The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Which AMERICAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Which AMERICAN player in their CANUCKS prime are you taking?  

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted Kesler but it is honestly a three way tie between Ryan Miller, Ryan Kesler, and Quinn Hughes. Ryan Miller was elite at his prime, Kesler was Kesler, and Quinn Hughes has a lot of potential but we'll see if he hits the highs that we all think he will.

I would put Demko, Miller, and Boeser in the next tier.

The only player I'm surprised you left off the list is Garth Snow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

This one, again, was tough - which is a good thing - but i do think Kesler was just better for a longer period of time then any of these other guys while here with us.   His prime was longer with us anyways.    Miller was probably the best of the bunch (so far), including his time outside of Vancouver (Ryan of course).   BB and QHs might have something to say about it,  but not yet anyways.   Curt Fraser was a guy you'd want in the trenches beside you too.  Honourable mention to Hedican...but his career like Aucions too, continues elsewhere.   Hedican played over 1000 games, and was a key member in both cup runs with CAR...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Quantum said:

I voted Kesler but it is honestly a three way tie between Ryan Miller, Ryan Kesler, and Quinn Hughes. Ryan Miller was elite at his prime, Kesler was Kesler, and Quinn Hughes has a lot of potential but we'll see if he hits the highs that we all think he will.

I would put Demko, Miller, and Boeser in the next tier.

The only player I'm surprised you left off the list is Garth Snow.

Garth Snowman lol....played 109 games for us and wasn't he the guy who came to Brashears aid after McSorely smacked him in the temple?   Actually a decent goalie too, with a sense of humour, i mean how much "extra padding" does a player need? 

• Haha 1

Brashear was also an important player for us during one of the toughest eras of hockey ever.   It was encouraging, knowing we had a guy that could virtually beat the crap out of anyone for a period of time at least.   His 9 fights with Probert (even though his best days were over),  and running fued with McSorely, two of the best enforcers the games ever had says enough.    Laraque eventually took some of his thunder, but this guy played over 1000 games in this league and was a force of nature.    103 points in 388 games for us is actually pretty decent all considered - was good enough not to get goon status too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Prime Schneider was a top 5 goalie in the league. Too bad injuries caught up with his body.

He was but he also seemed to fold when it mattered most unfortunately.  I still don’t quite understand his injury in 2013 before we entered the playoffs that season, nor his his 2012 playoff injury + his bizarre injury in Game 6 2011 Chicago.  Prime Schneider also never once took NJ to the playoff from what I understand.  I suspect that Schneider had some troubles between the ears.

Funny thing is that we have an insane crop of potentials currently playing for us on this list. Any of Hughes, Miller, Demko, or Boeser could easily end up being the best ever American in their prime, playing for the Canucks.

The above said, they haven't reached it yet, and as for now, it's an easy answer. Kes was best.

Bureshear gets an honorable mention from me.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

He was but he also seemed to fold when it mattered most unfortunately.  I still don’t quite understand his injury in 2013 before we entered the playoffs that season, nor his his 2012 playoff injury + his bizarre injury in Game 6 2011 Chicago.  Prime Schneider also never once took NJ to the playoff from what I understand.  I suspect that Schneider had some troubles between the ears.

From 2012-2016, Schneider led the entire league in SV% and GAA (minimum 230 games played).

Edited by shiznak