round. Canucks are in a different spot, so I'm really interested to see how VAN drafts, who they target.

I always thought of Benning as having a keen eye for talent and drafting, but he actually wasn't that good, thinking back. Hughes and Podkolzin fell in his lap. Pettersson was probably Gradin's recommendation. 

I like that it will be a team effort, different perspectives and a lot of hockey experience.  Putting together a list, they'll be using analytics and hopefully making the smart choices. Then once those players are in the system, the Sedins, Komisarek and Samuelsson will develop them into good, competitive players.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/sportsnets-2022-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings-final-edition/

Some interesting views in this article (new) from sportsnet....worth a read

This draft projects to be one full of volatility and two key elements are contributing to the uncertainty. First, we have players who have missed significant development time. Second, we will have teams back on the draft floor, live and in-person which should lead to more conversation and more business getting done on or before July 7.

The volatility may start as early as the first pick. Shane Wright, granted exceptional status into the OHL, has owned top spot for the better part of three years. But now he has two challengers in Logan Cooley and Juraj Slafkovsky, who had strong finishes to their respective seasons. It was clearly evident speaking to scouts and executives at the NHL Combine that the gap between Wright, Cooley and Slafkovsky is as tight as any draft we have experienced in recent times. Often there's a debate over the top two projected picks -- think Tavares/Hedman, or Taylor vs. Tyler -- but rarely the top three. 

Aside from this talented trio, things will start to scattershoot after the top eight picks, which is much earlier than we are used to. Typically, we have some certainty as to the first half of the draft, but this year we have some level of certainty in the first quarter of the opening round, or the first eight picks. 

There’s also volatility based on where we project the top-end defencemen to go, and how early will they go? Simon Nemec and David Jiricek sit in one tier, with the added value of shooting from the right side. Kevin Korchinski, Pavel Mintyukov, Denton Mateychuk and Owen Pickering occupy the second tier. After that, who knows? 

I'll admit I know very little about this entire class, but at 15 I am really pulling for Korchinski (LHD). But it looks like most mocks and rankings have him going before us. But he sounds like a great fit. Almost seems like a moderate floor, but high ceiling type pick which is perfect in the mid 1st

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I'll admit I know very little about this entire class, but at 15 I am really pulling for Korchinski (LHD). But it looks like most mocks and rankings have him going before us. But he sounds like a great fit. Almost seems like a moderate floor, but high ceiling type pick which is perfect in the mid 1st

I guess the kids coming out of Russiia will have to play 3 years in KHL