The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

Where did I mention a single thing that would suggest I know what’s going on in his head.  
I said he isnt shooting and is getting knocked off the puck easily.  

I did say he looks disinterested, which he does…..

Your post makes no sense. 

how would you know his level of interest?

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

how would you know his level of interest?

I wouldn’t.  
That’s why I said he ‘looks uninterested’. 
Looks.    
That’s not a hot take. 

Does he look like he is fully engaged out there to you?

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Like 1

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

I wouldn’t.  
That’s why I said he ‘looks uninterested’. 
Looks.    
That’s not a hot take. 

Does he look like he is fully engaged out there to you?

he does to me. He's just out of sync with his line and with his own timing.

If I'm Green I'm getting him to shoot everything. Last game was his worst game in his young NHL career and he's clearly just in his head too much. Gotta force the kid to shoot and once a couple go in he can get out of it. 

Tell him if he passes too much on the powerplay he's off the unit. Between Hughes, Miller and Petey they kill half a powerplay just passing to each other alone without even moving to open up ice. 

• Cheers 1

He's trying way to hard to make a flashy play every time he has the puck. I lost count how many times he gave the puck away last night trying to look fancy. He dragged the top line down last night and in the last couple of games.

Some will use missing the training camp and very little hockey games the past year or two as an excuse.. which is valid but what has he been doing with all that free time? I've seen him posing on social media more than I seen him posting training vids over the summer.
Quinn also missed training camp but he's busting his ass out there every shift and has made a noticeable impact on the team right away.

I'm not saying trade Petey or anything, but for a guy that was willing to miss an important training camp for more money and all the talk about wanting to play on a winning team in the Summer, I expected a much hungrier player...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

If I'm Green I'm getting him to shoot everything. Last game was his worst game in his young NHL career and he's clearly just in his head too much. Gotta force the kid to shoot and once a couple go in he can get out of it. 

Tell him if he passes too much on the powerplay he's off the unit. Between Hughes, Miller and Petey they kill half a powerplay just passing to each other alone without even moving to open up ice. 

They r trying to pad eachothers stats.  That was the issue with the pp last year and even 5 on 5.  

I think the Canucks are going to rue the day they gave up on Dahlen.  And you can say he wanted a trade all you want, but he was a kid and kids don't always get what they want.  Look at how the Oilers handled Puljuarvi, he wanted a trade too, but they didn't give up on him, they gave him a time out and let him cool off in Linga.  And now look at him, he's a different player now than he was a couple years ago.  Same as Dahlen, he's all grown up now, full of confidence and oozing talent.  If you ever wondered why the Canucks can never seem to break free from the bottom look no further than this little example.   

Remember when Pavel Bure got dressed up for his little brothers draft?  And the Canucks passes on Valeri and went for Libor Polasek?  Yeah me too.  Same old Canucks.  If you freeze the video you can actually pinpoint the second Pavel Bure's heart broke.  I get the same feels with Pettersson and Dahlen.  Just the same old same old.  

• Wat 1

46 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the Canucks are going to rue the day they gave up on Dahlen.  And you can say he wanted a trade all you want, but he was a kid and kids don't always get what they want.  Look at how the Oilers handled Puljuarvi, he wanted a trade too, but they didn't give up on him, they gave him a time out and let him cool off in Linga.  And now look at him, he's a different player now than he was a couple years ago.  Same as Dahlen, he's all grown up now, full of confidence and oozing talent.  If you ever wondered why the Canucks can never seem to break free from the bottom look no further than this little example.   

Remember when Pavel Bure got dressed up for his little brothers draft?  And the Canucks passes on Valeri and went for Libor Polasek?  Yeah me too.  Same old Canucks.  If you freeze the video you can actually pinpoint the second Pavel Bure's heart broke.  I get the same feels with Pettersson and Dahlen.  Just the same old same old.  

lol i don't think this have anything to do with dahlen.. sure i don't like how dahlen was not given the chance here but does that mean you have to gift a spot for dahlen in order to get pettersson to play? Dahlen asked to be traded out of vancouver he was the one that left pettersson not Vancouver trading away Dahlen to piss off Pettersson.. well i guess we should just get rid of hughes to NJ at all cost coz he looked like he wanted to play with the other 2 hughes.

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i don't think this have anything to do with dahlen.. sure i don't like how dahlen was not given the chance here but does that mean you have to gift a spot for dahlen in order to get pettersson to play? Dahlen asked to be traded out of vancouver he was the one that left pettersson not Vancouver trading away Dahlen to piss off Pettersson.. well i guess we should just get rid of hughes to NJ at all cost coz he looked like he wanted to play with the other 2 hughes.

