The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

100% the Yotes are moving to Houston.

These are the top US TV markets.

Atlanta just doesn't work. So if you're leaving the 11th largest market, you're going to the 7th largest market. Plus hockey works in Dallas so why wouldn't it work in Houston? The Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta has a net worth of 8.2 Billion dollars.

Forbes lists the Coyotes value at $450 Million. Now consider this is pretty much a fire sale so Fertitta can easily swing this and probably make himself a ton of money within 5-10 years and he's 65 years old so he has time to wait it out.

Pretty sure the Houston owner can write that cheque tomorrow.  And he’s already on the record as saying he wants a hockey team. Another major tenant at Toyota Center would mean he could recoup that $450 million in only a few years. Plus once the franchise is stabilized the value of the team will double in 5 years. 

It’s a no brainer really. All they need to do is get the owners to vote on it. Which would be just a formality. It’s not like they have to spend a lot of time vetting this owner. 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

move to Houston, stick with the name coyotes or, how 'bout the jets, the Houston Jets 

There’s already team called the Jets. What about Houston Flyers instead? Keeps that aviation theme but with a more unique name.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rockets-owner-hasnt-given-dream-houston-nhl-team/

Josh Beneteau@jbenny15September 10, 2019, 10:20 PM

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta says he hasn’t given up on his dream to bring an NHL team to Houston.

“There’s not a month that goes by that we don’t have some type of talks about the NHL,” he said in a radio interview with Houston Matters on Monday. “And it’s definitely something that one day I look forward to bringing to Houston, Texas.”

Fertitta has been very public about his interest in owning an NHL team since 2017, when he bought the Rockets from Leslie Alexander for $2.2 billion. While that interest hasn’t gone away, Fertitta acknowledged Monday that there are challenges with bringing a team to a southern city in the U.S.

“The studies we have done, it’s a little harder below the Mason-Dixon Line. It’s a little harder to put butts in the seats,” Fertitta said. “And we’ve got to find the right team, and then we have got to just make sure that we can put the butts in the seats.”

*I understand that I may withdraw my consent at any time.

In May, commissioner Gary Bettman said that there were no immediate plans to bring a team to Houston. But he added that if a team ever were to come to the city, Fertitta would be involved, since the NHL club would likely have to share the Toyota Center with the Rockets.

“I don’t think there’s anything active right now with the Rockets’ ownership in terms of bringing an NHL team to Houston,” Bettman told the Houston Chronicle. “Houston’s now the fourth-largest city in the United States. If there were ever to be a team there, unless there’s a new arena, Mr. Fertitta would control the entry point. But as of right now, there’s nothing for anybody to focus on.”

The NHL awarded a 32nd expansion franchise to Seattle last December after 32,000 season ticket deposits were placed in the less than 24 hours. The Seattle ownership group — which includes billionaire David Bonderman and movie producer Jerry Bruckheimer — agreed to pay a $650-million expansion fee to the NHL.

When asked Monday if a team in Houston would be a new expansion team or relocated from another city, Fertitta said he didn’t know but he would be open to either option.

32 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Yeah its obviously time for the experiment to end, but I don't understand some of the gloating towards Coyotes fans I've seen online. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean the fans they do have care any less than you or I do for the Canucks. Their team is leaving and that feeling has to absolutely suck. 

I've seen nothing but sympathy for Yotes fans, just like any A's fans right now.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2744601-report-nhl-rockets-owner-tilman-fertitta-to-talk-leagues-viability-in-houston

Report: NHL, Rockets Owner Tilman Fertitta to Talk League's Viability in Houston

MIKE CHIARINOVEMBER 16, 2017

Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman reportedly met recently to discuss the viability of an NHL franchise in Houston.

According to Katie Strang of The Athletic, the belief is the meeting took place over the past few weeks, but Bettman declined to comment on it.

In a phone interview with Strang, however, Bettman did address the possibility of an NHL franchise in Houston, saying, "If Houston were to express an interest in having an NHL franchise, under the right circumstances, it's something we might want to consider."

Bettman also said the league isn't looking to relocate any of its teams currently, although the Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames and Arizona Coyotes are all in need of new arenas, per Strang.

Fertitta bought the Rockets in September for a record price of $2.2 billion, according to ESPN.com.

The 60-year-old Houston resident and Galveston, Texas, native hasn't been shy publicly about his desire to own an NHL team as well.

According to Mark Berman of Fox 26, Fertitta commented on the matter in October: "I would love to bring an NHL team here. It's just got to make sense. It'd be hard to fathom that we can't support an NHL team here. Zero has happened, but we will start looking at it"

The NHL currently has 31 franchises due to the introduction of the expansion Vegas Golden Knights this season.

That has left it with an imbalanced conference situation, as the Western Conference has 15 teams, while the Eastern Conference has 16.

There is room for another team in the Central Division, making Houston an ideal expansion candidate should the NHL decide to go back to that well in the near future.

6 minutes ago, McBackup said:

There’s already team called the Jets. What about Houston Flyers instead? Keeps that aviation theme but with a more unique name.

Philadelphia might object.  

4 potential names for a Houston NHL team - Article - Bardown

4 potential names for a Houston NHL team

Hockey fans in Houston are buzzing after Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta expressed interest in bringing an NHL team to the city.

