The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's your idea of "stifling Petey's freedom"? Asking a player to defend when they're in their own end?

Jesus.

That darn TG.   It's all his fault.   Guy is a good coach and has earned a chance to work with better players.   At this point his forward group is very good.   Even excellent if we could add say Eric Staal for 2 x 2... For that to happen, we'd need  both QHs and EP on team fair/reasonable deals.    All these silly flat cap contracts have put the screws to every other GM in the league including us - or even mostly us given we have two to do.   16.5 IMO - is enough to do both for 8 years.   Maybe even leave some on the table.   To me we should be able to sign EP to 3 just like Barzal - and QHs to a Horvat type deal - 6 years, AND still add a player like Staal.   If we did that then say hello to some deep playoff runs despite our defensive issues.    Doubt it would happen but just pointed that out.   Greed.   Wants to be on a competitive team etc.   Well we are a competitive team - sign already and don't take all the cap on the way.   JB bent over backwards and almost over a table for both these guys.    Same as TG.   He let them play didn't he?   All o-zone all the time.   Guys should both be kissing  both JB and TG assess as they are going to be beyond rich as a result.   Sure they are good.   But not double Miler good or Horvat or BB or whomever.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dahlin at $6x3 is a good turn for JB.  Should put QH around $5x3 as Dahling is a better player

Probably a touch over $5 ($5.2-$5.5?) for 3 years but yes....think anyone will believe me yet that there's no chance we're signing Hughes for the silly $8x3 +/- numbers like some people are suggesting here.

Honestly, people's understanding of contract comprables, RFA vs UFA years etc is kind of sad on here :lol:

Personally, I hope we do 6 years for him at +/- $7m to coincide with OEL's contract expiring. Petey at around $7x3 and we can get the season started.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

While I agree with you in that Dahlin is the better player, an arbitrator would look at points scored along with Dahlin's plus minus and say Hughes should get 7

There's is no arbitration and if there was they look at more than stats

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

While I agree with you in that Dahlin is the better player, an arbitrator would look at points scored along with Dahlin's plus minus and say Hughes should get 7

I’d say that this backs up my argument of 6.5 average for 3 years.

5.5 year 1

6.5 year 2

7.5 year 3

To borrow a phrase, “Lock him up!”

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

What in hell are you talking about? Those two are the best players on this team period. Do you actually think they're going to get Matthews, Tavaras, or Marner money? Do you think they're going to sign for Boeser money, Miller money, Horvat money? Get serious.

Read back. There are rumors circulating that they want 9+. Would you sign them 10 mil? That makes us TO if they do.

Would people say Matthew Tkachuk's value should be similar to EP40's? If we isolate what he brings to a team (ie. offence, grit, hits, etc), and forget the fact that he is a dink, is EP40 really worth 2M extra AAV? I don't think so. MT gets paid 7M, earning 9 in his final year (qualifying offer). If I'm Jim, I would have a goal of Petey at 8 as I feel that is fair value for him.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I’d say that this backs up my argument of 6.5 average for 3 years.

5.5 year 1

6.5 year 2

7.5 year 3

To borrow a phrase, “Lock him up!”

Pretty flawed argument.

No arbitrator would just look at his points and the team would instantly bring up his +/-, zone starts, one dimensional play etc. There's no world where any logical person would believe Hughes is worth more than Dahlin. At BEST, you could make a case for him getting paid near the same amount, and even then there's plenty of ammo to show why he should make less.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dahlin at $6x3 is a good turn for JB.  Should put QH around $5x3 as Dahling is a better player

In what way is Dahlin better other than he is physically a bigger player?

Hughes has better p/pg, better career +/-, plays more minutes per game, was a +4 in all situations last season compared to Dahlin's -16 and Hughes has also actually received votes for the Norris.

I'd love to get Hughes signed to a contract that matches Dahlin's but I'm thinking his is going to come in around $1 million more per year on a 3 year bridge.

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

In what way is Dahlin better other than he is physically a bigger player?

Hughes has better p/pg, better career +/-, plays more minutes per game, was a +4 in all situations last season compared to Dahlin's -16 and Hughes has also actually received votes for the Norris.

I'd love to get Hughes signed to a contract that matches Dahlin's but I'm thinking his is going to come in around $1 million more per year on a 3 year bridge.

Because I watch games.  Hughes needs to be sheltered, Dahlin not so much

6 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

RUMOURS???? I said months ago that Hughes would come in at 6.5 x 3, and EP a bit higher, certainly not 10.

I did not say you said it. People are claiming they want 9+ that is why the deals cannot get done with the money available. 

The only part that I disagreed with you was about paying them what they wanted. 

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I did not say you said it. People are claiming they want 9+ that is why the deals cannot get done with the money available. 

The only part that I disagreed with you was about paying them what they wanted. 

I always wanted more than what I thought the going rate for my job was. Do you think any player, other than maybe Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux got what they wanted?

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty flawed argument.

No arbitrator would just look at his points and the team would instantly bring up his +/-, zone starts, one dimensional play etc. There's no world where any logical person would believe Hughes is worth more than Dahlin. At BEST, you could make a case for him getting paid near the same amount, and even then there's plenty of ammo to show why he should make less.

Trust me, I'm good with him getting paid the same or less than Dahlin, but there's a level of dynamic there and drive to improve that is rare in players. If we locked him up at 6.5 average for 3 - 4 years, I look at that as a win, after Makar signing for 9 million and the Dallas Heiskanen 8.45 million deals.

I really believe that Hughes has it in him to be an elite D at both ends of the ice, but completely agree that he needs to prove that he can do both at the same time, after last year.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Because I watch games.  Hughes needs to be sheltered, Dahlin not so much

That'd be a great point of it were true. Dahlin and Hughes both have the same amount of O Zone Starts, Hughes face a higher quality of competition, plays more minutes per game and neither kill penalties. So how is it that Hughes is more sheltered than Dahlin?

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

That'd be a great point of it were true. Dahlin and Hughes both have the same amount of O Zone Starts, Hughes face a higher quality of competition, plays more minutes per game and neither kill penalties. So how is it that Hughes is more sheltered than Dahlin?

Dont get me wrong I love QH, but I'll take Dahlin every time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1