The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Jimbo's moves and this off-season

Rate this topic

Silky mitts

I’m hoping we go Defense the next 3 drafts regardless of where we are picking. First and second round picks if we have them. The next 5 years should be our window and we need some high end D prospects that are labeled “can’t miss” top 4.

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not trying to crap on your opinion

But I honestly think there will be a resuffling of the Dmen we have

I think that there will be guys that play on the PP more than others...aka Quinn Hughes

But at even strength, Hughes will get reduced minutes, especially becaue we have OEL who won't get as many PP minutes

but will get more even strength minutes than Quinn

This leads me to Rathbone, and Juolevi, both of whom I believe play better even strength than Hughes

Sooooo.........I feel

Hughes will get his 4 minutes a game of PP and about 14 minutes of Even strength.........................................................................17 to 19 minutes a game

OEL will see limited minutes on the PP average about half of Hughes PP minutes but will get more even strength minutes............19 to 21 minutes a game

Rathbone and Juolevi will fight for the scraps.........................

The point is Hughes will get less minutes even strength

Hope you're right Jan. 

QH was ridden like a rented mule at times last season, and his play dipped from it...

Less minutes should him play stronger during those minutes 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hope you're right Jan. 

QH was ridden like a rented mule at times last season, and his play dipped from it...

Less minutes should him play stronger during those minutes 

The one thing that really bugged me with coaching last year was the use of Quinn. They shouldn’t have done him like that. Still a very young player 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

The one thing that really bugged me with coaching last year was the use of Quinn. They shouldn’t have done him like that. Still a very young player 

Agree. It was frustrating at times to down rigth worrisome as his confidence could be shattered or worse, severe injury could have been the outcome. 

• Cheers 1

Our defense is weak. Very weak , defensively. Offensively,  they should be good .

Goal tending depends on the continued improvement of Demko  of coarse . Should be solid.

I like Garland and hoping Podkolzin turns into the stud that we think he is .

Dickinson is OK. Time will tell.

We need Petey back to 100%.

If this team is going anywhere this year we will need to be a offensive power house.

They will be very exciting to watch or the same disorganized mess that spends way too much time in their own end. It looks like they have the horses to take it to their opponents. 

Could be a fun year.

Now if this Covid garbage would go away.

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The OP has a bizarre take.  We are literally on day 2 of free agency and the fans are trying to grade what happened.  That's not how things work.  When it comes to acquisitions, how can you assess how good or bad the signing truly was when they haven't even played a game yet?  Ferland seemed like a good signing.  Eriksson and Holtby seemed like okay signings.  The whole "let's wait and see" applies to Garland just as much as it does to the Poolman.  Hell it's going to apply to Hughes and Pettersson when they get paid too.  Let's say they both get $7 mil for however long.  If Hughes struggles as badly as he did this past year, it will be bad.  If Petey can't stay healthy, it will be bad.  The point being that acquisitions take time to figure out if it worked out or not.

Losses, on the other hand, can be assessed more quickly.  Last year, we lost a lot.  Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher, and Leivo.  The loss of talent wasn't really replaced, and the team really struggled because of it.  It also annoyed fans because all those five guys just walked.  This offseason, we let Edler walk.  Everyone else was either traded or bought out.  Every single player who did poorly was unloaded.  Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Holtby, Virtanen, Schmidt.  All gone.  Most of them were Benning's mistakes to begin with, but they are now gone.  Even if it was partly cleaning up his own mess and at a high price, he did what had to be done.

This is all coming from a pretty big Benning hater too.  Jet Black Jim, Benning, I love all them memes.

Letting players "walk" only happens if the don't have a NTC/NMC.    It also needs to looked at from what result occurred because we "let them all walk"...that is 17 playoff type games, fourth most in history...and even without MIN then still as many as the Sedins ever managed other then our fun to the final.    A team cant rebuilt forever ... even though it takes a decade now for a top team to recover after been a top team.    I agree we can't judge yet though.   But i'm sure if we threw out our pool, a couple firsts too, to jam in the exact same team that was thrashed by Vegas that would have been suicide as far as the next steps go.   JB took the hard but right route - not the easy one he already had.    Not sure it was the right path yet myself yet either, but for sure better then losing Demko, keeping JM, Tanev, TT etc.   Because we'd have zero cap left for anyone.   The team we have now is younger, and on paper at least, a better one.    Hopefully it all works out. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Podz19 said:

I read a lot on Garland after the trade as i was upset we gave up the first and took on a long contract. 

AZ fans were pissed, they saw him as their best young player, better than Keller! 

Apparently, tons of speed, goes to the hard areas, competes, and is a leader. On the Canucks he will thrive and he has the attitude we need. Suggest just googling on him and you will see, he’s going to really make a difference in our top 6. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/primetimesportstalk.com/2021/02/05/arizona-coyotes-conor-garland-one-of-the-nhls-most-underrated-talents/amp/

The comparison of Yamamoto makes me excited. Because Yamamoto plays like Hoglander. 

And Hoglander is the goat. 

If the comparison to Gallagher is even remotely close a 1st round pick is a ridiculous thing to give him away for. 

50 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The comparison of Yamamoto makes me excited. Because Yamamoto plays like Hoglander. 

And Hoglander is the goat. 

If the comparison to Gallagher is even remotely close a 1st round pick is a ridiculous thing to give him away for. 

If you watch the highlights, you'll see Garland drives to the hard areas. Guy is fearless, like Hoglander. His play will rub off on A LOT of players.

And it's interesting because Garland is actually 5'8, not 5'10. He confirms this size difference in the interview, but you'd NEVER see this size concern from last season's clips.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1

Jimbo getting a lot of kudos from all around the hockey world - with the exception being the negative nancy’s in the Vancouver media of course - and I love to see it. Sure, some of his moves were “fixing” his own mistakes but at least he manned up and dealt with them.

I’ll be in Abby for all of Training Camp. Hope to see some of you there!

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Sportsnet gave Jimbo a D+, but gave Edmonton a B+, and Toronto got a C+...

TSN said Vancouver was the most improved Canadian team this off season and Edmonton was the worst. sportsnet , i wouldn't worry about, their media guys and their stories are all full of bull!!!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

FWIW, Sportsnet gave Jimbo a D+, but gave Edmonton a B+, and Toronto got a C+...

I saw that I was surprised....I mean sure give Van a D+ but Montreal gets a Z for what they did.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

did you notice who wrote that article - the "Sport Logiq staff". So the slide rule kids don't like Jim's moves. Oh well. Most of their take on the changes are two paragraphs whining about Poolman :picard:

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

Our defense is weak. Very weak , defensively. Offensively,  they should be good .

Goal tending depends on the continued improvement of Demko  of coarse . Should be solid.

I like Garland and hoping Podkolzin turns into the stud that we think he is .

Dickinson is OK. Time will tell.

We need Petey back to 100%.

If this team is going anywhere this year we will need to be a offensive power house.

They will be very exciting to watch or the same disorganized mess that spends way too much time in their own end. It looks like they have the horses to take it to their opponents. 

Could be a fun year.

Now if this Covid garbage would go away.

And, part of that offensive power house is getting a power play that is dominant.  

• Cheers 1