According to reports, Fertitta and Bettman have already met at league headquarters in New York. Considering the team would already have a home in the Toyota Center, it’s completely realistic that Houston could end up with a team. Housotn isn’t the only city that’s inquired about getting a franchise, though, as many others are also hoping to get in on the action. In the past, we brainstormed numerous ideas for potential team names in Seattle, so we feel obligated to do the same with Houston.

1) The Houston Aeros

For years, Houston played home to the WHA’s Houston Aeros, a team the great Gordie Howe laced’em up for from 1973-1977. After eventually transitioning to the AHL, the team relocated to Iowa and became the Wild. So, why change the name if you had something good in place for so long?

2) The Comets

Houston has played an important role in NASA history and haven’t shied away from naming their other sports teams in relation to space. Why not complete the hat-trick with the Astros and Rockets with a simple name like the comets? It would just feel odd if it had a different theme to it.

3) The Bulls

Houston is no stranger to the sport of rodeo. According to mentalfloss.com, Houston’s rodeo and livestock show is one of the largest in the world. Similar to the Comets, the Bulls is a simple name that would just fit the bill very nicely. The team could also use the Broncos, but a bull is usually the first animal that comes to mind when thinking about the sport.

4) The Giants

There seems to be a ‘Giants ‘ in most professional leagues, but the NHL is one of the few outsiders. Considering everything is ‘bigger in Texas’, it makes perfect sense to give the team a relatable name.

Of course, it’s too early to tell whether or not anything will come to fruition. It’s at least nice to pitch a few ideas and get some names in mind for the case that Houston lands a team in the coming years.

Which of the four do you think it should be?

• Like 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Hockey fans in Houston are buzzing after Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta expressed interest in bringing an NHL team to the city.

According to reports, Fertitta and Bettman have already met at league headquarters in New York. Considering the team would already have a home in the Toyota Center, it’s completely realistic that Houston could end up with a team. Housotn isn’t the only city that’s inquired about getting a franchise, though, as many others are also hoping to get in on the action. In the past, we brainstormed numerous ideas for potential team names in Seattle, so we feel obligated to do the same with Houston.

1) The Houston Aeros

For years, Houston played home to the WHA’s Houston Aeros, a team the great Gordie Howe laced’em up for from 1973-1977. After eventually transitioning to the AHL, the team relocated to Iowa and became the Wild. So, why change the name if you had something good in place for so long?

2) The Comets

Houston has played an important role in NASA history and haven’t shied away from naming their other sports teams in relation to space. Why not complete the hat-trick with the Astros and Rockets with a simple name like the comets? It would just feel odd if it had a different theme to it.

3) The Bulls

Houston is no stranger to the sport of rodeo. According to mentalfloss.com, Houston’s rodeo and livestock show is one of the largest in the world. Similar to the Comets, the Bulls is a simple name that would just fit the bill very nicely. The team could also use the Broncos, but a bull is usually the first animal that comes to mind when thinking about the sport.

4) The Giants

There seems to be a ‘Giants ‘ in most professional leagues, but the NHL is one of the few outsiders. Considering everything is ‘bigger in Texas’, it makes perfect sense to give the team a relatable name.

Of course, it’s too early to tell whether or not anything will come to fruition. It’s at least nice to pitch a few ideas and get some names in mind for the case that Houston lands a team in the coming years.

Comets would be a great name, but I think the Stars might not be too fond of the other Texas team also being named after an astronomical body.

Bulls and Giants are both terrible and wouldn’t pass. 

I’m sure there’s a lot of really cool names out there beyond basic “Texas” sounding ones.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1) The Houston Aeros

2) The Comets

3) The Bulls

4) The Giants

I don't really like Bulls or Giants.  Those names are already locked down in the public consciousness.

Aeros is my first choice.  Comets is all right.

I say go off book with the Houston Problems.

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

• mll changed the title to Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear
7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

That logo is clip art status but they should definitely go with the Aeros as the team name.  Some pretty good history there.

They need new colours too… or the state of Texas will have two NHL teams with the same colours theme… 

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

I don’t know if they will. Expansion teams seem to want to forge their own identities rather than adopt minor league ones from the city’s past. Also their are already 2 aviation themed names in the league (arguably 3) so in today’s branding hyper-conscious sports world they probably want something more distinct.

Jets, Flyers, and…. Red Wings? :P

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

Comets would be a great name, but I think the Stars might not be too fond of the other Texas team also being named after an astronomical body.

Bulls and Giants are both terrible and wouldn’t pass. 

I’m sure there’s a lot of really cool names out there beyond basic “Texas” sounding ones.

Houston……Aliens…? Lol

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I don't know if the mods can change the title of this thread, as it needs to clarify that this is likely heading towards the death of the Coyotes. That way they can

Well; if the Wiley Coyote is dead they are just going to have to name the new team ... the Houston Road Runners lol. Oh; guess they can't do that either as it might offend the AHL farm team

Edited by Kootenay Gold

If the Coyotes move to Salt lake, I can see Vegas being moved to the central and Salt Lake becoming part of the pacific division.

If my geography serves me right that is

Edited by Odd.