The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

26 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

He's also a disaster defensively. 

So was Jones. So was Nurse. People forget that it takes top d men a few more years to learn their craft than other positions. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I guess the question is what is the definition of elite?

I would say since Petey or Hughes are the Canucks top center or top dman we are comparing them to the top?

So there are 32 #1 centers in the league and 32 #1 dman? Some teams have 2 some have 0.

So 32, elite to me is top 10%, or roughly top 3 centers in the league. Could stretch it to top 5?

Is Petey 5th or 6th best center in the league? Probably not.

Is he good, yea he's real good. So is Quinn. 

Do they deserve elite money? No, but next level for sure.

so are you telling me only mcdavid Draisaitl matthews are the only elite but players like mackinnon crosby aho barkov backstrom ROR tavares etc etc etc are just good players?

5 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:
  1. issue w/ hughes is that he needs defensive work. DMAN getting 8 mill are great both ways. I'm not saying Hughes can't do it but time will tell. We need a dman to complement hughes , tanev was that guy and took care of defensive woes hughes had, but without Tanev he was more so exposed.

Pettys injury can be a factor in his salary... if he doesnt have that same shot I mean

boeser injury didn't factor into his salary so i doubt you can use that as an excuse lol oh you are injured so here's less than what you should get coz who knows if you'll fully recover? lol i'm sure there will be teams contemplating offer sheeting EP offering the max salary for a 1st 2nd and 3rd rounder compensation which is really peanuts coz those 3 draft pick more than unlikely turn out to be anything close to a EP while we continue discussing why he should get less than comparable market value coz he's not an established player in the league nor an elite.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

so are you telling me only mcdavid Draisaitl matthews are the only elite but players like mackinnon crosby aho barkov backstrom ROR tavares etc etc etc are just good players?

I guess I am saying I consider McDavid elite and Petey ain't there yet.

I think the closest contract comparable for Petey is Barzal's $7million x 3. It's possible Petey's camp aims for $7.5 -8 million, but the limited games played may work in Benning's favour. Hughes' comparable may be Pulock's $5 Million x 2 for short term, or Chabot's $8 million per on a long term.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I guess I am saying I consider McDavid elite and Petey ain't there yet.

well ya no one say he's in mcdavid category no one is lol but only the top 3 is elite? so the rest of the top centermans are has been? just a dime a dozen player that every other team have one?

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

5.875 x 3 ea. Boeser has done the most to earn this out of the 3

lol? he played 9 games in his first season and then 62 and 69 in his next 2 both injury riddled but he earned his contract but EP who played a lot more at a higher PPG haven't done anything to earn it? wtf u smoking

On 5/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

I feel this can go one of 2 ways.

Boeser took a good deal (somewhat of a bridge) and it would be awesome if Elias did the same. Sign him for 3 years if the case as it makes said contract expire after Miller and Horvat are resigned. 3 years too for Hughes if bridge type. This allows for the cap to increase by the time they need to be resigned. 

6m x 3 years for Petey - May not want to resign long term due to wrist injury and potential decrease in play 

Tyson Barrie took near 4 million, but it was more of a show me contract and his stats are inflated due to MCD

Petry makes 5.5 million for the HABS and had better stats

Hedman makes under 8 million. 

Chychryun makes near 4.5 million

If we could get Hughes for 5 million for 3 years I'd be happy

----

Long term sign them so their contract expires so they remain RFA in their last year.

Petey 7.5 million for 8 years?

Hughes 7 million for 8 years?

First of all Quinn will be highest paid D man  so over 6 million on bridge deal 3 years?  These guys could demand over 8 million if they keep improving...

Petey 3 yrs X  7 million - (  Barzel - NYI, signed 3 X 7 million good comparison )--- Next contract  could be 8 million to 9 million...

Quinn 3 yrs X 6.7  million....Next contract could be 7.5 -- 8.5

Pe

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Jones, nor Nurse were nearly as bad as Quinn.  Keep dreaming.  

image.png

image.png

I guess it depends on what you look at.  When you chip in offensively it sort of nullifies things that you still have to work on.  You're still contributing.  He plays a high risk, high reward game but needs to refine it a bit.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol? he played 9 games in his first season and then 62 and 69 in his next 2 both injury riddled but he earned his contract but EP who played a lot more at a higher PPG haven't done anything to earn it? wtf u smoking

Not as strong as your stuff apparently. Part of the reason why we are this bad is our top 6 in not consistent, watch literally any playoff game. Those are 6-12m players. Our guys are not on that shift after shift consistency yet to earn the huge dollar. Fans are out with pitchforks because of long high dollar handcuffing contracts but are soo quick to resume the cycle when there is no reason. Bridge all the way.

