The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

On 8/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

That franchise has been circling the drain for years. When I lived there in 2001 I could go to a game for $10 bucks and the arena would still be half empty. Stop trying to prop up a failed experiment and move the team to a Hockey city already. 

Exactly, besides having no fans, even the city doesn't want you there

It's like a pathetic breakup,

Let her go NHL, something better will come along that actually wants you and is better for you

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or Raiders fans, Supersonics Fans, Vancouver Grizzlies fans....

With many more FANS involved. I suppose those who support the franchise are saying, without the Coyotes a guy named Auston Matthews wouldn't be playing in the NHL. Think of all the kids in Canada that moved from home at 14 or 15 to play in hockey academies, and later into junior programs. Time to cut bait and put the team into a hockey market.

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe the NHL should have worked closer with the first incarnation of the Winnipeg Jets and the Manitoba government and kept the Jets there in the first place?

I know that's an unpopular take.

That would have worked for me.  Same with the Nordiques...the league is happy to prop up money losing franchises on welfare if they're south of the border.  I think the optics of Lindros refusing to go there kind of killed them as marketable.  Kind of like Steve Francis and the Vancouver Grizzlies.

• Cheers 1

Just think what it must be like to be a player on this team.  Such a soap opera every year, at least you might have a glimmer of hope now I guess that it will become an actual major league franchise again in the near future.  Don't get too settled though, who knows where you end up.

What an attractive franchise to buy though... 24 picks in the first three rounds in the next three years and no long term bad contracts.  If you have money to spend to the cap you can reinvent this team as a playoff team in a single year.  Makes the Canucks life harder that we may have one more actual team in the division that isn't a gimme as far as beating in the standings.  The Canucks and Sharks seem like the worst teams, with Calgary probably following soon as the contracts for the aging players they went all in with start to look bad.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Just think what it must be like to be a player on this team.  Such a soap opera every year, at least you might have a glimmer of hope now I guess that it will become an actual major league franchise again in the near future.  Don't get too settled though, who knows where you end up.

What an attractive franchise to buy though... 24 picks in the first three rounds in the next three years and no long term bad contracts.  If you have money to spend to the cap you can reinvent this team as a playoff team in a single year.  Makes the Canucks life harder that we may have one more actual team in the division that isn't a gimme as far as beating in the standings.  The Canucks and Sharks seem like the worst teams, with Calgary probably following soon as the contracts for the aging players they went all in with start to look bad.

May I introduce you to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Also Coyotes is in the central, not pacific.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

May I introduce you to the Philadelphia Flyers.

Also Coyotes is in the central, not pacific.

Yes, I meant conference... the teams we will be fighting for wildcard spots against.

Chicago is the other one that will suddenly have the opportunity to be better really fast.  It isn't just Bedard, it is lots of picks and lots of cap space.

What does Philly have to do with anything?  They have few picks and lots of older players on big dollar contracts... they aren't on the way up.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Yes, I meant conference... the teams we will be fighting for wildcard spots against.

Chicago is the other one that will suddenly have the opportunity to be better really fast.  It isn't just Bedard, it is lots of picks and lots of cap space.

What does Philly have to do with anything?  They have few picks and lots of older players on big dollar contracts... they aren't on the way up.

Pics and cap space pfffft!  What good are those?

oh and Philly another horribly run franchise. Just terrible. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

4 potential names for a Houston NHL team - Article - Bardown

4 potential names for a Houston NHL team

Hockey fans in Houston are buzzing after Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta expressed interest in bringing an NHL team to the city.

According to reports, Fertitta and Bettman have already met at league headquarters in New York. Considering the team would already have a home in the Toyota Center, it’s completely realistic that Houston could end up with a team. Housotn isn’t the only city that’s inquired about getting a franchise, though, as many others are also hoping to get in on the action. In the past, we brainstormed numerous ideas for potential team names in Seattle, so we feel obligated to do the same with Houston.

1) The Houston Aeros

For years, Houston played home to the WHA’s Houston Aeros, a team the great Gordie Howe laced’em up for from 1973-1977. After eventually transitioning to the AHL, the team relocated to Iowa and became the Wild. So, why change the name if you had something good in place for so long?

