The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Offer Sheet] Hurricanes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I suspect we differ on our definition of elite.  That said I think he has the potential to be a very good player and it’s a loss for Montreal 

Gotta agree with you

The definition of elite 

A select group that is superior in terms of abilities or qualities to the rest of the group.

At any given time there are only a handful of individuals that qualify in that bracket in any profession/trade

I certainly would not include Jesperi in that group ATM.

While a player can elevate their game,elite players usually display their elite qualities from the get go.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Huh, that’s kinda surprising. Chychrun is one of the few pieces I wouldn’t sell, if I were them.

It’s crazy what’s going on down there. No idea why they’d even be thinking of trading him as he’s one of the few good young pieces they’ve got. No idea what purpose it would serve. Just speculating here but he tweeted his disappointment with the Dvorak trade and it’s got to be hard to take watching all his best teammates being moved for picks so I wonder if he spoke out.

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Im talking about ARZ's own pick 

Yup.  It’s going to be interesting watching the Hab fans at the draft, when their pick at 11-14 (that’s where they are likely to draft) is used by Arizona.  And then the Habs get the Cane’s pick which will very likely be 24-28.  Oh it’s going to be very interesting indeed.  :)

7 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I acknowledged they like the player. What I’m disputing us Waddell’s statement that it wasn’t motivated by revenge 

I stopped believing everything that a GM says, at about the same age that I stopped believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

I know that some on here expect GMs to be transparent, I just don’t understand where this expectation comes from. Case on point, injury reports. Is it an upper body injury or a lower body injury?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Just wait till they get lucky to draft Wright in the 2022 draft followed by Bedard/Michkov in the 2023 draft and then sign Auston matthews as a FA in 2024. Nobody will be laughing then :bigblush:

They won't be in Arizona by then so they still won't be happy

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Huh, that’s kinda surprising. Chychrun is one of the few pieces I wouldn’t sell, if I were them.

Chychrun was my guy that draft. I don't know if I can stomach another missed draft, but I would definitely be kicking the tires at least.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

Just wait till they get lucky to draft Wright in the 2022 draft followed by Bedard/Michkov in the 2023 draft and then sign Auston matthews as a FA in 2024. Nobody will be laughing then :bigblush:

A whole team drafted in the same two year window and drawing flies at the gate.

After all the entry level contracts come due at the same time, what can possibly go wrong? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

Anderson under performed. Caufield is a smurf, as soon as they figured out how to keep him to the outside he was useless. 

We'll likely never agree, I think MTL was very lucky and you don't, we can leave it there. 

Before we do I have to say we’re not agreeing because you’re just disliking a team and not being logical or looking at the details. Putting your negative analysis on a 20 year old rookie who’d only had a 10 game NHL stint before being leaned on heavily to perform on a cup run. Of course he’s going to have growing pains. But that much kept to the outside? He hustled hard on backchecking and showed quick edges, smarts, skill, and had 12 points in 20 playoff games….. Anderson was physical when he wasn’t scoring and when he scored it was clutch. By the way I’ll leave this here from Round 3.. about the round you’d expect teams to start to be able to figure out a scorer and “keep him to the outside”… right?

Edited by ZH96
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ZH96 said:

Before we do I have to say we’re not agreeing because you’re just disliking a team and not being logical or looking at the details. Putting your negative analysis on a 20 year old rookie who’d only had a 10 game NHL stint before being leaned on heavily to perform on a cup run. Of course he’s going to have growing pains. But that much kept to the outside? He hustled hard on backchecking and showed quick edges, smarts, skill, and had 12 points in 20 playoff games….. Anderson was physical when he wasn’t scoring and when he scored it was clutch. By the way I’ll leave this here from Round 3.. about the round you’d expect teams to start to be able to figure out a scorer and “keep him to the outside”… right?

maybe its you who's overhyping a 20 year old player? 

8 hours ago, ZH96 said:

CC is MM:

image.thumb.jpeg.09353b5088547bffd4c021453fa82d28.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I also saw it at TheFourthPeriod.

AA7CA35C-C170-4D81-A248-8A3D7674A20C.jpeg

If that’s all they’d want for Chychrun I think you throw them those two firsts and run, lottery protection be damned. Not surprised that this rumour’s been squashed because that seems like a shockingly low price for a player of his age, position, and caliber.  

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Update on the Chycrun tweet.

611CF17E-6CA0-40C4-8CBF-4F294E84FFF2.jpeg

That makes a lot more sense.

Even in a complete “tear down” rebuild, you don’t move a 23 year old with #1D potential (if Chychrun isn’t already playing at that level or very close to it) who’s signed to a very good deal for another 4 years.

Draft picks are nice and all, but Chychrun is already the type of player that you hope to secure with a high first round pick. And it often takes a couple shots before you actually hit the target on that kind of player (certainly our own experience in the same draft year can attest to this).

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, JM_ said:

they paid to steal a top 10 player who they clearly think fits their system. 

Why not reach for the stars? Pettersson>Kotkaniemi in every single way shape and form.
Why offersheet a 3mil player for 6M+ 

When you could offersheet a 8-9M player for 8M? Its a 2mil difference in cap for a 5mil+ Difference in quality. 

You’d think if you had 6mil in cap space to offersheet a guy, you’d make a little extra room and go for the better player if you are actually interested in offersheeting a player and its not out of revenge. At least if I was a GM and in that position I would look at Pettersson and see if there are other options before settling on Kotkaniemi. 
The tweets and all that crap that followed the offersheet clearly show they are trolling MTL and the Bergervan. Why else would they toss in the laughable $20 signing bonus and make a stink of it online and refer to the MTL offersheet on Aho? It was a troll job, Montreal started a war, Carolina poured gas on an open fire and its going to come back Carolina’s way again in the future if the Bergervan is in the league, be it in Montreal or elsewhere. He’s going to try and give Carolina another F U.