The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

On 9/2/2021 at 12:15 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Also having the same agent has muddied the waters even more. IIRC early thought was that would be to the players advantage, but maybe its adv. team now.

The Canucks have a big chunk of cap space, now its on the agents to figure out how to divide it between their clients. 

The recent speculation that Hughes may go long term has added another layer. Just seems like a complex negotiation in general with lots to consider.

I'm not worried yet, think It'll get done soon.

Exactly what I was thinking. They now have the same guy representing them both for dibs on the same pot of money. We all know Pettersson will get the higher pay day. So which one is the agent going to be more loyal to, and work harder for lol.

I think it’s advantage Canucks, we have this much cap, you figure out how it gets divided amongst your clients and let us know.

Anyway, we seem to go through this every year. Everyone gets in a panic, this club controlled player isn’t signing, and then it gets announced a day before training camp. Probably as much a marketing ploy as a contract negotiation.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Exactly what I was thinking. They now have the same guy representing them both for dibs on the same pot of money. We all know Pettersson will get the higher pay day. So which one is the agent going to be more loyal to, and work harder for lol.

I think it’s advantage Canucks, we have this much cap, you figure out how it gets divided amongst your clients and let us know.

Anyway, we seem to go through this every year. Everyone gets in a panic, this club controlled player isn’t signing, and then it gets announced a day before training camp. Probably as much a marketing ploy as a contract negotiation.

Actually the agent is in the catbird seat as he gets his cut no matter what.  In my mind it is boarder line conflict of interest from the players point of view.

12 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

Actually the agent is in the catbird seat as he gets his cut no matter what.  In my mind it is boarder line conflict of interest from the players point of view.

That’s true, but also has to balance not irking one of the clients. That’s kind of the point I was trying to make, team and agent are spending and getting a similar amount of money regardless, and it’s more the players, or rather Hughes specifically, who may have made a “not so great move” in deciding to share the same agent while going for a contract from the same team at the same time. From the player’s perspective I’d say it is  a conflict of interest. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

That’s true, but also has to balance not irking one of the clients. That’s kind of the point I was trying to make, team and agent are spending and getting a similar amount of money regardless, and it’s more the players, or rather Hughes specifically, who may have made a “not so great move” in deciding to share the same agent while going for a contract from the same team at the same time. From the player’s perspective I’d say it is  a conflict of interest. 

Yes basically JB says to agent figure it out for this much $$$ and for sure Petey is in the better position to grab the most $$$.  The only question is term

Edit: I like 3-4 years and >6 years because they line up with Myers and OEL coming off the books which are the only obvious net gains in cap over the next 6 years 

Edited by bbllpp

29 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

I think Hughes was with the agent initially and it was Petey who joined afterwards. Petey might’ve screwed Huggy a bit. 

Both Pettersson and Hughes are likely to make 100 Million dollars over their careers. 

I can hear Mike Myers as Dr. Evil...

Anyway,  I hope that the league gets a handle on this ridiculous process of resigning RFA's.  Not good for fans or players or teams.  Only Agents.

Time to put this on the table for the next negotiated round of bargaining and streamline the process for the benefit of the fans players and teams and not the overpaid leeches.

• Vintage 1

On 9/1/2021 at 6:15 AM, IBatch said:

What would the model look like if EP three year deal is the same as Barzal's?  Also RH has a two year bridge at 5.   Just read an article suggesting Guerin should offer sheet EP rather then go after Eichel...And offer the same money, 5 years at 10 million.  The thinking is he wouldn't have to give up any assets other then futures...That's one scary proposition.   If EP signs it ... wow i guess it really is all about the money lol, but if they can jam EP in with their budding Bure-esque scorer then ... i suppose EP could say he felt MIN was a winning team lol.   There are flaws with the article, they aren't considering the facts right with the money JB has to spend.   And that we could match and then return the favour in a couple years when we have money freeing up lol.   Ten in MIN is like 10.5-11.0 here too.   Can't see why EP wouldn't take a deal like that from any US team if it's all about the money.    Detroit could easily do this too but i doubt Yzerman thinks they are done tanking, still need their picks.    

Anyways - i still think both EP and QHs will end up with more then they should - but do understand, that the next 4-7 years will likely be some of if not all of their best ones.   At the start i would have never said this, but at this point i'd be stoked if we did an identical 8-8.25x8 deal for the pair.   QHs would be a little overpaid, and EP a little underpaid.   If EP is worth 5 x 2 then he's not worth 7 x 3 either.    Games played do factor in.   It's not easy on a team when key players are only available 2/3 of a season...we went through this with Edler at times and especially Salo and Tanev. 

lol missing 1/3 of a season every season? he missed a 12 games out of 151 the first 2 season and wasn't in a rush to come back last season coz it's a lost season equates him to missing avg 1/3 of a season so around 28 games a season? so by that calculation he should have missed around 68-70 games already in his career right?

On 9/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, aGENT said:

I think they're going to end up with similar cap hits right around $6.5-$7m. Petety will be on a 3 year bridge and Hughes longer term at 5-6 years.

Hopefully they don't get caught in the middle ground with Hughes where we are only buying up a year or 2 of UFA. Hypothetically Id rather bridge Hughes & try long term with Petey. But Petey probably doesn't want that.

39 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It’s certainly possible to get screwed as a pro athlete. They’re entitled to their slice of the pie. They’re the reasons these leagues and franchises are worth so much money. 

