The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jaroslav Halak | #41 | G

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Guess the answer is No. Nice visual: Not sure why there is some much interest in trading Halak. Who would want him? The Canucks would to pay someone to take him. The only benefit would be to save a bit off the cap for next year to cover his bonus overage. 

I just do not see any team having much interest in him as there are probably better options for them out there. What I would like to see is Spencer Martin called up for one or two games that are back to back and see if he may be an option for next year but perhaps Canuck' s management has other plans in the works. I just don't see Demko continuing to play as many games as he has especially if they do make it to the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I just do not see any team having much interest in him as there are probably better options for them out there. What I would like to see is Spencer Martin called up for one or two games that are back to back and see if he may be an option for next year but perhaps Canuck' s management has other plans in the works. I just don't see Demko continuing to play as many games as he has especially if they do make it to the playoffs.

He won't be traded...he has a NMC...and he doesn't want to leave. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

He won't be traded...he has a NMC...and he doesn't want to leave. 

I was aware of that and I tend to agree that he will not waive it. That being said there really is no pressing need at the moment to play him either.

That may change if the Canuck's do manage to make it into the playoffs or if Abby fails to make the AHL playoffs in which case Martin certainly becomes an option.

Edited by Kootenay Gold

I cannot see why Halak wouldn’t waive to go to a playoff bound team. His days in the NHL are winding down. If winning a Cup means anything to him then he agrees to a move. 

Abby making a deep Calder run is as important to the Canucks making playoffs, maybe more so. There are a half dozen players who could eventually play for the Canucks on that team. Playoffs would benefit their game tremendously. This week probably tells the tale on how the Rutherford group view the Canucks. A sweep of the next 3 games is a must or TDL deals start kicking in. I would be surprised if Rutherford’s stove top isn’t full.

• Like 1

I hope his 14/15 performance last night gave some of the team confidence that he can have decent games still. Or alternatively, given him a tiny bit of trade value, if he, for some reason, decided to lift his NMC.

After last night's impressive win in Colorado, I wonder if Leafs management are kicking themselves for not trading for Halak.

If Jaro is back to his former self, the Canucks could have two very good goaltenders down the stretch, and dare I say, playoffs.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

After last night's impressive win in Colorado, I wonder if Leafs management are kicking themselves for not trading for Halak.

If Jaro is back to his former self, the Canucks could have two very good goaltenders down the stretch, and dare I say, playoffs.

It's a very big "if", to be fair. Halak had a save percentage of around .918 before he had three very bad games to plummet his numbers. He's been very inconsistent this year. Some very good and some very bad. He could crap the bed next game or deliver another stellar performance.

26 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's a very big "if", to be fair. Halak had a save percentage of around .918 before he had three very bad games to plummet his numbers. He's been very inconsistent this year. Some very good and some very bad. He could crap the bed next game or deliver another stellar performance.

I think people that aren't familiar with Halak misunderstand that he isn't really a backup.

We are talking about a guy who has nearly 300 wins in his career, he also has 52 shutouts (that's a ridiculous personal statistic). In other words, he is used to playing a lot more hockey.

The issue is that he wasn't playing enough this season - a guy like him can't sit on the bench all the time. He needs semi-regular starts to stay in his groove. Halak is more of a 1A starter than a backup.

I get that the Canucks want to play Demko a lot - not arguing against it. But Halak needs to play 25-30 games minimum to be effective. He's not the kind of guy who can play well after sitting for a week or two.

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, lmm said:

what happened to Halak last game?

Not entirely sure, but I think he got slashed on his hand while trying to claim a puck that

was surrounded by various players attempting to get it.  Could have been anyone's stick. 

No penalty was called.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not entirely sure, but I think he got slashed on his hand while trying to claim a puck that

was surrounded by various players attempting to get it.  Could have been anyone's stick. 

No penalty was called.

thanks

I thought it was that

I remember the play when he looked like he was fishing inside his net

then was shaking his hand/wrist

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looking at the cap for the upcoming season.  We have Holtby on the hook for 1.9m

Whatever happened to Halak's 1.25m bonus for 10 game starts?

I imagine he got it.  Did it count towards this year's camp or did we push it to next year? 

Wasting 3.15 m on dead cap on 2  backup goalies is ridiculous...