The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Jimbo's moves and this off-season

Rate this topic

Silky mitts

24 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

JB said he would try to get another Russian guy to keep Podz company! So.. I am really curious if he'd do that... 

I highly doubt the fanbase here wanna see Guddy ever again... He's a nice sweet guy but just couldn't do a decent job defensively for us... 

Guddy should be an assistant or something, or a commentator. I don't hate the guy. When he came here, he was severely overpaid, which I KNOW oldnews will disagree ;)

That being said, Guddy did give it his all. I don't think anyone can deny that from him. He might not have an offensive game, but he's a character guy.

I give him an A-

Love the OEL/Garland trade.

I really do think OEL will rebound and have a good season while we got rid of all our cap issues with this trade and the Schmidt trade

I think we'll look back and see OEL as an upgrade on Schmidt.

Adding Garland was clutch.  This team is gonna be really tough to play against with the styles of Hogz, Garland, Podz, McEwan, Dickinson.  Not big guys but hard skaters that are puck hounds.  EP is solid 2 way. Boeser showed an impressive 2 way and better skating last year afer recovering from injuries. Horvat is solid. Miller will need to up his level from last year.

Only reason for A- though is not enough done on the back end.  I like Hamonic and Schenn. Dunno much about Hunt. Not sure how to feel about Poolman But I would have preferred to take all 4 salaries and put it towards a bonafide top 4 star d-man and a 6th d-man to pair with either Rathbone or Juolevi (Maybe that's Schenn?)

Edit forgot about Sutter.

I am not a fan of him but at 1m, he is a steal and will be well worth it

Edited by CanucksJay

17 hours ago, RomanP said:

So, all 3 of your "bads" are "let's see how they perform"? Perhaps it's just a "question mark" then, not "bad"?

I dont agree with Hamonic in the bad category, I actually really like the signing. The reason the other two I would agree could be labeled bad because even though they are a "wait and see how they play", the long term of the two contracts with the uncertainty of how they will perform here creates too much cap risk for the organization. Thus can be considered bad moves for the long term success of the team.  

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Lot of wait and see.

Obviously dumping all that cap and coming away with Garland was a win. OEL could go either way, that's a helluva commitment. Arizona retaining some cap makes it a bit better though. I figure OEL will look better on a better team, all OEL's done for most of his career is be a top player on a team that loses a lot. Whether I'm right or not remains to be seen. 

I like how Benning and co have stocked up Abbotsford, it'll benefit any of our prospects who play there and provide us with some solid depth. 

The Sutter deal is great, anyone who complains about Sutter at 1x1 is out of their mind. Dude wins faceoffs, plays heavy defensive minutes, PK's, is good in the locker room, is a known quantity, and can chip in the odd goal. Could have easily gotten more term and money elsewhere imo. 

Schenn is a depth guy we've had before, back from having won a couple cups. If he was good enough to play games for Tampa he's good enough for us. Good contract, good depth guy. 

By all accounts Dickinson is a good defensive player, what his deal ends up being remains to be seen, but defensive players are important. Solid add at a fair cost. 

Hammer's deal is fair, if anything we probably got a discount. Glad to have him back, I figure he'll start this season off looking better than last with a training camp, preseason, ect. He hadn't played in forever when he jumped in with us last season. 

Halak is a solid, experienced goaltender on a short contract at reasonable dollars. Nothing to complain about. 

I'm fine with the Poolman deal, 2.5 ain't a ton and he should be serviceable. He's not the guy on his pairing you're going to count on for offense, but he'll likely PK and mind our defensive zone. We've got guys who can rush, shoot, and pass the puck already. Having a guy who brings a bit less in the offensive zone won't hurt us too much if he can play effectively in our end. 

Still waiting on Petey and Hughes, so I can't make a judgement regarding that yet. 

Poolman has move upside on the point production side then people are giving him credit for. Look at his overall stats he has produced at every level of hockey, including the NHL. I do not understand why only one year of his play is being considered. 

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=144209

16 hours ago, danaimo said:

Jim's offseason to do list

1. Dump bad contracts - Tick

2. Sign Petey and Huggy - Pending

3.Get top pairing Dman - Tick 

4. Get top six winger - Tick

5. Improve bottom six forwards - Tick

I'm not sure what any Canuck fan could have wanted more from GMJB.  Time will tell if OEL can put up the numbers has done in the past but if he gets 45+pts and is positive +/- for the next 3 years then the money was worth it.  So far he is 4/5 on his to do list and hopefully he can make it 5/5 in the next few weeks.