People seem to miss this and it baffles me. Yeah they get to play a sport for a living BUT, it’s still a business. If you’re an integral part of a business’ revenue and the amount of revenue coming your way doesn’t represent that than yeah, you could be getting taken for a ride. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Both Pettersson and Hughes are likely to make 100 Million dollars over their careers. 

Both could get injured in training camp and never play again, or  could return as half the player they were.

This could be either's last contract.

As is true for any player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hopefully they don't get caught in the middle ground with Hughes where we are only buying up a year or 2 of UFA. Hypothetically Id rather bridge Hughes & try long term with Petey. But Petey probably doesn't want that.

I think if anything, it's likely to be the opposite. Bridge Petey, long term Hughes.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

On 9/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, bbllpp said:

Yes basically JB says to agent figure it out for this much $$$ and for sure Petey is in the better position to grab the most $$$.  The only question is term

Edit: I like 3-4 years and >6 years because they line up with Myers and OEL coming off the books which are the only obvious net gains in cap over the next 6 years 

Yeah, I wonder how much of this happens? Sounds reasonable to me. GM says these are the AAVs and terms I am willing to do, you (agent) can make the structure whatever you want within those AAVs and terms. (Signing bonuses, front load, back load, whatever).

On 9/3/2021 at 12:52 PM, arsenalian said:

not really.. just means they are prolly looking at maximizing the cap with a short term deal as neither will sign a long term and their next contract wouldn't be less than what it is now as a QO even if they don't play up to their potential.. and if they play up to their potential well prolly means we gonna lose a core player or 2 since we can't get them to commit to a long term reasonable AAV and will be in the market for another raise. like instead of having EP locked up at 8.5mil ish.. let's just say he continues his growth the next 3 years not out of the realm of possibility he'll be looking at 9.5-10mil as we'll have to pony up to buy into his UFA years.

On 9/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, wai_lai416 said:

lol missing 1/3 of a season every season? he missed a 12 games out of 151 the first 2 season and wasn't in a rush to come back last season coz it's a lost season equates him to missing avg 1/3 of a season so around 28 games a season? so by that calculation he should have missed around 68-70 games already in his career right?

Lol...not easy having key players like Salo, Tanev and sometimes Edler missing games.   That's the point.   The other point, is we haven't seen a full regular season from either of EP or QHs have we?   Look at how many games Brady T and Barzal played in comparison.   It's quite a few.  The point is, and again just to be perfectly clear, it's tough on a team, when players in key positions, aren't there for significant time often.    If last year was a full season, EP would have missed most of it.   He didn't come back because he wasn't ready to, not "coz" it was a lost season.  

On 9/4/2021 at 12:21 AM, aGENT said:

I think if anything, it's likely to be the opposite. Bridge Petey, long term Hughes.

I wanted the opposite, but after this off season, and seeing what sort of money is getting thrown around for Nurse and Werenski (not Hamilton, he earned it), ... with McAvoy, Sergachev, Chychrun etc been up after what would be a bridge for QHs now ... i think it's ok to lock him up for a long as we can at as cheap as we can even if it seems like an overpayment to start.   Almost certainly after a bridge deal we'd be looking at higher third contract then is palatable for QHs.  UFA years getting bought right now for blue chip D's has just gone up significantly.    Bridging one and not the other, comes with risks either way.   Still hope we sign them both to Horvat type deals.   Happy medium. 

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol...not easy having key players like Salo, Tanev and sometimes Edler missing games.   That's the point.   The other point, is we haven't seen a full regular season from either of EP or QHs have we?   Look at how many games Brady T and Barzal played in comparison.   It's quite a few.  The point is, and again just to be perfectly clear, it's tough on a team, when players in key positions, aren't there for significant time often.    If last year was a full season, EP would have missed most of it.   He didn't come back because he wasn't ready to, not "coz" it was a lost season.  

QH? he missed 1 game in 2 season it's his fault the season were only 69 games or 56 games? Brady T missed a month in his rookie season? more than QH have ever missed? so not sure why u even bring up QH. brady missed as much games as EP in his first 2 season. if last year was a full season EP would have missed most of it? he prolly would have missed about 3 months of a 7 months season. he didnt' come back coz he wasn't ready to. so you know for sure he wouldn't play thru it if he was close and the canucks were actually in a playoff battle instead of trying to hurry up and be done with the season? was there even a point to even try to play thru it? the canucks were done literally 1 week after returning from the covid break and with the compact schedule and all the back to backs there was 0 reason for him to even attempt to practice nor play thru the injury. you won't know i won't know coz we ain't the doctors and we ain't him.

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

QH? he missed 1 game in 2 season it's his fault the season were only 69 games or 56 games? Brady T missed a month in his rookie season? more than QH have ever missed? so not sure why u even bring up QH. brady missed as much games as EP in his first 2 season. if last year was a full season EP would have missed most of it? he prolly would have missed about 3 months of a 7 months season. he didnt' come back coz he wasn't ready to. so you know for sure he wouldn't play thru it if he was close and the canucks were actually in a playoff battle instead of trying to hurry up and be done with the season? was there even a point to even try to play thru it? the canucks were done literally 1 week after returning from the covid break and with the compact schedule and all the back to backs there was 0 reason for him to even attempt to practice nor play thru the injury. you won't know i won't know coz we ain't the doctors and we ain't him.

a lot of our players played thru their injuries last season. Pettersson didn't and thats ok, but you shouldn't expect to want a more money this season. like i said and Sedin said, its not about the money , it is about the hard work and winning attitude to get to the cup!!!

• Vintage 1