The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I say SHL is better than AHL.

So players in SHL should be tested directly in NHL. If they don't cut it send them back or let them try AHL. The mindset in organisation/coaches seems to be so different between AHL and SHL so it's just a waste of money with AHL

When it is so much money involved it should be more psychology. 

you should stop letting your swedish nationalism colour your opinions. 

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, I say SHL is better than AHL.

So players in SHL should be tested directly in NHL. If they don't cut it send them back or let them try AHL. The mindset in organisation/coaches seems to be so different between AHL and SHL so it's just a waste of money with AHL

When it is so much money involved it should be more psychology. 

Might be some more elite skilled young players in the SHL, but the depth of the AHL is far superior.  The SHL should go to our sized ice to improve their game too.  

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Might be some more elite skilled young players in the SHL, but the depth of the AHL is far superior.  The SHL should go to our sized ice to improve their game too.  

I prefer the larger ice as the game is a lot different, but the world doesn’t revolve  around  the NHL so whatever size ice they want to use they should 

13 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

I prefer the larger ice as the game is a lot different, but the world doesn’t revolve  around  the NHL so whatever size ice they want to use they should 

the hockey world does kind of revolve around the nhl, though. if the iihf and it's member nations wanted to do the best thing for their players, assuming their goals are to reach the highest peak of the sport (the nhl), then switching to nhl ice would help those players out. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, tas said:

the hockey world does kind of revolve around the nhl, though. if the iihf and it's member nations wanted to do the best thing for their players, assuming their goals are to reach the highest peak of the sport (the nhl), then switching to nhl ice would help those players out. 

Your assuming the best thing is the NHL, if they let talent drain from the leagues and actively promote that they run the risk of having the leagues being undercut by talent drain. 

the NHL yes is the biggest and most lucrative league but it’s not the be all and end all of hockey 

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Your assuming the best thing is the NHL, if they let talent drain from the leagues and actively promote that they run the risk of having the leagues being undercut by talent drain. 

the NHL yes is the biggest and most lucrative league but it’s not the be all and end all of hockey 

I'm not assuming the best thing is the nhl, I'm pointing out that, yes, obviously, the best thing is the nhl. sure, it's not as simple as the best 700 players on the planet being in the nhl, but comparing any other league to the nhl is like comparing the cfl to the nfl.

11 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not assuming the best thing is the nhl, I'm pointing out that, yes, obviously, the best thing is the nhl. sure, it's not as simple as the best 700 players on the planet being in the nhl, but comparing any other league to the nhl is like comparing the cfl to the nfl.

No the best league is the NHL not the best thing. A country wants access to its best players for international games , not if they play in the NHL, a league wants to improve its standings but keeps get talent drained, a league actively spends on youth set ups, coaching and development only to get zero compensation when players are lured across to NA and them dumped into the minors. 

European clubs often have youth clubs and academies and it’s costs a fair amount to develop players and get little to no compensation back. 

it’s like saying because the premier league is the richest league it’s the best thing. 

• Cheers 2

back to contract talks...

Any idea what comparables there are for our 2 key RFA's??

Petey- logic says Barzal but I think Barzal has proven to be more healthy and more of a consistant well rounded player right now vs EP. Maybe that has to do with how the coach trusts and deploys his players i don't know. But I don't think Petey deserves that same short term 3yr deal at 7m per. I think Petey should sign the Brock contract myself at 3yr under 6m.

Hughes- only comparable I can think of is Chabot, but he signed an 8yr 8m per deal. Something I would offer both players if I was GM. Players and their agents tho will want short term deals to wait out the flat cap then cash in for larger deals.

I don't see us doing 2 year deals for them as that would end at the same time as Bo and Miller, so to me its either 3 year deals for both which seems like the most likely outcome or we try to get them signed long term now for 8 years and hope they appreciate the long commitment at 8m per and know going forward that might help the team out when we become more of a cup contender so we can add the right depth players and have the financial flexibility to do it. I don't want us to be like Edm or Tor and have too much tied up in a couple players limiting the quality of the rest of the team around them due to cap constraints

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

back to contract talks...

Any idea what comparables there are for our 2 key RFA's??

Petey- logic says Barzal but I think Barzal has proven to be more healthy and more of a consistant well rounded player right now vs EP. Maybe that has to do with how the coach trusts and deploys his players i don't know. But I don't think Petey deserves that same short term 3yr deal at 7m per. I think Petey should sign the Brock contract myself at 3yr under 6m.

Hughes- only comparable I can think of is Chabot, but he signed an 8yr 8m per deal. Something I would offer both players if I was GM. Players and their agents tho will want short term deals to wait out the flat cap then cash in for larger deals.

