The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think guys on PTOs can be signed by any team, and at any time.  Aren’t they still considered UFAs?  If we want this guy we should be able to sign him, regardless.  @mll help!  :)

Upshall was on a PTO with Vancouver a few years ago and then left mid-camp to sign with St Louis.  Vancouver announced that they had released him from his PTO - would guess that it's just a formality to get released and that teams wouldn't stand in the way. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Conscience said:

I wonder how A.Anisimov would fit in for some center depth and Pod mentor. 

Hes on a PTO with Colorado now but if they dont sign him, might be worth a look

I wouldn't hate seeing him with Hoglander and Podz on a sheltered '3rd' offensive line for near league min.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Garland

Hoglander, Anisimov, Podkolzin

With some combo of Highmore, Dickinson, Motte, Sutter, Lockwood, Gadjovich etc on the '4th' (probably see equal or more minutes than '3rd' lots of nights) depending on who's healthy.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Don't rule out Bowey and Dowling to stick for the start of the season. Even though we would still have 31 guys in camp, a number of them are injured, so we're really pretty close to a final roster.

Nor Bailey, he hasn't been in a game, and only got into town late last week.

55 minutes ago, stawns said:

What is it about his game that makes you think Abby is the place for him?  Who's beating him out?

No one in particular. I said I have a hard time seeing someone beat him out. I’m just saying I don’t think it’s expected Pods is on the team and there is a possibility he ends up in Abby.

I guess I don’t see in Highmore anything but the ability to skate fast.

I don’t see this great penalty killer everyone talks about. When I watch him on the PK and even defensively he frequently overskates his check and loses position. As a center he just looks like a winger forced to play center and isn’t good at faceoffs.

He is a decent 4th liner but just because they traded Gaudette for him doesn’t mean he should be gifted a spot. I would take Lockwood, Gadj, and Di Giuseppe over him as a winger for the 4th line or 13th forward. And Petan is not ideal at 4C but Is easily a better option than Highmore.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Could be interesting to see how the lines come together. 
I am going to temper my excitement about Podz somewhat this season. Not all rookies can come out like Brock, EP, QH and Hogz, we just have got so used to it it seems normal.

A few caveats I think looking at lineup. Unlikely to see Garland and Hoglander on same line together very often. Don’t play small but they are small. 
We are not going to have three rookies in our bottom 6. We are already so dependant on guys that are so young, I just can’t believe Green would be comfortable doing this. 
Green always says that young players improve in the Summer.  Gadjo came in last year scored 14G in 16 games! And then went home and fixed what was holding him back. This is everything you can ask of someone and has been great in camp and preseason. He has earned it and seems like maybe tough to clear waivers. That being said, doesn’t kill penalties and doesn’t suit a matchup line.  I would like to see him on Bo’s wing in at least one preseason game. 
One top 6 winger needs to move down to third when healthy and this is likely the shutdown line with Dickenson.  Hoglander seems to be the natural fit as he is a possession monster.  Would hate to see his offence squandered and would rather see Pearson there but he seems married to Bo’s left side. 
I still don’t have a clue who plays centre on 4th.  I just can’t believe it will be Petan, good depth for top 6 but doesn’t suit 4th line/PK role unless Green is using Bo and Dickenson for majority of tough matchups. Maybe Dowling, maybe waiver wire pickup. 
Will be fun to see what Green does next few preseason games. 

I would like to see these lines tried (in the absence of Boeser)

Miller-EP-Klimovich

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Petan-Lockwood

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

PP1

Miller-EP-Garland-Klimovich-OEL

PP2

Horvat-Hoglander-Pearson-Podkolzin-Hughes

PK1

Dickinson-Gadjovich-Juolevi-Myers

PK2

Petan-Lockwood-Schenn-Poolman

Give everyone a special teams spot to see what they can do. See a bit more of those bottom 6 lines too and see if they can compete when a bit less sheltered. That 3rd line should be tasked with main shutdown duties. The 4th line needs to play against good competition to see what they can do.

Other than the 4th line, this spreads out the young guys through the lineup with experienced line mates.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I would like to see these lines tried (in the absence of Boeser)

Miller-EP-Klimovich

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin

Gadjovich-Petan-Lockwood

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

PP1

Miller-EP-Garland-Klimovich-OEL

PP2

Horvat-Hoglander-Pearson-Podkolzin-Hughes

PK1

PK2

Petan-Lockwood-Schenn-Poolman

Give everyone a special teams spot to see what they can do. See a bit more of those bottom 6 lines too and see if they can compete when a bit less sheltered. That 3rd line should be tasked with main shutdown duties. The 4th line needs to play against good competition to see what they can do.

Other than the 4th line, this spreads out the young guys through the lineup with experienced line mates.

Pretty good.

I would go as follows (in the absence of Boeser):

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin 

Hoglander-Horvat-Klimovich 

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Gadjovich-Petan-Lockwood

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Bowey

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Halak

PP1

Klimovich-Horvat-Pettersson-OEL-Hughes

PP2

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin-Myers-Hoglander 

PK1

PK2

Petan-Lockwood-Bowey-Poolman

I’m really interested in knowing in what we have in Madison Bowey, and if he’ll be able to capitalize on the chance of playing with Hughes.

Edited by Patel Bure

57 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Pretty good.

