The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[DEBATE] Who is the greatest FIGHTER in Vancouver Canucks history?

Rate this topic

Elias Pettersson

Who is the greatest FIGHTER in Vancouver Canucks history?  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

NOBODY was tougher than Rypien period.  

He'd have fought

Brashear

Momesso

Odjick

Snepts

Williams

Any of our greatest and come out with a nod or an outright win.

But since we have such a short body of work with the gem; it's Brashear.  

I agree I think Rypien would have out skilled Brashear. Brasher was a thug straight up. 

Rypien actually had boxing skill, and he knew how to carry it over into hockey.

6 minutes ago, lmm said:

those are the only guys that should be on this list, maybe Crowder, but I cannot rememeber him fighting while in Vancouver

this list is way too long

Brasheer

Rypien

Odjick

Crowder 

Coxe

are the only guys that should get votes

Gino would have eaten all of them for breakfast.

And for lunch, the same 5 at the same time.

No disrespect to Ryp; I loved the guy, and he was a good hockey player too.

Might-a could-a maybe been a boxer in his own right; plus fighting on skates is very different, as I found out after learning to box many years before I learned skate.

Pound for pound, he has to be right up there, but by that measurement there are probably dozens of guys who fought very well above their weight class.

Stan Jonathon comes to mind, though not a Canuck, and probably because I so intensely dislike...

("We don't hate anybody"-Hank Sedin;

and my mom, "You don't hate anyone or anything; you may extremely dislike something, but you do not hate anything".)

So, because I so extremely dislike les habs (spit, spit), that Stan Jonathon's top down, beat down of a guy about 7 inches taller and a couple stone heavier,

wearing the rouge, blanc, et bleu (pardon my French) (Bouchard) was such a beautiful thing, that my friends and I still talk about it to this day. 

Kurt Fraser was an assassin, pound for pound or by any other measure; dropping guys on the counter with one solid one to the button, 3 times in one game (or am I misremembering)?

One guy dropped so soon and so close, he was still trying to hug Fraser while he was 'out stone cold' on the ice; Kurt stepping out of his encircled arms to skate to the box.

Domi was a very hard nut; Brashear wore out his knuckles tapping his skull; didn't want to punch him anymore.

Brash was seriously tough (but Gino would have smoked him); I was glad to have him through those years where he was about the toughest guy in the league.

But back to pound-for-pound Tie Domi was a smaller guy (though very solid) that you were ill-advised to let punch you too many times; he knew how to hit.

(Also wasn't a Canuck but provided some of the reasoning for Brashear not to be number one, and a little terror height-wise.)

Tiger Williams was a guy that reminded me of boxer Scott LeDoux, who would break almost every rule once and get a warning, as a second warning meant points were deducted (10 point must system). 

LeDoux would 'hold and hit', 'hit below the belt', even 'biting' an opponent on the shoulder, until he got the first warning, then he would move on to the next infraction.

One fine day, we were sitting at the glass, in the corner, in the old Pacific Colosseum, (it was anything but 'Pacific'), and Tiger skated this guy right into our corner, in our face.

His glove was open with the back of his hand against the glass facing towards us.

The front of his glove was ripp'n up 'n down, the rough-leather seem-edges distorting flesh this way and that, up and down; lips, nose, eyelids squishing all over the guy's face, while Williams pushed his head hard into the glass, holding it there with force from his other hand which was on the back of his head.

It was gruesome.  ("Look again Lass, it's grew some more.")  And the guy was mad as hell, and couldn't get away, and the ref couldn't see it, and so when Tiger skated away, he laid a big two-hander into Williams and earned an angry skate to the box.

Most of the time Tiger backed up his behaviour on the ice, but he often kept his stick involved; he was a dangerous man (who also knew how and when to draw a penalty).

And, it was a much more dangerous time; some guys even did jail time; scalps were removed; eyes taken out; imagine if we had smart phones then...

Too much text; I know; I ramble these days. 

Cheers Nux Fans!

Love this topic.

GO CANUCKS GO!

(Make sure we got a cupla meat hook wingers for the playoffs chillin' in the "A", eh Jim?)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

those are the only guys that should be on this list, maybe Crowder, but I cannot rememeber him fighting while in Vancouver

this list is way too long

Brasheer

Rypien

Odjick

Crowder 

Coxe

are the only guys that should get votes

Good call on Troy Crowder.  He wasn’t with us for very long but that guy was one nasty piece of business.  Even I would have trouble taking him.