2) The Comets

Houston has played an important role in NASA history and haven’t shied away from naming their other sports teams in relation to space. Why not complete the hat-trick with the Astros and Rockets with a simple name like the comets? It would just feel odd if it had a different theme to it.

3) The Bulls

Houston is no stranger to the sport of rodeo. According to mentalfloss.com, Houston’s rodeo and livestock show is one of the largest in the world. Similar to the Comets, the Bulls is a simple name that would just fit the bill very nicely. The team could also use the Broncos, but a bull is usually the first animal that comes to mind when thinking about the sport.

4) The Giants

There seems to be a ‘Giants ‘ in most professional leagues, but the NHL is one of the few outsiders. Considering everything is ‘bigger in Texas’, it makes perfect sense to give the team a relatable name.

Of course, it’s too early to tell whether or not anything will come to fruition. It’s at least nice to pitch a few ideas and get some names in mind for the case that Houston lands a team in the coming years.

Which of the four do you think it should be?

Houston Aeros .

….  And IF it happens,

open the Teams Re-introduction to the NHL by retiring Gordies Sweater.

Could contain: People, Person, Clothing, Glove, Adult, Male, Man

The biggest problem in the Coyotes situation has been the shear ignorance of an inevitable end by Bettman and the NHL.

No other team in NHL history has had the blind support that Phoenix has received.

A move is not new news.. but far overdue .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Only if an eastern team moves west. And Detroit already said hell no to that idea.

This is it. Of course logically Quebec City is the best market without a hockey club but it’s also the most complicated relocation option compared to Kansas City/Houston. Unless a Eastern team wants to play nice (and why should they) move to the western conference, this move to Quebec won’t happen. So as much as it would be awesome to see the Nordiques back, it’s the most difficult move to do. The league would have to realign two teams, which is more complicated than to just move the Yotes to Houston which would remain in the central division. These are the things that people forget when they think Quebec City would be a quick solution, it’s not. As much as we want it. Gary would have some work to make that happen and I don’t see it happening. It’s Houston or Kansas City. 

8 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah its obviously time for the experiment to end, but I don't understand some of the gloating towards Coyotes fans I've seen online. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean the fans they do have care any less than you or I do for the Canucks. Their team is leaving and that feeling has to absolutely suck. 

Yeaaaaah, I haven't looked more of the online reaction away from CDC but it's gotta be a gut punch.

Imagine being the faithful few who paid and showed up for a team that couldn't ever really find traction competitively on a consistent basis, for decades. Making that one conference final must have been a fever dream. 

I wonder who they'll switch allegiances to if the Coyotes do move. 

• Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, Provost said:

Gotta think that an ownership who gives them the green light to spend could make a competitive team out of them sooner than later. So long as they hire competent management that is. 

They've got lots of assets and cap flex, dollars and stability would go a long way. Plus a tax advantage if they wind up in Houston. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Odd. said:

If the Coyotes move to Salt lake, I can see Vegas being moved to the central and Salt Lake becoming part of the pacific division.

If my geography serves me right that is

Salt Lake City is more Central than Vegas.  Utah is between Nevada and Colorado.   

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, McBackup said:

Yeah its obviously time for the experiment to end, but I don't understand some of the gloating towards Coyotes fans I've seen online. Just because there aren't a lot of them doesn't mean the fans they do have care any less than you or I do for the Canucks. Their team is leaving and that feeling has to absolutely suck. 

This has been a enduring narrative that has been very detrimental and condescending. There's been tens of thousands of Coyote fans on any given night. Consider that the Coyotes have been mismanaged for decades, both roster wise and the branding. There's been a couple of moves from their arenas, one of which is so far away that it really tested the loyalty of fans who would've had to drive out of the way to go watch, instead of downtown.

If anything, Coyote fans have shown they ARE loyal.

Canuck fans have continued to bitch about a certain past GM, but the Coyotes have been practically neutered. The fans have shown an incredible amount of patience and they still came to support their team.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Philly in terms of worst team bad contract wise. 

• Cheers 1