I would go as follows (in the absence of Boeser):

Miller-Pettersson-Podkolzin 

Hoglander-Horvat-Klimovich 

Pearson-Dickinson-Garland

Gadjovich-Petan-Lockwood

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Bowey

Juolevi-Myers

Demko

Halak

PP1

Klimovich-Horvat-Pettersson-OEL-Hughes

PP2

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin-Myers-Hoglander 

PK1

PK2

Petan-Lockwood-Bowey-Poolman

I’m really interested in knowing in what we have in Madison Bowey, and if he’ll be able to capitalize on the chance of playing with Hughes.

I like most of this, but if it were up to me I'd drop Klimovich to the third line and swap him with Garland. I don't think we'll drop Pearson from Bo's line, but if we dropped him to the third line it'd make sense to play Klimovich with two defensively responsibe players in Pearson and Dickinson starting out. I'm more confident in Podkolzin's defensive game, and Miller and Petey might be able to draw out his offense. 

I'd also drop Gadjovich rom PK1 and replace him with Miller as I uncertain of his current PK abilities. Probably Bowey for OEL too, as there's no way OEL can't be an all situations D. 

Not sure what to make of Bowey, but without Hamonic out someone's gonna have to step up. 

Edit: Ahhh, I see, you want everyone on a special team somewhere.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Honestly i hope we roll with :

oel-myers
huggy-poolman
oj-boner

How nice would it be after months and month of people bashing one down to pick the other up, Yet they both make it. And on the same pairing lol. But we all know greener wont bite on this one though..:(

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

oel-myers
huggy-poolman
oj-boner

Juolevi and Rathbone would be too inexperienced as a pairing.

Either one of them with Schenn would be good though. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Not sure what it is with me and Madison Bowey, but I just really want to give this guy a legit shot and see what’s got.  He’s young, physical, and skates well.  Playing alongside Hughes, all he’d have to do is simplify his game and focus on the defensive end of things.  I think he can develop into that guy.  

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Bowey

Juolevi-Myers

Yes, I have Juolevi slated on the 3rd pairing instead of Rathbone.  Let Rathbone go to Abby and log huge minutes in all situations.  Call him up here to play on the 2nd pairing if one of OEL or Hughes goes down with an injury.  The presence of Rathbone just puts Juolevi in the press box.  Give Juolevi a legit shot to prove himself this season.

6 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

Not sure what it is with me and Madison Bowey, but I just really want to give this guy a legit shot and see what’s got.  He’s young, physical, and skates well.  Playing alongside Hughes, all he’d have to do is simplify his game and focus on the defensive end of things.  I think he can develop into that guy.  

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Bowey

Juolevi-Myers

Yes, I have Juolevi slated on the 3rd pairing instead of Rathbone.  Let Rathbone go to Abby and log huge minutes in all situations.  Call him up here to play on the 2nd pairing if one of OEL or Hughes goes down with an injury.  The presence of Rathbone just puts Juolevi in the press box.  Give Juolevi a legit shot to prove himself this season.

He's definitely a curiosity. He was acquired as expansion fodder, but he also wouldn't have been targeted if the Canucks didn't see potential for him to fit somewhere, whether that be Vancouver or Abbotsford. 

Could have acquired a bunch of guys as expansion fodder leading up to the draft, teams were gonna lose someone anyway. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He's definitely a curiosity. He was acquired as expansion fodder, but he also wouldn't have been targeted if the Canucks didn't see potential for him to fit somewhere, whether that be Vancouver or Abbotsford. 

Could have acquired a bunch of guys as expansion fodder leading up to the draft, teams were gonna lose someone anyway. 

He was actually one of the few available.  Had to already be under contract this season and have the game requirements. Many teams only had 1 D that met the requirements to expose and some had to do some late minute signings for expansion.

• Upvote 1

If Boeser is not ready to begin the season does that leave an opening for Klimovich?  

Miller           Pettersson    Garland

Pearson      Horvat          Höglander

Podkolzin   Dickinson      Klimovich

I'd like to see that in one of the two final games against Edmonton and see what happens...

Forward spots 10-11-12-13 are tough to decide on knowing that Motte/Sutter are out.

I would guess that it goes:

10- DiGiuseppe (4LW)

11- Dowling (4C)

12 - Chiasson (4RW)
13 - Gadjovich 

MacEwan gets waived.

Petan waived. 

Lockwood in Utica even though he’s played well. Waiver ineligible.

27 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Forward spots 10-11-12-13 are tough to decide on knowing that Motte/Sutter are out.

I would guess that it goes:

10- DiGiuseppe (4LW)

11- Dowling (4C)

12 - Chiasson (4RW)
13 - Gadjovich 

MacEwan gets waived.

Petan waived. 

Lockwood in Utica even though he’s played well. Waiver ineligible.

I think it also depends if Brock is out to start the year, if he is Garland will move up and three spots will be open in the bottom six:

Miller - Pete - Garland

Pearson - Bo - Hoggie

Podkolzin - Dickinson - _____

Highmore - _____ - ______

Extra: ________

I thought Highmore looked OK on the left yesterday, and he can PK, so I figure he's a lock for the team as they're short staffed on the PK. Judging by what I've seen so far, I'd probably go with the following if all three of Motte, Sutter and Brock are out:

Miller - Pete - Garland

Pearson - Bo - Hoggie

Dickinson - Petan - Podkolzin

Highmore - Dowling - Lockwood

Gadjovich

MacEwen, Di Giuseppe and Bailey waived. Chiasson released from his PTO. Once Brock comes back, Lockwood likely sent down due to waiver ineligibility.

I think Travis Green might disagree with me, but I'd much rather lose MacEwen to waivers than Gadjovich.

• Cheers 1