The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes

15 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I think our window is just opening.  Elias, Quinn, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone and even a guy like Boeser need another year or two to start hitting their primes.  

It's going to be a fun 5 years coming up!  :D 

In terms of evolving from a 1st round calibre team (which is where they are now imo), into an elite team, I think the biggest key for this Canucks team will be in finding a suitable top pairing calibre “stay at home RD” that can be a suitable ying to the Yang for one of Hughes or OEL.

Hughes-???

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Hamonic is ok for now but at some point, the Canucks will need that top pairing stay at home guy on RD.  If guys like Klimovich and Rathbone take leaps in their games, it will give us options in terms of trading for a top RD.  You could possibly use Klimovich as a Boeser replacement and then move Boeser for a top pairing RD.  Maybe one of Klimovich and/or Rathbone could be used as sweeteners in order to get an upgrade on Myers.  

The bottom line is that the development of both Rathbone and Klimovich will give the Canucks some significant options in terms of ascending to the next level.

2 minutes ago, Patel Bure said:

In terms of evolving from a 1st round calibre team (which is where they are now imo), into an elite team, I think the biggest key for this Canucks team will be in finding a suitable top pairing calibre “stay at home RD” that can be a suitable ying to the Yang for one of Hughes or OEL.

Hughes-???

OEL-Poolman

Rathbone-Myers

Hamonic is ok for now but at some point, the Canucks will need that top pairing stay at home guy on RD.  If guys like Klimovich and Rathbone take leaps in their games, it will give us options in terms of trading for a top RD.  You could possibly use Klimovich as a Boeser replacement and then move Boeser for a top pairing RD.  Maybe one of Klimovich and/or Rathbone could be used as sweeteners in order to get an upgrade on Myers.  

The bottom line is that the development of both Rathbone and Klimovich will give the Canucks some significant options in terms of ascending to the next level.

For all of Benning's great signings, allocating $6 million under the cap for a bottom pairing defenseman in Tyler Myers long term seems a bit silly. The guy realistically a #4 man, but on this team, you can't put him in the top 4, because he's not defensively responsible enough to play those minutes without a defensively sound partner. So he's a $6 million d-man stuck on the bottom pairing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Benning had a fabulous off-season.  We are now set up with depth in all positions, so getting into the playoffs is for certain.  Then Petey and Quinn will lead the group to the Cup.  :towel:

So the world isnt collapsing? I’m so confused with this optimism? Yay? Go Canucks? What about Jp berry? 

2 hours ago, grumpyone said:

wasn't Petey quoted early in the summer that he wanted to play on a competitive team?

it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what those $11+mill. contracts do to a teams make up. (it handicaps the entire team )

he seems smart about it, I'll take a little over 7 now on a show me contract...it's not what HE can show, it's on Benning to show HIM what the Canucks can do.

Agree... gives JB and Green in particular a few years to show, where we're heading.  
Bring it on....

1 hour ago, Chris Thornycroft said:

For all of Benning's great signings, allocating $6 million under the cap for a bottom pairing defenseman in Tyler Myers long term seems a bit silly. The guy realistically a #4 man, but on this team, you can't put him in the top 4, because he's not defensively responsible enough to play those minutes without a defensively sound partner. So he's a $6 million d-man stuck on the bottom pairing. 

I really like Tyler Myers and he was in my opinion our best dman last year (by a landslide too).  

I do agree with you though that we haven't seen Myers in a pairing that works well.  He's often been put with Hughes, Rathbone and Juolevi who all have big defensive deficiencies. So as a result we often have Myers playing on what is considered a third pairing HOWEVER he is our most important PK dman.  So no matter how you slice it, he will end up getting the toughest minutes on the team (and a lot of them) because of the PK.  

Calling Myers a 3rd pairing dman when he's playing 22 minutes night in night out is a bit misleading. 

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

..nothing left for goaltending and defense.

Yep.  As I was saying yesterday, the Leafs tried to model themselves after the championship winning Penguins, but it looks like their core will be destined to be the 2010-2015 Penguins instead (ie a very good team that ultimately falls short to teams that with more depth to the way their respective caps are allocated).   I expect that the Leafs will have a few 2nd and even 3rd round appearances before Austin Matthews departs in a few years.  I just can’t see the Leafs going beyond that level however.

ps - by the way, I get a lot of things wrong in my predictions, but I did predict that the Tavares signing in Toronto would give them more long term problems than success.  Many posters on HF Canucks such as Y2kCanucks, ProstheticConscience, etc., scoffed at my remarks since the Leafs are their paragon of success. #Shanaplan

Edited by Patel Bure

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Myers is not a bottom pairing defenceman, and he's worth every penny of his $6M per year. Give your head a shake, man.

Who should he be paired with? 
OEL and Hughes need another partner and if OEL lives up to his contract he will take most minutes.

Hughes want some action also.

So Myers won’t see any PP time this season.

Will PK and 3rd pairing give enough to support your opinion?

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow.   Our best all around D last season...very little PP time to pad his stats, and almost twice as many PK minutes then Hamonic, and virtually the same overall as Edler.   If we weren't playing catch up most of the year and wasn't played with QHs his plus minus would be near best on the team too.    He's earned every penny of his deal so far as a free agent.   We are lucky to have him ... our right side would be awful without him.  

I think you’re right… I also think he’s a been a bit of an odd fit so far. It would be fantastic if somehow he and OEL could play well together…. While I’m not sure about that pairing on paper it would certainly help our defence if they could make it work!

OEL Myers

Hughes Poolman/Hamonic/Schenn

Juolevi Poolman/Hamonic/Schenn

• Vintage 1

Myers was essentially doomed from the start here. Is he a #1 Dman? No. But he's not as bad as this board makes him out to be. The narrative about him as soon as it was rumoured the Canucks were interested is that he's Loui Player Name on defense, and nothing short of Norris calibre play was going to change it. The contract isn't great, but considering the contracts that were being handed out this offseason its not that bad either. We need a whipping boy on defense and with Pouliot and Benn gone, Myers became the de facto option.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Who should he be paired with? 
OEL and Hughes need another partner and if OEL lives up to his contract he will take most minutes.

Hughes want some action also.

So Myers won’t see any PP time this season.

Will PK and 3rd pairing give enough to support your opinion?

He should be paired with whomever the coaches think he should play with. 

Myers eats a lot of minutes and plays a hard and heavy game for us. He's mean and can clear the crease. He can also play in any role we throw at him. And, lastly, he was on pace for 30+ points last year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Myers eats a lot of minutes and plays a hard and heavy game for us. He's mean and can clear the crease. He can also play in any role we throw at him. And, lastly, he was on pace for 30+ points last year. 

Yes, but with two offensive players in D we don’t need Myers offensive abilities.

Just look at what Green tries now, OEL and Rathbone as PP1 and 2.

Can Myers be the guy that stays behind?

Just now, Timråfan said:

Yes, but with two offensive players in D we don’t need Myers offensive abilities.

Just look at what Green tries now, OEL and Rathbone as PP1 and 2.

Can Myers be the guy that stays behind?

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

• Cheers 2