The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is the greatest COACH in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who is the greatest COACH in Vancouver Canucks history?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

1000% agree with this. 

Quinn was not only our greatest coach, but I also consider him to be one of the greatest coaches of all-time.  I’ve never seen a guy go so above and beyond for his players.  When Cherry accused Bure of threatening to sit out in 1994 Game 7, Quinn went out to Toronto looking to murder Cherry.  

I see that AV has received some votes.  While AV was a decent coach, people have seen to have forgotten that this guy was badly out coached by both Quennville (2009 and 2010), and Claude Julien (2011).  Vigenault is a good coach but he couldn’t hold Pat Quinn’s jockstrap on Pat Quinn’s worst day.

Ummm you do realize that Quinn never won a Cup right?  I love the guy and everything but to compare him to Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour, Toe Blake and Joel Quenneville is a little bit disingenous.

Pat Quinn does not have the resume of those coaches.  In order to achieve greatness you have to win the ultimate prize.  Unfortunately, Quinn never accomplished that in his career.

As for Vancouver, it is close between Quinn and Vigneault.  You can't say that it is so one sided that you can't even have a conversation.  Vigneault won a Jack Adams award just like Quinn, he is the winningest coach in Vancouver Canucks history, has the best winning percentage of any coach including Quinn and also went to the Stanley Cup finals game 7, just like Quinn.  They are not miles apart.  You can make an argument for either one.  This poll will be alot close than the GM poll.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't even have AV in second to be honest.  Neilson's my second choice; the guy was the most innovative coach in the history of the league. Used video long before it was common, and found multiple loopholes where the league had to change the rulebook due to his tactics.  He may not have won a cup, but he was one of the most brilliant hockey minds in the history of the sport.

I love Roger Neilson.  You are correct, he did have a brilliant mind.  God bless his soul.  He doesn't have the resume of Quinn or Vigneault however.  Overall Pat Quinn had a much better career than Vigneault,  I would put him in the top 15 coaches of all time even though he didn't win a Cup.  However, for just their Vancouver careers I think you can make an argument for either Vigneault or Quinn.  I think Vigneault will win this poll.  I could be wrong though.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm you do realize that Quinn never won a Cup right?  I love the guy and everything but to compare him to Scotty Bowman, Al Arbour, Toe Blake and Joel Quenneville is a little bit disingenous.

Pat Quinn does not have the resume of those coaches.  In order to achieve greatness you have to win the ultimate prize.  Unfortunately, Quinn never accomplished that in his career.

As for Vancouver, it is close between Quinn and Vigneault.  You can't say that it is so one sided that you can't even have a conversation.  Vigneault won a Jack Adams award just like Quinn, he is the winningest coach in Vancouver Canucks history, has the best winning percentage of any coach including Quinn and also went to the Stanley Cup finals game 7, just like Quinn.  They are not miles apart.  You can make an argument for either one.  This poll will be alot close than the GM poll.

All great points EP, and you’re right about the resume.  I do admit that I exaggerated in this instance.  Good points about Vigneault’s track record and accomplishments as well.

The deal breaker for me however, is the fact that Vigneault clearly got out coached on three separate occasions in the playoffs (Quennville * 2, plus Julien in the SCF), and I don’t recall Quinn ever getting out coached like that. Perhaps I’m wrong here however.  I also recall Vigneault having odd arguments with certain players and certain players completely losing their confidence under Vigneault (ie Ballard), whereas a truly great coach is supposed to bring out the best in everyone.....which is what I feel Quinn did.  

Vigneault had a higher winning percentage than Quinn but also had much better teams in front (ie 2010-2011, 2011-2012).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:08 PM, Canucks Curse said:

boy have we had some bad coaches- Keenan, torts, I thought willie D was useless, I remember an interview with tom renney when he admitted he was not ready to coach in the NHL when he was with the Canucks, Rick Ley - useless

Tom Renney was a complete imbecile and a moron. Thinking about him still makes me upset even to this day.  Rick Ley and Willie D were almost as crappy as well.  

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just by the numbers

PQ - 280 games coached. 141 wins. 111 loses. 28 ties. 50.4% win. 2 division titles. SCF game 7

AV - 540 games coached. 313 wins. 170 loses. 57 OTL. 58% win. 6 division titles. 2 presidents trophies. SCF game 7

One Jack Adams each with the Canucks. Quinn won his first 12 years earlier with the Flyers

Edited by You Mad Bro?
  • Thanks 3
  • Vintage 1

One thing about AV is the accent of the twins during his term.  How much of his success is based on them, or how much of their rise is based on how he deployed them, got them the match-up and helped them become really dominate players?

This is not trying to take away the recognition of either the twins or AV.  Easier to be a great coach when you have great players.  Easier to be a great player when your coach sets you up to succeed.  

• Cheers 2