The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

23 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Last night there were some positive signs that they may be alright. I thought that the Defense that was supposed to be so bad didnt look all that bad. They had McDavid and Draisitl shut down for the most part. Three guys went to McDavid on the first goal by  Puljujarvi. The second power play goal by the oilers was the result of a bad bounce with the puck as the Oiler player shot the puck into our player going off to get the power play. We will have to watch those types of plays as we go forward in the season especially against the Oilers. It was just a great play on their power play to give Hyman the tap in.

Myers hit on Keith was one of the sweetest open ice hits i have seen in a while. Couldnt happen to a nicer guy in my opinion. Thats the Myers we need.

Demko played well,Burroughs played well, Myers had a big game, Hughes,Hoglander, Podkolzin Pearson Horvat were engaged all night. Chiasson was in the play most of the night.

I thought we did ok in the hit department and fore-checking was solid throughout the game.

Our speed has definitely improved over last season.

Now a few things still worry me. This was an issue in Pre season as well.

First off we cant score. Too many shots throughout the game were right into the chest of Smith. He played well but we made him look a lot better than he is. Chiasson especially hit him three or four times right in the crest.Also he should not be the shooter on the power play.We will not have success if he is the one taking the shot. He needs to be on top of the goalie.

Pettersson tried to do too much on his own right now. I thought a couple times he had a player open and chose to try to dangle thru a few Oilers. He will get that figured out

The biggest worry to me is Miller. He lets his frustration get the best of him at times and being a competitive guys is good and all but he could not have looked more disinterested on the shootout attempt.That worries me.

We need Brock especially on the power play. He is the one guy whose heavy shot can go through the goalie. He was sadly missed on the first 4 Power plays for sure.

We got a lot of season left. We picked up a point in a game that looked like we would get none. We probably had the better run of the play all game and definitely should have won the game in OT. Off to Philadelphia on Friday and Detroit Saturday This was an issue in Pre season as well. Pick up three of four points in those two games and we are golden.

Nice to have hockey back.Go Canucks Go

I agree with pretty much everything you said except Chiassion being the shooter.  He's the net front presence but that doesn't mean he doesn't move from that spot.  His chances were a very positive sign for the pp, even if he didn't convert.  He's a smart player on the pp.......he clearly knows when to disengage in front to get open.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

He couldn’t finish, I know it’s only one game but if Högz was in front of the net he would have connected with one of those as he has way better hands then Chiasson 

So?  Neither could Petey, Miller, Bo etc.  He clearly knows when and how to get open.  All players don't convert on 90% of their shots.

After watching the speed version, think this was the best pre season game for the Canucks… lol.  

Cardiac Kids are back and better than ever.  

That and without our leading scorer from last year, Brock, and after a few defensive miscues, something I think will iron out in a few games.  Play without the puck is harder to obtain cohesion with new players to you.  Rust is best removed with work and time.  

Loved the shot genration, the puck movement and both goalies were fantastic. 

Love to hate Mike Smith.  Was it me. Or was he trash talking after making saves?  

Pretty early in the year to do that.  I though Vancouver was unlucky not to convert at least one more chance and the two Edmonton goals were impossible for Demko to stop.  

But the speed and effort, had we had Brock in the line up, to match up star vs star, think it would have been a better outcome.  But getting a point with a very good effort is almost as good as it gets on the road.  

Really like this team, and for those that worry about pre season, that’s why it’s called the pre season.  

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

So?  Neither could Petey, Miller, Bo etc.  He clearly knows when and how to get open.  All players don't convert on 90% of their shots.

No, if you were watching The game Högz was going and was effecting the game and I just don’t understand why Green doesn’t put him on one of the PP and him and Petey were playing well when together I just think a line of Miller, Petey, Högz until Boeser comes back is more of a top line then with Chiasson is on it.

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Remember the Poolman Thread. Lol. 

Hows that 2.5 million a year look? Pretty good eh.

How About OEL. Looking like another guy worth his contract. 

Myers destroyed Keith. Nuff said.

So who’s to blame now. The coach and a couple plugs if you will.

Yup ahh things seem to be back to normal and I’m pretty excited about that. Looks like the narrative has shifted. I’m ok with that!

Great post. The pre-season had the predictable effect of convincing a certain segment of the fanbase that we were going to be a trainwreck this year. But lo and behold are good things already unfolding, things to be excited about, even after one game.  It’s going take some consistently positive results to seriously change the narrative amongst the die hard Canuck doomers though. I really hope the team can win consistently in order to silence these folks as it’s become so boring to listen to. Though I fear the complaining about the coach has become a reflex for a few and probably won’t end until he’s gone.

• Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

On a sad note.

Can we take a moment of silence for our teams helmets?

It seems TD bank found it important to place their giant ugly corporate brand sticker on the dome of all our beloved warriors.

I will make sure not to do business with TD.

I didn't really notice them to be honest.

Which is also a bad thing for TD if you want Ad revenue. Lol. 

Really good effort from the Canucks, happy with the point to kick off the season on the road.

The McDavid's are supposed to be a contender this season (again), so it's nice to see the Canucks push back and come back late in the game like that.  Chiasson and Poolman weren't very good, and Podkolzin looked a step behind and a bit out of place. Noticed he didn't play much in the 3rd. Very optimistic, especially once they get Boeser (and hopefully Hamonic) back.

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah.

I think Chiasson had a bunch of good looks last night, which means he know where to go. I do miss Brocks shot but overall the PP had some chances.

I also don't mind Hogs on the 3rd line, he is so skilled that he adds another legit threat to score.

How can a team spread out the scoring without spreading out the scorers?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really good effort from the Canucks, happy with the point to kick off the season on the road.

The McDavid's are supposed to be a contender this season (again), so it's nice to see the Canucks push back and come back late in the game like that.  Chiasson and Poolman weren't very good, and Podkolzin looked a step behind and a bit out of place. Noticed he didn't play much in the 3rd. Very optimistic, especially once they get Boeser (and hopefully Hamonic) back.

Poolman was insanely good.  

• Cheers 2