The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

26 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

So after a hard practice, they had to do 4-5 cycles of lines. Clip of OEL is on the last cycle.

OJ might have gone harder in his drills/first few cycles and felt like death afterwards.  

I'm not reading too much into it. OEL might not be one of the team's fitness freaks but he's still a skilled player and in shape. 

OJ is young and still a developing athlete.  As long as he can handle mins and play well it's all good.

Yes, OEL was hanging pretty good with his group for the first couple of runs of the bag skate. But he REALLY hit the wall hard on the final run.

Olli was already lagging behind on the first run and by the last…well, y’all saw.

Its possible, but it’s also just speculation that Olli may be suffering COVID effects. But it’s a plain ol fact that he looked like the least conditioned athlete out there today. By a large margin.

I see the OJ defence force putting in the work here, but my eyes confirmed to me that I’m not out of bounds with my take on the player today.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

So far i see miller is going to be huge for us this year on and off the ice. Career year. Too many deadly duos we can throw out, helps keep the top defenders off miller all the time

Loved what I saw from Miller out there today. Dude was playing the veteran leader to perfection. This was great to see since I thought he acted a bit immature at times last season.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Let's not crucify OJ until we see what he does in exhibition games.  Hopefully he'll have a good showing in those games.  Need to be competitive to make the decision hard on the coaches.  So far looks like Rathbone and Hunt are up +1 against OJ.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

There is no way to put a positive spin on this, though I know CDC well enough to know some will try. It was uncomfortable to watch and a murmur when through the crowd when he was rolling around in the corner. You could tell some of the other players were like “WTF?”. JT was the guy to go tell him to man up and get up off the ice.

Hey, if OJ roars back and seizes the 6th D-man spot I’ll be the first in line to cheer him on. But considering how Hunt and Rathbone looked today, it seems like a long shot. 

Yeah, I get the whole "don't evaluate a player based on one bag skate", but this is a kid who's trying to own a spot.  If this team wants a cup, then they want players who are hungry, competitive and in their best shape possible.  Guys who will hide the pain.  People can point out Beagle being fit but not as good, but I can point out the Sedins being in amazing shape and hungry during a camp when their spots were secure.  Preparation and optics here.  I think it's an important measure that's unfortunate for OJ.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Loved what I saw from Miller out there today. Dude was playing the veteran leader to perfection. This was great to see since I thought he acted a bit immature at times last season.

I love reading this.  Too many people have him circled to be cut so that they can give EP, QH and BB more money.  JTM at his best is pretty critical to this team's success and his salary is perfect considering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yes, OEL was hanging pretty good with his group for the first couple of runs of the bag skate. But he REALLY hit the wall hard on the final run.

Olli was already lagging behind on the first run and by the last…well, y’all saw.

Its possible, but it’s also just speculation that Olli may be suffering COVID effects. But it’s a plain ol fact that he looked like the least conditioned athlete out there today. By a large margin.

I see the OJ defence force putting in the work here, but my eyes confirmed to me that I’m not out of bounds with my take on the player today.

My vote is he went overboard when he was celebrating being back with his team mates the night before. These young guys aren't used to hangovers yet.

21 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

By the end of pre season we will see if OJ can out compete his competition or not.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, just wow.   You know for certain he didn't have the flu or something else going on?   He may have already done other drills others didn't prior.   The list of possible reasons for someone being bagged are numerous.   Unless you were on the ice and in the room with the team, stop trying to imply negative things about the kids.   Give them a chance and if the coaches decide they are not up to it, then fine but wow on crapping on bits of info.   If you watched anything today it was his 1 on 1 work where his lateral mobility was outstanding and far beyond anything over the past few years where lingering knee issues were in his way.   

Wow.

I bet you said that for 5 years with LE.  Wow.

Look, I stand by my words.  It's crappy if he had the flu and that would be a great reason for that.  BUT, do you really think that the Canucks organization are that stupid to let a player be around the group while having the flu.....now.....with....COVID.....after.....last....season?!!!  C'mon man.  Wow is right. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, just wow.   You know for certain he didn't have the flu or something else going on?   He may have already done other drills others didn't prior.   The list of possible reasons for someone being bagged are numerous.   Unless you were on the ice and in the room with the team, stop trying to imply negative things about the kids.   Give them a chance and if the coaches decide they are not up to it, then fine but wow on crapping on bits of info.   If you watched anything today it was his 1 on 1 work where his lateral mobility was outstanding and far beyond anything over the past few years where lingering knee issues were in his way.   

Wow.

i never played hockey, i PLayed football. but we always had a 100m sprint and then 4 laps around the field in a line the person in the back had to sprint to the front about 30m. for me it was nothing but for the linesman it was brutal. no one gave anyone a hard time and the coaches never benched someone based on these drills. they were just to keep us in shape

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 2