The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

I hope these two realize the kind of pressure they will be putting on themselves if they get these massive post elc contracts in this market.

Neither have earned it and should be in the 5 and 6 range. Too bad gm's around the league have catered to everything they want after only 1-3 seasons.
Expecting overpayment that will look reasonable half way though the deals. 

Just please for a love of gawd under 8m.. We all know how history has played out with these overpaid guys and what they accomplish come postseason

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I hope these two realize the kind of pressure they will be putting on themselves if they get these massive post elc contracts in this market.

Neither have earned it and should be in the 5 and 6 range. Too bad gm's around the league have catered to everything they want after only 1-3 seasons.
Expecting overpayment that will look reasonable half way though the deals. 

Just please for a love of gawd under 8m.. We all know how history has played out with these overpaid guys and what they accomplish come postseason

Imo Hughes will be over 8, due to term.  Petey will be under 8, because he signs a bridge.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Imo Hughes will be over 8, due to term.  Petey will be under 8, because he signs a bridge.  

Whatever happens, They need to get this right. These deals really set the tone for our cap structure. Even 500k ea less can lead to enough room for that missing piece for a run.

I have a real good feeling this team gels, and is a good team pretty early into the season. Thus any worry about what they were paid is obsolete :towel:

Edited by Mustard Tiger
spilled mustard on keyboard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, MikeyD said:

If you were GM, and Petey wanted 7.5, would you let him walk? What about Hughes at 7 mill?

well hughes you could hardball more so I would try my hardest to do whats best for the team, saying that the Sedin's took less and I am sure that is one reason they came back to help JB out.To get a winning team players will take less as we have seen, not all but some will!

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Has anyone figured out exactly how much is left. I know there is a cap number out there but i believe it included players that will be sent down to Abbotsford and does not include LTIR relief.

Can anyone give a reasonable guess as to what amount is actually available to sign these two?

I believe it's about $16.2 million using all of Ferland's LTIR and a 23 man roster

• Thanks 1

Surely we can do Hughes @ 8 years, 8m per. Petey @ 5 or 6 years, 8m per. That is fair value for both sides. The only other option for Petey is a 3 year contract between 7-8m per, which keeps him under team control.

If Petey wants more money, he can sit out to start the season and watch his value drop. This team is used to playing with him out of the lineup and we can sustain it for a while.

Just now, -Moose said:

I believe it's about $16.2 million using all of Ferland's LTIR and a 23 man roster

Given that this would mean each player could conceivably get 8 Million a  year it doesnt make me feel too good about where they are at. Neither player is worth over 8 at this point in their career. I am not saying they are not good players, but they are not Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos,

Makar signed for 9 million and i dont think Hughes has outplayed him. I am not trashing him.

8.1 for both wouldnt be a bad salary for either one.

• Cheers 1

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Given that this would mean each player could conceivably get 8 Million a  year it doesnt make me feel too good about where they are at. Neither player is worth over 8 at this point in their career. I am not saying they are not good players, but they are not Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos,

Makar signed for 9 million and i dont think Hughes has outplayed him. I am not trashing him.

8.1 for both wouldnt be a bad salary for either one.

100% agree. Both players have flaws at the moment and we are committing a lot of money based on potential and hopefuls.

I'm a huge QH fan, but I'm sorry, Hughes is at least a couple levels below Markar. Makar is arguably one of the best defensemen in the league

8m for each is completely fair and seriously, do you really need more than that? Take one year of that salary, put it into some index funds and in 30 years you can live off just that. That's not even taking into account the other 10+ years of their playing career. It's not like we're trying to low ball them for 30% less than what they are worth

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what are you thinking is reasonable for an 8 year term? 

For me it's 8 million on the dot. Heiskanen is slightly better IMO and he got 8.45 

9 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

For me it's 8 million on the dot. Heiskanen is slightly better IMO and he got 8.45 

I'd agree, he's not in Heiskanen territory yet. MH is a far better defensive player right now, but I do think Quinn has the skating ability to be much better than he was last season. 

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1

I hope it doesn't come to this and I'm confident it won't, but something like:

Hoglander - JT - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Garland

Motte - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Whoever - Sutter - Whoever

We have the depth to play hardball with Petey for a bit

Edited by -Moose

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'd agree, he's not in Heiskanen territory yet. MH is a far better defensive player right now, but I do think Quinn has the skating ability to be much better than he was last season. 

Too many holes that may never be filled in Hughes game to sign for that money for that long.  He’s not more valuable the Barrie as he is.  Bridge him, 4.5, 5,5 and 7 across 3 years.  Pays him for what he is today and gives him the benefit of the doubt he gets there in three years 

Petey on the other hand should get the order of 6-7M for what he is today (near ppg 30 goal scorer), lock him up long term as he will only get better with man strength and more meat on those bones

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bbllpp said:

Too many holes that may never be filled in Hughes game to sign for that money for that long.  He’s not more valuable the Barrie as he is.  Bridge him, 4.5, 5,5 and 7 across 3 years.  Pays him for what he is today and gives him the benefit of the doubt he gets there in three years 

Petey on the other hand should get the order of 6-7M for what he is today (near ppg 30 goal scorer), lock him up long term as he will only get better with man strength and more meat on those bones

He's not Barrie level bad in his own zone; at least Hughes belongs in the NHL already, and has a chance of improving.  I'm interested to see how he does without Baumer handicapping the whole defense with his incompetence.

1 hour ago, -Moose said:

Surely we can do Hughes @ 8 years, 8m per. Petey @ 5 or 6 years, 8m per. That is fair value for both sides. The only other option for Petey is a 3 year contract between 7-8m per, which keeps him under team control.

If Petey wants more money, he can sit out to start the season and watch his value drop. This team is used to playing with him out of the lineup and we can sustain it for a while.

No thanks

• Like 1