The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Burroughs | #44 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

40 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I want Burroughs to be a regular everyday player BUT we're overloaded on D. I want him to play 7/11 dman on the 4th line with Hogs. Those two will get greasy goals in the slot for sure.

He's the perfect extra for injuries.  I see him as the 4th RD and the 5th or 6th RW.

He'll get lots of ice time during the season.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I want Burroughs to be a regular everyday player BUT we're overloaded on D. I want him to play 7/11 dman on the 4th line with Hogs. Those two will get greasy goals in the slot for sure.

Will the Thrill providing smashing interruptions.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Just thinking a big defenseman for Hunt and Burroughs on the 4th line adds a lot of sandpaper. 

Ergo, getting a Copp or some such for Dick would add tremendously to said sandpaper.

I still want at least one monster.

Preferably 2: both 4th line wingers who are huge and can skate like maniacs and enforce The Code.

(We can't waste a defenseman on enforcement.)

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're lucky to have him in our system. Burroughs' name doesn't come up a lot when we talk about our D lineup next year - and maybe that's because we talk so much about there being additions/change. When injuries inevitably do happen (probably in training camp because... Canucks), he should be one of the first guys ready to lace 'em up. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Burroughs....Why don't we need him?

Just listening to talk radio/pod and it seems like Burroughs may be headed to the waiver wire.  

Uh....why?

I realize we have brought in DeKeyser on a PTO, and have to give him a shot.  And with Dermott and Poolman healthy, its difficult to fit him in.  But dang, this organization has a history of undervaluing defensive defensemen.  And how many times do we wish more Canucks would step up and defend his teammates like Burroughs does?  He had 122 hits and 52 blocked shots in only 42 games.  Face it, offense isn't his strong point but he had more points in 42 games, with limited ice time, than Poolman got in 40. 

I think Schenn was happy to have another physical teammate to take the load off of him as the teams tough only real tough guy.  But more than that, I thought Burroughs also was one of the better D in zone exits, which I  thought was to be valued more this season. 

He's still young enough, as a D, to improve with more ice time.  I'll be sad if they dump him off to another team.  Another player who's value far exceeds his cap hit, thrown out the door.  I thought he'd be great continuing as a 6th D.  Using him more depending on the physical nature of the opposition. And save the cap $ for a real upgrade to help Quinn.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, kilgore said:

Burroughs....Why don't we need him?

Just listening to talk radio/pod and it seems like Burroughs may be headed to the waiver wire.  

Uh....why?

I realize we have brought in DeKeyser on a PTO, and have to give him a shot.  And with Dermott and Poolman healthy, its difficult to fit him in.  But dang, this organization has a history of undervaluing defensive defensemen.  And how many times do we wish more Canucks would step up and defend his teammates like Burroughs does?  He had 122 hits and 52 blocked shots in only 42 games.  Face it, offense isn't his strong point but he had more points in 42 games, with limited ice time, than Poolman got in 40. 

I think Schenn was happy to have another physical teammate to take the load off of him as the teams tough only real tough guy.  But more than that, I thought Burroughs also was one of the better D in zone exits, which I  thought was to be valued more this season. 

He's still young enough, as a D, to improve with more ice time.  I'll be sad if they dump him off to another team.  Another player who's value far exceeds his cap hit, thrown out the door.  I thought he'd be great continuing as a 6th D.  Using him more depending on the physical nature of the opposition. And save the cap $ for a real upgrade to help Quinn.

I like Burroughs too

but its pretty simple for him this pre-season, he needs to out play Rathbone, Dermot Dekeyser, Poolman and Schenn

He is tougher than all of them except Schenn

but Rathbone, Hunt Burroughs and all of the other call ups were on the wrong side of the - ledger

he scored at about the same rate as Dermot, but Dermot took 0 penalties, (for better or worse) and was a pretty significant +5 in 17 games

even if he gets waived there is no saying he gets picked up

who do you see him displacing on the Canucks or on another team 

if he gets sent down, it would be pretty sweet having him as a call up for the inevitable Poolman injury

All he really needs to do is out play 3 of those guys in limited minutes

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

OEL - Hughes

Borroughs - Myers

Rathbone - Schenn

Dermot

No need for Dekeyser.

Love me some Burroughs, but I am not sure if he can effectively handle 2nd pairing minutes for an extended period of time. Dekeyser has shown that he can be a solid 4/5, although maybe not that exciting. I'd expect Dekeyser or Poolman to get a the last 2nd pairing spot with Dermott and Schenn being darkhorses. I don't think Rathbone will make it this year in the NHL, but I'd be thrilled to be wrong. I do also have doubts on Poolman's ability to stay healthy, so that might add to things too.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I like Burroughs but playing him anywhere above the 3rd pairing leads to issues for him.

If Poolman can stay healthy, you can alternate that 3rd pairing in so many different configurations depending on the team you play against. More heavier compeition you can rely on Poolman, Schenn and Burroughs, but against more speed and skill you can use Rathbone and Dermott. Burroughs has a lot more opportunity to play games because he plays both sides and can play forward if needed.

I think he has more to give skill wise, I remember watching him with the Regina Pats and really thought he could be a solid two way dman.

As much as a I like him, I'm not sure there's a spot for Burroughs on the Canucks D to start the season.  Especially if Poolman is healthy.  On the positive side, there's also very little risk of us losing him on waivers.  There will be 100 other borderline NHL d-men like him being waived to the A throughout the preseason. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

As much as a I like him, I'm not sure there's a spot for Burroughs on the Canucks D to start the season.  Especially if Poolman is healthy.  On the positive side, there's also very little risk of us losing him on waivers.  There will be 100 other borderline NHL d-men like him being waived to the A throughout the preseason. 

Burroughs and Poolman had great chemistry last year.