The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thoughts on Jimbo's moves and this off-season

Rate this topic

Silky mitts

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I’m not sure why you show how bad OEL was compared to Hamilton. 
Thanks for proving my point. Wise of you. B)

I didn't realize you don't know how to count. Let me get a crayon for you.

Dougie Hamilton

image.thumb.png.58326261982a44e06aab11bfdeb3b9fa.pngimage.thumb.png.9371a0d8f554581f7366532f2a489735.png

So OEL has 388 vs Hamilton's 341.

You're saying Hamilton is worth more? Don't quit your day job.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Garland is a great example. This is his first move away from the team that drafted him. He's been in Arizona's system for 5 years. He has now signed a 5 year deal with the Canucks at 25 years old. If he stays in Vancouver 3 years, he would already have moved half the amount Dougie has. If he is moved 2 more times in the next 3 years, just like Dougie, I would question whether there are locker room or fit issues

Nobody's ever brought that up media wise.   Offer sheeted (first trade) second one a hockey trade both teams got who they wanted.   This one his UFA deal.   Sure he's been around a little, doesn't mean he's got any "locker room issues".  Too bad we didn't get him.   Jovo.  Was he a locker room issue too? 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think the Canucks should consider trading Pearson. I think he has some value and honestly they could likely sign gusev for less who would help bring up podkolzin

Trade Pearson for a pick and sign gusev for 2 mil saves 1 mil cap. 

Miller pettersson Boeser

Hoglander horvat garland

Gusev Dickinson podkolzin

Petan Sutter Motte 

Just throwing this out there....any concerns from peeps that the second line is small?  Not sure what to think of the size?

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dougie Hamilton

image.thumb.png.58326261982a44e06aab11bfdeb3b9fa.pngimage.thumb.png.9371a0d8f554581f7366532f2a489735.png

Seeing guys like Jones, Doogie, and Werenski getting 9 and up, I’m very happy we have OEL for 7.  He’s going to lead us to a great year, and many more to come.  He’s still young!  Just turned 30!  Contract ends when he’s 35.  And we got 

Garland for his prime too!  And we dumped all our craperolla.  Benning should get his own friggin’ bobble head.  :frantic:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Dougie Hamilton

Look at the games played.   Also the plus minus.   If you really want to go do a deep dive over the last four years and you will find out Hamilton is the best or one of the best 5x5 producers in the entire league - RHD or not.   He's also 6'6" not like OEL, contact isn't a big part of his game but he is that tall.   Also before he broke his leg two years ago he was the front runner for the Norris.   Plus 30 in 47 games is sick.    CAR is going to miss him...

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Look at the games played.   Also the plus minus.   If you really want to go do a deep dive over the last four years and you will find out Hamilton is the best or one of the best 5x5 producers in the entire league - RHD or not.   He's also 6'6" not like OEL, contact isn't a big part of his game but he is that tall.   Also before he broke his leg two years ago he was the front runner for the Norris.   Plus 30 in 47 games is sick.    CAR is going to miss him...

He (timrafan) said Hamilton produced more points by a mile.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He (timrafan) said Hamilton produced more points by a mile.

That is simply not true lol.  Also OEL vs Hamilton now ... hmmm.  NJ sucks so bad so meh.   We are going to kill it!

Edited by IBatch

I think that Benning has been working over the bottom 6 for some time now.  Obviously he is looking for better players at the right price.  

Last year he added:

1. Highmore
  2. Hawryluk
  3. Vessey
  4. Boyd
  5. Mickaelis

Highmore is the only one that is back.

1. Highmore
  2. Dickinson
  3. DiGiuseppe
  4. Dowling
  5. Petan

Keeping in mind that Garland was added to the top 6 so one of Hoglander or Pearson will be bumped down and Podkolzin will likely play on the 3rd line

I expected that Hawryluk and Boyd would be retained as depth but no.  Dickinson is certainly an upgrade but are the rest?

My read on the bottom 6 is

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Sutter Motte

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Benning has been working over the bottom 6 for some time now.  Obviously he is looking for better players at the right price.  

Last year he added:

1. Highmore
  2. Hawryluk
  3. Vessey
  4. Boyd
  5. Mickaelis

Highmore is the only one that is back.

1. Highmore
  2. Dickinson
  3. DiGiuseppe
  4. Dowling
  5. Petan

Keeping in mind that Garland was added to the top 6 so one of Hoglander or Pearson will be bumped down and Podkolzin will likely play on the 3rd line

I expected that Hawryluk and Boyd would be retained as depth but no.  Dickinson is certainly an upgrade but are the rest?

My read on the bottom 6 is

Pearson Dickinson Podkolzin

Highmore Sutter Motte

There is a possibility we go with three scoring lines.   We have the guns for that now

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

If you watch the highlights, you'll see Garland drives to the hard areas. Guy is fearless, like Hoglander. His play will rub off on A LOT of players.

And it's interesting because Garland is actually 5'8, not 5'10. He confirms this size difference in the interview, but you'd NEVER see this size concern from last season's clips.

So my takeaway from this is if we play St Louis all 82 games Garland will easily surpass Gretzky's single season point record. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Dougie Hamilton

I'm not the biggest fan of Dougie Hamilton, but your circle needs to be a little bigger.

Hamilton - 9 seasons -> 341 pts in 607 games = 0.56 PPG 

OEL - 11 seasons -> 388pts in 769 games = 0.5 PPG

I think if you look at the body of work,  OEL is the overall better Defenseman, just different deployment and roles vs Hamilton. We don't need someone like Dougie on our team.

As for value. OEL has more miles on his body and is expected to play a bigger role than Hamilton, can he keep this up for the next four seasons? Let's see.

Edited by DSVII

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Dougie Hamilton, but your circle needs to be a little bigger.

I think if you look at the body of work,  OEL is the overall better Defenseman, just different deployment and roles vs Hamilton. We don't need someone like him on our team.

As for value. OEL has more miles on his body and is expected to play a bigger role than Hamilton, can he keep this up for the next four seasons? Let's see.

You also need to factor in the teams that the players were playing on.  Hamilton has been on far superior teams than OEL.

• Cheers 2

Thoughts on Jimbo's offseason will be reserved until we sign Petey and Hughes, but so far A-. There's a lot of creativity and ingenuity with some of the trades that you hope can carry forward if we are to build on something rather than take a step back like in 2020. Because we'll need some more deft manuvering to handle the Boeser and Horvat/Miller extensions in the next two years.

6 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think if you look at the body of work,  OEL is the overall better Defenseman, just different deployment and roles vs Hamilton. We don't need someone like Dougie on our team.

The original context was Timrafa's false claim that Hamilton had more points than OEL (maybe this season) by a mile. Whether he meant this season or other seasons, he's wrong. 20 points isn't really a mile. It's better, granted, but Hamilton played on a superior team.

Based on that fallacious data, he then proceeded to argue that 2 mill difference was cheap for Hamilton's calibre.

Edited by Dazzle

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

There is a possibility we go with three scoring lines.   We have the guns for that now

Ya, all 4 lines are useful now.

I guess it's a round about way of asking "peeps" if DiGuissepe, Dowling and Petan > Howryluk, Vessey and Boyd

29 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think that OEL may take a lot of pressure of Hughes THIS season and maybe part of next season but is there any doubt that at some point Hughes will be the #1 and OEL will be the #3?