I don't see us doing 2 year deals for them as that would end at the same time as Bo and Miller, so to me its either 3 year deals for both which seems like the most likely outcome or we try to get them signed long term now for 8 years and hope they appreciate the long commitment at 8m per and know going forward that might help the team out when we become more of a cup contender so we can add the right depth players and have the financial flexibility to do it. I don't want us to be like Edm or Tor and have too much tied up in a couple players limiting the quality of the rest of the team around them due to cap constraints

I agree petey shouldnt get barzel money yet. Matt does have a 85 point season and petey hasnt done that yet. He shouldnt be getting 7 mill on a bridge deal but 6.5 for 3 years im okay with.

Quinn i hope gets a sergachev type deal of 4 years at 4.8 mill per. 

just want both deals done soon. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I agree petey shouldnt get barzel money yet. Matt does have a 85 point season and petey hasnt done that yet. He shouldnt be getting 7 mill on a bridge deal but 6.5 for 3 years im okay with.

Quinn i hope gets a sergachev type deal of 4 years at 4.8 mill per. 

just want both deals done soon. 

100% agree on both deals. 4 years doesn't take Sergachev to UFA status either, so I hope JB offers QH this contract. Imagine if QH & EP both do bridge deals like Tamba Bay has Gotten, Sergachev/Cernak/Cirelli/Kucherov(previous contract) maybe someone else. TB got those guys to take 3-4 yr rfa bridge deals that kept their old or current cap hits all under 5m, a relatively low # considering the production Kucherov was doing at 4.9m or whatever his old deal was.

The way TB handled their big stars in recent years is actually the EXACT THING GM JB should do with how our team is and will be in a couple years. Sign longer bridge term deals to current rfa's and future ones that are coming off ELC's.

We could do 4yrs for QH and EP then in 2022 we resign Brock, 2023 Bo/Miller, 2024 Hog, 2025 Pod, 2026 QH & EP.

Basically if the Canucks do what TB did in recent years we could stagger all our RFA deals to longer term 3-4yr per player deals then there is only 1 off season where you have 2 big contracts to resign. Then year to year you have 1 big contract to resign if you want etc.

Please JB or Canucks brass read my post and follow the TB model in how they signed all their previous and current long term bridge rfa contracts....Look where it got them, a Cup and looking real strong to get back to another this year with a loaded team with staggering contract lengths to afford having a high talented team not paying out 6 large contract just 2 at a time then year to year per player etc like TB

i wonder how much extra cash francesco gets to slide over to these guys for their "exclusive endorsement" deals they put together with vanbase (owned by aquilini, separate from general nhl merch sales) that effectively serves as cap circumvention. pay petey, quinn and thatcher $2 mil each off the nhl books to collaborate on some new era hats to sell through the team store?

sorry, I know this was apropos of nothing, I've just been seeing it on Instagram a bunch recently and it made me wonder. 

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If these deals are reasonable (andI am not expecting that to mean either player takes far less than they deserve) and get done quickly before the expansion draft, entry draft, and ufa period, I will consider that a big plus for Benning.

See, you're one of the good ones.  I've said this a thousand times, but I'll repeat it again:  I have no issues if Benning is replaced, but please for the love of god and all that is holy, use logic and good arguments.  

To counteract your point, I will say that if Hamonic is not brought back, I will consider that a big minus for Benning.  

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

U dont know dr. Dangles? Wow where have you been? Under a rock?

Dr Dangles? Is he a real doctor?  

Does he specialize in trades, dangling our players to the opposition?  Has he tried dangling #21 to other teams?  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

See, you're one of the good ones.  I've said this a thousand times, but I'll repeat it again:  I have no issues if Benning is replaced, but please for the love of god and all that is holy, use logic and good arguments.  

To counteract your point, I will say that if Hamonic is not brought back, I will consider that a big minus for Benning.  

Cheers. 

Now that Benning is staying, what he does this offseason will give everyone a good idea of whether keeping him was a good idea or a bad one. Signing Clark and bringing in Shaw are major positives to me. Keeping Baumgartner, adding another green coach most have never heard of, and having Jason King take over the PP are, at least at this moment, moderate negatives for me. Net positive on the coaching changes overall but a final grade will depend a lot on the adjustments the coaching staff actually makes.

I hope Green lets Shaw overhaul the defensive systems because another year of Baumgartner running that show will be ugly. And the forward group shouldnt get a free pass for their defensive support either. They need to support the D much more effectively. For a team that preaches forwards being defensively responsible, the Canucks forwards hang the D out to dry constantly from missing their assignments in the defensive zone to not supporting a quick, effective breakout. How many times have we seen the D double clutch looking for a breakout pass only to dump the puck out or ice it trying to pass because no forward is in the right place to take a pass cleanly? The team needs to support much more effectively in all 3 zones.

I hope hBenning does not re-sign Edler. Too much temptation for Green and Baumgartner to overuse him. It is time to see what guys like Juolevi and Rathbone can do. Both are more suited to an up tempo, aggressive style offensively and a puck pressure, quick transition type D style. I think both are ready for increased roles.

• Cheers 1