The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Olli Juolevi to Panthers for Juho Lammikko, Noah Juulsen

4 minutes ago, Xol said:

Finally came to terms with that bust pick. At least Schenn plays with bite, we don't have much of that 

He did move up and make a big hit last night. 

He does have bite. I don't hate him. 

I just think we should be building a fast puck moving team and he seems to be one of the few that's not which might disrupt the flow of the game for our team

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

I don't think Joulevi failing as a prospect can really be blamed on Benning. By the scouting reports themselves, one of Joulevi's strengths was his mobility and skating. However, it was clearly one of his weaknesses at camp. The only thing that can explain the drastic difference in his skating has to do with his injuries. Nobody has a crystal ball guys. Virtanen I blame 100% on Benning, Joulevi was just unlucky. 

In drafting the first round you always take the BPA. Juolevi was not the BPA at #5 

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Just because Tkachuk is an a hole on the ice doesn't mean he is one with the team. 

After this trade and luxury of hindsight anyone who doesn't regret the draft is in complete denial

Lol we probably still have people in these boards that think Virtanen is a better pick than Ehlers or Nylander :lol:

2 hours ago, VforVasili said:

I like how quickly folks forget that the reason Juolevi didn’t pan out had a lot to do with serious injuries that derailed his development. It is easy to discount hat and say it was a bad pick with the advantage of hindsight. 

Was hoping he could get back on track but there weren’t a lot of options left other than to trade him. He would not have cleared waivers. 

Got some projects in return of roughly equivalent value. Happy enough with that. 

Actually if you look at the first pages of his page a there were many disappointed with this pick 

9 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

They are spoiled human beings.  Hot weather, beach, ocean and watching some strangers holding a silver cup. 

Spoiled? Florida is the armpit of the USA.

I don't know if it's the constant wet heat or what but it seems a lot of the weird that happens in the states comes from the state of Florida.

Gimme a place with 4 actual seasons any day.

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Darius said:

To me it looked like he could see the ice well and read the play at the nhl level.  We even saw some decent physical play from him.

what was concerning was his lack of ability to turn when he was getting challenged on the outside. A lot of our defenders seem to have deficiencies, so it says a lot about how he was viewed if they gave up on him. 

green seems to have his fingerprints on a lot of these moves.  

In one of the exhibition games, there was a play where an opposing forward came at Juolevi, went left and Olli turned right. I watched him for the rest of the game and realized he can only turn one way. In the NHL you have to be able to turn both ways or guys are going to blow by you often and this was certainly the case with Juolevi. Some guys just can't master the art of turning both ways (I'm one). Edler had the same problem but managed to hide it well.

28 minutes ago, brokensticks said:

In one of the exhibition games, there was a play where an opposing forward came at Juolevi, went left and Olli turned right. I watched him for the rest of the game and realized he can only turn one way. In the NHL you have to be able to turn both ways or guys are going to blow by you often and this was certainly the case with Juolevi. Some guys just can't master the art of turning both ways (I'm one). Edler had the same problem but managed to hide it well.

Zoolanderitis 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

In drafting the first round you always take the BPA. Juolevi was not the BPA at #5 

I was excited that the Vancouver Canucks were picking from the London Knights..... 

Olli Juolevi? Lol

Ppl were mad and then they started looking at world junior highlights and started to feel better. 

Lol we probably still have people in these boards that think Virtanen is a better pick than Ehlers or Nylander :lol:

At least Virtanen's buyout is a lot less than what the Leafs are paying Nylander to float and refuse to backcheck.  Jake made Double Flamingo look like a workaholic.

Actually if you look at the first pages of his page a there were many disappointed with this pick 

Yup, i remember listening to the draft, everybody got caught off guard with Dubois going #3, and when the oilers picked puuljarvi, i was excited that for SURE we were landing Matt Tkatchuk. When they announced "canucks pick from the London Knights, Olli Juolevi" man was I pissed. Tkatchuk was pretty consistent the 3rd best player in the class pretty much all year, some even had him at #2 and we passed him up

4 hours ago, VforVasili said:

I like how quickly folks forget that the reason Juolevi didn’t pan out had a lot to do with serious injuries that derailed his development. It is easy to discount hat and say it was a bad pick with the advantage of hindsight. 

Was hoping he could get back on track but there weren’t a lot of options left other than to trade him. He would not have cleared waivers. 

Got some projects in return of roughly equivalent value. Happy enough with that. 

I don’t really buy the injuries excuse when a guy like Chychrun who was injured going into his draft year, is looking like a Norris calibre defensemen, right now. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1