The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

I've kind of wondered about that as well. I also wonder if it's a bit due to style of players? High character guys seem to be the ones who tend to layout without much regard to their safety.

One things pretty obvious we have one of the more grueling camps considering every year new players go out of their way to reference the first couple of days lol.

Our travel schedule also plays into it. But when your strategy defensively is to let your D get hammered into the boards on a forecheck and to let other teams shoot a ton while trying to block them and your offensive strategy is to play dump and chase, you are going to pay a price.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Or how bout when reffs just let garbage go? What mssg does THAT send to opponents?

The Vegas thing on Leivo..or Baer, for examples

That happens to every team though.

If you want to be really fair about it, the reason teams take liberties with Vancouver is because for many years our team has had absolutely zero pushback when they do.

Vancouver is one of the easiest teams to play and intimidate in the NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

A little surprised Burroughs made it. Good on him for earning a spot

I'm guessing that's only the case given the Hamonic situation.

Under normal circumstances Hunt/Schenn are likely our 7 and 8 and Burroughs is on waivers.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If you want to be really fair about it, the reason teams take liberties with Vancouver is because for many years our team has had absolutely zero pushback when they do.

It's been open season for Nucks for too long. Willy and Green cared about senseless wins--makes for poor team identity.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Last time can recall our team was attempting some form of brute-deterrence, I seem to remember ridiculous 7 min, 2-man disadvantages.

Poor Torts would soon flip his lid, becoming a Utube chart-topper.

But we needn't debate the NHL's reffing quality. Rigging/influencing patterns have already been clearly established, & widely discussed. It's simply a question of whether "some teams" are more equal than others(in the classic, Orwellian style)

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Last time can recall our team was attempting some form of brute-deterrence, I seem to remember ridiculous 7 min, 2-man disadvantages.

But we needn't debate the NHL's reffing quality. Rigging/influencing patterns have already been clearly established, & widely discussed. It's simply a question of whether "some teams" are more equal than others(in the classic, Orwellian style)

Torts was all bark no bite. 

Last time the Canucks had a policeman, it was Donald Brashear. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Torts was all bark no bite. 

Last time the Canucks had a policeman, it was Donald Brashear. 

But aside from who was/wasn't tough..the officiating as they put the screws to Torts'(Dec, Jan 2014) game-style was astonishingly corrupt & incompetent. To me, it was the league blatantly affirming(for "some teams") that there were, indeed, 2 rulebooks.

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Saw him playing hard, but the reffs seemed to view him like bubble-Edm Myers.

idk I remember one where his stick swiped the guys face

however the new call every cross check is going to get sad real fast

• Vintage 1

Just now, lmm said:

idk I remember one where his stick swiped the guys face

however the new call every cross check is going to get sad real fast

Yeah, you feel kinda' bad for these bubble-guys, that are working so hard to reach a league that might be beyond their grasp(whatever team they play for). Putting in hard efforts, & lousy(or young, learning) reffs might make calls willy-nilly. It's gotta be so frustrating for the 'tweener.

As for the reffs, I don't really pay much attn to minor-penalty standards anymore. Especially early in seasons. Then late in season, their 2, 3 calls per team, appear a mood-thing.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Officials are human beings. So are the people who run the league. There will always be biases whether for personal reasons or even business reasons. 

It’s not about brute force. It’s about not always turning the other cheek trying to get a PP. I know a lot of hockey officials at all levels up to the nhl and they dislike when teams expect them to even things up for them all the time. Many officials are actually former players and they probably hate pansy teams in general principle.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’m sure Benning was surprised too.

He probably didn’t think Green would choose 5 guys that he had pegged for the AHL. 

Come on DeNiro your better than that, If you take into account Boesser, Sutter, Motte and Hamonic not playing and Juolevi being traded you are realistically down to just one that might have been pegged for the AHL.