The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Detroit Red Wings | Oct. 16, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Gotcha.  Wasn't sure what you were inferring, seemed to be that we get boned with travel time.   Geographically the league takes steps every year to mitigate where our team is located - if they didn't then we'd be stuck with the most travel time, which we don't really.   That was my point - i didn't read back in the thread far enough to get what the point was so sorry if i assumed that wasn't your point. 

All good. I appreciate that you're able to recognize you didn't get the full context of the conversation and walk it back civilly. Its so rare and nice to see on an internet messageboard, which is usually full of vitriol even over simple misunderstandingsof other people's points. (I am fully guilty of that myself at times as well so I'm not standing on any kind of high horse).

Most teams have at least a couple geographic rivals they can at the very least take a bus/train to. For the longest time Vancouver's closest rival was Calgary, which would take over 10 hours to get to by driving. Meanwhile if you play for a team in the NYC area you could theoretically drive to your opponent's rinks and be home by midnight. This has to have an effect on the players, the constant shuffling between flights and not getting to sleep in your own bed and so on.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The goalie is allowed the space regardless of where he is on the ice. There are no hits allowed whether behind the net in his crease or out at the blue line. Thats Smith taking advantage of the rules

In any case where a player makes unnecessary contact with the goalie, a penalty will be assessed. However, if the goalie is outside the crease and is in the process of playing the puck and accidental contact is made, it will be allowed, as long as the player tried to avoid it.

6 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

The goalie is allowed the space regardless of where he is on the ice. There are no hits allowed whether behind the net in his crease or out at the blue line. Thats Smith taking advantage of the rules

Or just following the rules.  Smith, Turco and Broduer especially were/are great at this. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Zadina's an ass for how he responded....not cool.  Red Wings are a little too full of themselves...if it wasn't for goaltending we likely would have beat them 8-3.  I hope the league does address this because this kind of stuff is so inappropriate!  Garland is a workhorse and maybe if prima Zadina skated instead of reached he wouldn't have put himself in a bad position.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/red-wings-zadina-calls-canucks-garland-third-period-hit/

Agree completely.   I had predicted 6-3 Canucks and I still stand by that prediction of "what should of happened" based on our teams abilities Vs. Detroit.  However, their Goalie played outstanding and some of our shots were off the mark by mere inches.   Lets see what they're like on March 17th !  

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Which i dont think Hogs tried to do and Greiss wasnt playing the puck. as for what Smith does he still can be outside the crease and should not be hit. If he rins interference back there as long as he isnt run over they will not call it.

Edited by mikeyman109
  • Cheers 1

Yes, we should have won that one and yes, the refereeing blew.  But I love the feisty play the Arizona boys are bringing.  OEL is the anti-Sedin:  a bit of agitating and definitely no turning the other cheek.  We needed this.

Greiss had a great game but we could have made it harder on him.  We had traffic in front but shots weren't getting through.  Our attack didn't break down their defensive coverage very often.  Passes out in front from behind their goal line might do that but we don't seem to emphasize that much.  We also don't seem to open space for many cross-ice passes through seams below the hashmarks. 

Another good game for Rathbone and Burroughs:  give them more minutes!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Isn't that what they do already?  What you don't like is that refs are not all exactly the same. One ref sees it one way, one ref sees it another. 

There will never be a resolution for that issue

I agree with the fact one ref sees it different from another, but unless there is a league standard that is upheld, then the players have no basis to what they're playing against 

Seems that our boys are still struggling with slow start-itis.  With so many new faces (11?) on the team, I can imagine there's some adjusting going on.  They need a bit more time to learn systems, gel as a team and develop chemistry.

Still, they are showing us that there is a very positive change with this team.  I see ++speed, physicality, creativity and great energy on the ice.  I think they are developing into a very exciting and entertaining group.

• Vintage 1

Red Wings' Zadina uses offensive term to describe Canucks player

Detroit Red Wings winger Filip Zadina used a derogatory term during a post-game press conference on Saturday.

After a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks, the 21-year-old was in the middle of commenting on a forceful hit from forward Conor Garland that sent Zadina to the ice and the Canucks winger to the penalty box, when he used an offensive term for little people.

“I went to chase the puck, went reaching for the puck, and he reversed hit me, I guess,” Zadina said, describing the hit. “I mean, like the midget that he is, it’s pretty normal that he’s reverse hit. I don’t think he’s strong enough to battle me in the corner one-on-one, and he just did a stupid hit. It is what it is.”

While Garland certainly did the youngster dirty by raising a vicious elbow in an attempt to keep possession of the puck, there are certainly other terms for Zadina to use to describe the five-foot-10 Vancouver winger.

It is uncertain if the Red Wings will address the use of this word, but since Zadina has been playing in North America since 2017 — even before Detroit drafted him sixth-overall in 2018 — there is really no excuse for not knowing that is an offensive term to use.

Through two games, the Czech forward has one goal and one assist.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Haha 3
  • Wat 1

10 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Red Wings' Zadina uses offensive term to describe Canucks player

Detroit Red Wings winger Filip Zadina used a derogatory term during a post-game press conference on Saturday.

After a 3-1 win over the Vancouver Canucks, the 21-year-old was in the middle of commenting on a forceful hit from forward Conor Garland that sent Zadina to the ice and the Canucks winger to the penalty box, when he used an offensive term for little people.

“I went to chase the puck, went reaching for the puck, and he reversed hit me, I guess,” Zadina said, describing the hit. “I mean, like the midget that he is, it’s pretty normal that he’s reverse hit. I don’t think he’s strong enough to battle me in the corner one-on-one, and he just did a stupid hit. It is what it is.”

While Garland certainly did the youngster dirty by raising a vicious elbow in an attempt to keep possession of the puck, there are certainly other terms for Zadina to use to describe the five-foot-10 Vancouver winger.

It is uncertain if the Red Wings will address the use of this word, but since Zadina has been playing in North America since 2017 — even before Detroit drafted him sixth-overall in 2018 — there is really no excuse for not knowing that is an offensive term to use.

Through two games, the Czech forward has one goal and one assist.

Garland probably loved this.   Only a story for a certain segment.   saturday night live snowflakes GIF by HULU

• Haha 2