He has done a really great job this offseason, but I would argue signing Hughes and Petey to long term deals is the most important item on that list. So if he can get those done he gets an A grade from me, but if doesn't get both of them locked up long term on team friendly contracts probably looking at a C+ imo.  

I liked the Dickinson pickup, the fact that he finally starts caring about our AHL team, and that he isn't dramatically overpaying for 4th liners anymore.

I hated what he did with the defence and it makes it impossible for me to call this offseason good.

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He has done a really great job this offseason, but I would argue signing Hughes and Petey to long term deals is the most important item on that list. So if he can get those done he gets an A grade from me, but if doesn't get both of them locked up long term on team friendly contracts probably looking at a C+ imo.  

It is an almost impossible if, but the only one that would not sign is Petey. If an offer sheet is too high for the Canucks, like 10+ million for 6-8 years. The good of this, a ton of draft picks would be coming back to the Canucks. 

Edited by vancan2233
spelling

3 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

So JP thinks jim aint done trading. Wouldnt be surprised if he deals jouveli trying to get a 2nd or something. 

that caught my ear too. I guess moving OJ is possible but hopefully not just for a pick, I'd prefer a more developed prospect back. 

7 minutes ago, Josepho said:

I liked the Dickinson pickup, the fact that he finally starts caring about our AHL team, and that he isn't dramatically overpaying for 4th liners anymore.

I hated what he did with the defence and it makes it impossible for me to call this offseason good.

The defence is, was always going to be a point of concern no matter who was signed. Overall they are better than last year on paper, but no one knows how they will play together. I can still remember the year Carolina won the cup, and if you asked someone to name their top defence man most could not answer the question.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that caught my ear too. I guess moving OJ is possible but hopefully not just for a pick, I'd prefer a more developed prospect back. 

I don't think it makes sense to trade Juolevi, especially for the so-called 'more developed' prospect.

1) Juolevi is probably very cheap to re-sign, unless he wants out and/or management is done with him (both of which I think are unlikely possibilities). Moreover, he can be buried in the farm if need be.

2) Juolevi likely has little value WORTH trading away for.

3) You won't get a more developed prospect back unless he cost too much (also nonsensical)

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think it makes sense to trade Juolevi, especially for the so-called 'more developed' prospect.

1) Juolevi is probably very cheap to re-sign, unless he wants out and/or management is done with him (both of which I think are unlikely possibilities). Moreover, he can be buried in the farm if need be.

2) Juolevi likely has little value WORTH trading away for.

3) You won't get a more developed prospect back unless he cost too much (also nonsensical)

I think OJ needs to clear waivers to go to the minors, right?  I think it’s almost certain he’d get claimed.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Josepho said:

Who did you want on defence? Barrie? Hamilton? Ceci? :picard:

You complain about 'overpaying', and then you complain about having reliable players at reasonable costs.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

OJ needs to clear waivers to go to the minors.  I think it’s almost certain he’d get claimed.  

Would OJ really be claimed? Does he really have a spot in the NHL, other than Vancouver?

I think it's pretty unlikely. The most value Juolevi has is to Vancouver.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think rebuilding teams would claim him.  Buffalo, Arizona, etc.  

Then IMHO, Juolevi will likely stay on the main roster. He's a cheap option to have.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think rebuilding teams would claim him.  Buffalo, Arizona, etc.  

they'd grab him up in a heartbeat. 

I guess AZ might want to use one of those many 2nd rounders they collected on him, since they would have waiver wire teams ahead of them. 

But I'd rather try to keep him and see how he does for the 1st 20-30 games. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Who did you want on defence? Barrie? Hamilton? Ceci? :picard:

You complain about 'overpaying', and then you complain about having reliable players at reasonable costs.

OEL has a worse contract then all of those guys, so yes I'd prefer any of them.

Doing that trade for Brenden Dillon would've been smarter. Maybe would've offered St. Louis something for Vince Dunn. Winnipeg had Demelo exposed, possibly could've offered some sort of package for him. Not that I would've liked this move, but I would probably rather offer Martinez a big deal than give one to OEL. Guys like Hakanpaa and Pysyk are going for far better deals than Poolman.

A GM never HAS to make a move.

What "reliable players at reasonable costs" are you referring to? I'm not complaining about contracts like Schenn/Hunt.

• Haha 2