Speaking of Canucks fighters, I know many people on here might not want to admit it, but Gudbranson is up there as well.  Didn’t he ragdoll a few opposing players during his tenure here?

Edited by Patel Bure
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Good call on Troy Crowder.  He wasn’t with us for very long but that guy was one nasty piece of business.  Even I would have trouble taking him.

Speaking of Canucks fighters, I know many people on here might not want to admit it, but Gudbranson is up there as well.  Didn’t he ragdoll a few opposing players during his tenure here?

30 of his 150 game career. that is 20%

TSN did a show where they ranked guys who played at least 225 games in a Canadian city

Crowder is pretty infamous for a guy who played 150 total games in 7 seasons over 10 years

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

All four of those are fighters I didn't really enjoy watching that much.  Also...you can and often do hug to put an end a hockey fight.  You generally just get separated and are made to keep fighting in boxing and MMA.

So yeah, Brashear would probably beat Odjick in a fight, possibly with a lot of hugging, but I much preferred watching Odjick and so did the fans generally speaking.  Just like Lennox Lewis beat Mike Tyson, but I know whose fights I wanted to see more.

Hey fair enough!  I'm just trying to answer the question accurately and honestly.  If we're going with which fighter I'd "like to see" then my answer is probably either Gino or Scott Walker.  

I also agree with those making a case for Rypien as P4P the best and most technical.  If we're taking a hypothetical time machine to have all of these guys fight each other then I would be quite confident that Brashear is the guy who comes out with the most wins.

As for boxing/MMA you are half right.  Boxing they hug (clinch) often to get a separation (though some "inside" fighters do exist).  MMA that is simply not the case.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

As for boxing/MMA you are half right.  Boxing they hug (clinch) often to get a separation (though some "inside" fighters do exist).  MMA that is simply not the case.

What are you saying about MMA exactly?  GSP wasn't known for hugging standing up, he was known for taking guys down and hugging them on the ground.  This quite often results in the fighters being stood up and separated, though it didn't happen often with GSP.  And he didn't really become a hugger / blanket until after the Serra fight.

By the way, here's Stan Smyl with the greatest takedown in hockey history.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Ummm....I'm not sure Babych actually ever had a fight, despite how menacing his moustache may have looked.  Other than that, although Rypien couldn't handle the super heavyweights the way Brashear could, I just had to vote for him based on his superior fight technique and, as has been said many, many times, his pound-for-pound dominance!

Edited by Captain Canuck #12

6 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Ummm....I'm not sure Babych actually ever had a fight, despite how menacing his moustache may have looked.  Other than that, although Rypien couldn't handle the super heavyweights the way Brashear could, I just had to vote for him based on his superior fight technique and, as has been said many, many times, his pound-for-pound dominance!

Babych avoided fighting and went light on his opponents out of kindness.  He was possibly the strongest guy in the NHL.  He was legitimately afraid of hulking out so he kept that stuff to the minimum necessary.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is a fun video on the topic for anyone who hasn't seen it

Good video.   I'm surprised they didn't remember anyone from WNP,  but if they won't take guys like Simon (too skilled), then other guys like Probert later for US teams would have to leave the list too.   "Monsters" is a good way to put it, Ferraro sharing about LA tough guys were so intimidated, that they asked their teammates to leave Brashear alone or he'd have to fight him - says enough about his reputation.    McGratton in OTT was the last of the "monsters" for sure.   Took over the heavyweight/league crown because of staying power when the rest faded away fast.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Babych avoided fighting and went light on his opponents out of kindness.  He was possibly the strongest guy in the NHL.  He was legitimately afraid of hulking out so he kept that stuff to the minimum necessary.

You bet.   Didn't have to fight anyways, just could grab anyone he wanted in a scrum and hold them still, even guys like Probert.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, he didn't have it in his personality to be a goon, by any means.

Also, he was criticized for not fighting in his Hartford days,  but he rarely did .... only fight i remember was when Linden attacked someone for cheap shotting a player, then Petit (yes the same one) went after Linden because the guy turtled - and then Babych stepped in and  popped him with two hard rights and the fight was over - he just held onto him and you could tell he didn't want anymore Babych punches.     Howe actually didn't fight much but was legendary for it.   Messier too actually...best thing he ever did for us was beating the tar out of Otto (no slouch either),  as a Ranger later in his career.