The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toughness need not apply

Rate this topic

AlbertanNuckfan

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

We are not soft at all.

Just not loaded with scrappers.

What did EDM do to Myers after his hit on public enemy number 1? feeble turtle of a fight, followed by nadda for the rest of the game.

and the Oilers do how good in the playoffs?

14 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

When the games become more intense & the Zebras had put the whistles away - this roster will need to bite back but Green is not a coach that is interested in getting involved with the shenanigans.  Playoff hockey is war and this roster hopefully will have enough grit to bite back.

Same with the last core.   Crawford's had some guts, but the games not played that way anymore.   I hope so too, based on one game - zero to complain about so far though. 

3 hours ago, lmm said:

and the Oilers do how good in the playoffs?

Worse than we did when we were in the playoffs a couple of years ago? We weren't even supposed to be there to begin with let alone be thinking about toughness at that time.

If toughness proves to be a problem this year then sure, I'll jump aboard that "we need toughness" train, but I'm not seeing that being a problem at this point. We've only have 1 game into the season and panicing about this now just seems pointless to me, especially when we have so many new faces.

And, honestly, I see people complain about out "lack of toughness" every year whether it's last year or the year of the 2011 finals or before then. I also look around the league and see so few teams that I would personally think even have toughness. Seriously. Look around the league. Pretend you're a fan of other teams. Ask yourself if you are happy with that team's toughness. I personally think most teams aren't even tough. There are expceptions of course, but if there has to be exceptions, it means the rule is the opposite.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Same with the last core.   Crawford's had some guts, but the games not played that way anymore.   I hope so too, based on one game - zero to complain about so far though. 

Ditto: one game in with lots of moral victories (mainly about the late comeback) and some surprises: Kyle Burroughs.  I hope him & Bones will solidify the third pairing.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I did not mention the playoffs.

I am not against picking up a tough big dude. Just pointing out that we're not soft. 

I mentioned the playoffs, so you don't have to

I guess it depends on your definition of soft

some argue that the Sedins were not soft, or Gallagher or Johney Hockey or Derek Dorsett, but small guys or small teams run out of gas in the playoffs (there I said playoffs again)

Keith played for years with Seabrooke, are players coming in thinking make a hit or take a hit?

tough players, that can play, take the retaliation factor out of the game and make the other team think about getting hit 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Worse than we did when we were in the playoffs a couple of years ago? We weren't even supposed to be there to begin with let alone be thinking about toughness at that time.

If toughness proves to be a problem this year then sure, I'll jump aboard that "we need toughness" train, but I'm not seeing that being a problem at this point. We've only have 1 game into the season and panicing about this now just seems pointless to me, especially when we have so many new faces.

And, honestly, I see people complain about out "lack of toughness" every year whether it's last year or the year of the 2011 finals or before then. I also look around the league and see so few teams that I would personally think even have toughness. Seriously. Look around the league. Pretend you're a fan of other teams. Ask yourself if you are happy with that team's toughness. I personally think most teams aren't even tough. There are expceptions of course, but if there has to be exceptions, it means the rule is the opposite.

Montreal, NYI, Vegas, Tampa last seasons final 4

Montreal has lost a lot of what they had, do you think they make it back to the final?

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

I mentioned the playoffs, so you don't have to

I guess it depends on your definition of soft

some argue that the Sedins were not soft, or Gallagher or Johney Hockey or Derek Dorsett, but small guys or small teams run out of gas in the playoffs (there I said playoffs again)

Keith played for years with Seabrooke, are players coming in thinking make a hit or take a hit?

tough players, that can play, take the retaliation factor out of the game and make the other team think about getting hit 

Yes.

We're not soft.

12 hours ago, lmm said:

Montreal, NYI, Vegas, Tampa last seasons final 4

Montreal has lost a lot of what they had, do you think they make it back to the final?

Montreal wasn't that tough imo. They were more like we are now.

Out oif those 4, I only see Vegas as actually being tough. The other 3 were willing to grind in the playoffs, which is what we need to be successful rather than straight up toughness.

Edited by The Lock

On 10/13/2021 at 2:57 PM, AlbertanNuckfan said:

1st it was Gadjovich to get claimed by the sharks,  now it's Zakk MacEwen by the flyers....  not sure about anyone else but I'm starting to get pissed off.  WTF  is going on?  No the sky is not falling but what ever we have for star players are going to be. There is already very little respect for our team in general bease of the lack of muscle on our team and we just got softer....  any 1 watch the Nucks and coilers the other night in Edm.  Mac did pretty good against Kassian and now he's gone. Any 1 else getting pissed off by these moves.  

what ever we have for star players are going to be.”

Priceless.

LUCIC - REAVES - BOLL

MARTIN - WILSON - CLIFFORD

KASSIAN - GABRIEL - JOHNSTON

McEWEN - RINALDO - WATSON

There’s your toughness.