49 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well ya no one say he's in mcdavid category no one is lol but only the top 3 is elite? so the rest of the top centermans are has been? just a dime a dozen player that every other team have one?

No I said 3-5?  They are elite. So the others aren't has been. Maybe there  are a few more but there aren't 15 elite NHL centers. There are 15 very good NHL centers but not elite.

More like A++ vs A+.

23 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No I said 3-5?  They are elite. So the others aren't has been. Maybe there  are a few more but there aren't 15 elite NHL centers. There are 15 very good NHL centers but not elite.

More like A++ vs A+.

i dunno about u but there are plenty of elite NHL centers in the league.. you telling me outside of the top 3-5 McDavid Draisaitl Matthews Mackinnon Crosby etc.. you wouldn't take Barkov Aho RoR Backstrom Pavelski Kopitar Tavares Bergeron Giroux Malkin etc etc in their prime coz they are note elite? prolly all 32 GM would disagree with u? they are not franchise players like the McDavid.. but they are all easily considered elite in their prime lol like whats ur definition of elite? have to have 1.5ppg or score 50+ goals a season for their career?

24 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno about u but there are plenty of elite NHL centers in the league.. you telling me outside of the top 3-5 McDavid Draisaitl Matthews Mackinnon Crosby etc.. you wouldn't take Barkov Aho RoR Backstrom Pavelski Kopitar Tavares Bergeron Giroux Malkin etc etc in their prime coz they are note elite? prolly all 32 GM would disagree with u? they are not franchise players like the McDavid.. but they are all easily considered elite in their prime lol like whats ur definition of elite? have to have 1.5ppg or score 50+ goals a season for their career?

Generational- 1 every 10 years

Elite - top 5%

Very good - 94%-80%

Good 79%-60%

Average 59% -50%

Below average 49% 

"Take" is a tricky word....I mean I'd "take" Brandon Sutter.

But I'd take McDavid over Giroux.

I'd take McKinnon over Tavares.

Also their primes don't line up so I can't cherry pick prime years. For example Crosby is better than  Malkin but Malkin has had better years.

Edited by Chris12345

34 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Generational- 1 every 10 years

Elite - top 5%

Very good - 94%-80%

Good 79%-60%

Average 59% -50%

Below average 49% 

"Take" is a tricky word....I mean I'd "take" Brandon Sutter.

But I'd take McDavid over Giroux.

I'd take McKinnon over Tavares.

Also their primes don't line up so I can't cherry pick prime years. For example Crosby is better than  Malkin but Malkin has had better years.

lol ur *elite* top 5% basically covers the exact same generational player.. so i guess there are no elite players in this league... 5% of 32 is 1.6.. McDavid is a generational player, Ovechkin is a generational player, Crosby is a generational player one can argue malkin is also a generational player as he's the one that carried Pittsburgh the first couple playoff and their first cup.. i mean that's already more than 5% so basically there's only generational player and then very good players there are 0 elite players in this league.

or if u include all the center in this league then i guess that's like what? 32 teams times 4 center per team so 128? 5% of that is like 6? so outside of McDavid Crosby maybe Matthew and or malkin.. there's really only 1 or 2 elite players in this league? i didn't know you need to be almost a point a game player just to even be considered *good* in this league.. so i guess by ur standard EP is only considered good and that makes Bo average to below average?

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol ur *elite* top 5% basically covers the exact same generational player.. so i guess there are no elite players in this league... 5% of 32 is 1.6.. McDavid is a generational player, Ovechkin is a generational player, Crosby is a generational player one can argue malkin is also a generational player as he's the one that carried Pittsburgh the first couple playoff and their first cup.. i mean that's already more than 5% so basically there's only generational player and then very good players there are 0 elite players in this league.

or if u include all the center in this league then i guess that's like what? 32 teams times 4 center per team so 128? 5% of that is like 6? so outside of McDavid Crosby maybe Matthew and or malkin.. there's really only 1 or 2 elite players in this league? i didn't know you need to be almost a point a game player just to even be considered *good* in this league.. so i guess by ur standard EP is only considered good and that makes Bo average to below average?

I was thinking 5% in the league so just high level 150 centers 5% = 7.5 centers round to 8 for elite plus 1 generation.

I am of the belief you can't have multiple generation players bundled together in the same positions.

I think Petey is very good but not elite. Bo is there too but a different player.

Not as good as McDavid, Crosby, McKinnon, etc.

Edited by Chris12345