I don’t understand what Benning’s problem is. This is the obvious lineup the Canucks should ice. Drafting skilled kids isn’t a way to win a Cup.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes.

We're not soft.

I think the caveat really should be - "yes we are not softer then the average NHL team".     The league has been trending this way since the lockout.   As Burke said during Quin Hughes draft, back when he was a GM, skating was way down the line as far as what they looked for in a player because it was the EASIEST thing to improve.   Without a redline, and with PIT a winning back to back cups when JB was doing his thing, our team is leaning towards skill.   It's not like we don't have some toughness ... but Lindens teams would have absolutely destroyed this team - and most teams, in a seven game series.   Times have changed.   Dead puck era is over, goon squad on the fourth line is over, and things have reverted to pre-enforcer in which my life time ive never seen.    Skating isn't everything, otherwise Raymond, JV and Hagelin types would be highly sought after.   So toughness still matters.   And hopefully always will.   It's just that not many players are like they used to be anymore.   I wish it wasn't so - but it is what it is,  and speed speed speed is what teams seem to want now and it's still super awesome/entertaining.   That said no Mario/Gretzky types in a long time.   McDavid is much closer to Hawerchuck level. 

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think the caveat really should be - "yes we are not softer then the average NHL team".     The league has been trending this way since the lockout.   As Burke said during Quin Hughes draft, back when he was a GM, skating was way down the line as far as what they looked for in a player because it was the EASIEST thing to improve.   Without a redline, and with PIT a winning back to back cups when JB was doing his thing, our team is leaning towards skill.   It's not like we don't have some toughness ... but Lindens teams would have absolutely destroyed this team - and most teams, in a seven game series.   Times have changed.   Dead puck era is over, goon squad on the fourth line is over, and things have reverted to pre-enforcer in which my life time ive never seen.    Skating isn't everything, otherwise Raymond, JV and Hagelin types would be highly sought after.   So toughness still matters.   And hopefully always will.   It's just that not many players are like they used to be anymore.   I wish it wasn't so - but it is what it is,  and speed speed speed is what teams seem to want now and it's still super awesome/entertaining.   That said no Mario/Gretzky types in a long time.   McDavid is much closer to Hawerchuck level. 

If we are not 'softer' than the average then we can say we are 'tougher' than the average.  Tough is the right way to put it I think. Doesn't mean pugilistic necessarily but as has been pointed out, we do have quite a few players that will drop the mitts if need be. We seem like we could be more of a hitting team this year too. 

I love a big fighter that can play. They are hard to find. Would be nice to add one but it's not as high on my list as for some. 

The idea that we are pillowy soft is a joke. Some good character on this team. A new skating and skill era is upon us, I feel JB has put together a nice balance and depth in a lot of areas.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

If we are not 'softer' than the average then we can say we are 'tougher' than the average.  Tough is the right way to put it I think. Doesn't mean pugilistic necessarily but as has been pointed out, we do have quite a few players that will drop the mitts if need be. We seem like we could be more of a hitting team this year too. 

I love a big fighter that can play. They are hard to find. Would be nice to add one but it's not as high on my list as for some. 

The idea that we are pillowy soft is a joke. Some good character on this team. A new skating and skill era is upon us, I feel JB has put together a nice balance and depth in a lot of areas.

Absolutely.   Size wise we've probably slipped from 9-11ish over this off season, losing Gadj and Hamonic and Edler hurt, to maybe the bottom third?   Don't know for sure yet.    That said Hogs isn't soft - neither is Garland...you could say EP and QHs are soft for sure - but that's not their job either.    On that point.   I'm stoked we have OEL.   Finally, probably since Jovo, fans can see what a true number one defenseman looks like again.   One that is on the PP, the PK and 5 x 5 doesn't hurt you, and has game breaking abilities.     I agree we have some good character on this team, first game of the season nothing at all to complain about at all.   We showed some character coming back from 2-0 especially given the fast whistles - one of those two goals (Garlands) should have counted given the puck was still in play.    Not terribly worried about our "toughness".   But yes i'd sure like a pugilist on the team that can play too.  Gadj might have been that guy. 

On OJ.   If a team is willing to make a trade before waivers ... that says that they believe he's also an NHLer.    Both Green and JB are and absolutely should be on the hot seat at this point, i'm also willing to wait and see how it plays out before passing judgement. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

Who is the toughest team in the league? Used to be easy to tell, we were them once.

Now its one tough guy per team and they pretty much fight the other tough guy on the other team. 

We don't have a heavyweight, but it didn't really show up against Edmonton. 

We were tougher last year but it got us no where. I would like Ryan Reaves on the team, but so would nearly every other team. 

I would take Tom Wilson too. But I know that's not a popular opinion. 18 year old Sam Bennett?