You don't just throw in the towel with a talented 21 year old.  If he's mad let him cool off, but Benning didn't waste any time getting rid of him after the first little spat.  What if (hypathtical)  Podkolzin gets upset because he's not getting the ice time he thinks he deserves?  Is Benning so quick to the trade trigger? Benning never thought Dahlen would develope in to an NHL caliber player.   Like I said, you just don't kneel to every kids demand, you'd think an organization that gave up on Neely would know better.  Hughes showed by signing with the Canucks long term he wanted to stay here.  

55 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

You don't just throw in the towel with a talented 21 year old.  If he's mad let him cool off, but Benning didn't waste any time getting rid of him after the first little spat.  What if (hypathtical)  Podkolzin gets upset because he's not getting the ice time he thinks he deserves?  Is Benning so quick to the trade trigger? Benning never thought Dahlen would develope in to an NHL caliber player.   Like I said, you just don't kneel to every kids demand, you'd think an organization that gave up on Neely would know better.  Hughes showed by signing with the Canucks long term he wanted to stay here.  

so the player expressed he wants to be traded and doesn't want to play for your team anymore cause he doesn't like the chance he's getting with the big club. you tell him F*k you stay in the AHL i ain't trading u? or are you suppose to gift him a playing spot just to make him happy?

6 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so the player expressed he wants to be traded and doesn't want to play for your team anymore cause he doesn't like the chance he's getting with the big club. you tell him F*k you stay in the AHL i ain't trading u? or are you suppose to gift him a playing spot just to make him happy?

Exactly,  he's a kid, yes a player but still just a kid on a ELC, and even after that contract expires the team still holds his rights. You don't think Puljuarvi is thanking his lucky stars and the Oilers organization for not trading him?  A young man does a lot of maturing in 2 years.   

11 hours ago, Trebreh said:
He's trying way to hard to make a flashy play every time he has the puck. I lost count how many times he gave the puck away last night trying to look fancy. He dragged the top line down last night and in the last couple of games.

Some will use missing the training camp and very little hockey games the past year or two as an excuse.. which is valid but what has he been doing with all that free time? I've seen him posing on social media more than I seen him posting training vids over the summer.
Quinn also missed training camp but he's busting his ass out there every shift and has made a noticeable impact on the team right away.

I'm not saying trade Petey or anything, but for a guy that was willing to miss an important training camp for more money and all the talk about wanting to play on a winning team in the Summer, I expected a much hungrier player...

It's very possible that the lack of regular and substantial game play over the past two years has ruined him.   It's happened before and it can happen again to any NHL player.   

The EP40 Choir - should prepare themselves for an eventual trade if he does not rebound out of this.   He could be Jason king 2.0 !

38 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Exactly,  he's a kid, yes a player but still just a kid on a ELC, and even after that contract expires the team still holds his rights. You don't think Puljuarvi is thanking his lucky stars and the Oilers organization for not trading him?  A young man does a lot of maturing in 2 years.   

no not really the only reason Puljuarvi isn't out of edmonton was they couldn't get anything close to his value of a 4th overall pick lol otherwise he would be gone. Funny you think the kid is going to work his ass off sitting in the AHL knowing he has 0 chance on this team seeing all the injury and callups and he still gotten 0 chance. and even the current version of the canucks he has no spot on this roster. you really think he would re-sign when his ELC expires to try for a spot on this team again with no guarantees and then be sent to the AHL again? not a chance he's gonna re-sign with the team and just play in europe at least on the sharks there's plenty of roster spots up for grab on the canucks theres no spots available unless you are a 3rd 4th line plug.

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

no not really the only reason Puljuarvi isn't out of edmonton was they couldn't get anything close to his value of a 4th overall pick lol otherwise he would be gone. Funny you think the kid is going to work his ass off sitting in the AHL knowing he has 0 chance on this team seeing all the injury and callups and he still gotten 0 chance. and even the current version of the canucks he has no spot on this roster. you really think he would re-sign when his ELC expires to try for a spot on this team again with no guarantees and then be sent to the AHL again? not a chance he's gonna re-sign with the team and just play in europe at least on the sharks there's plenty of roster spots up for grab on the canucks theres no spots available unless you are a 3rd 4th line plug.

Dahlen wouldn't have made any NHL team,  the Sharks new this that's why he was sent back to Sweden for 2 years.  You make it sound like the Canucks deprived him of an NHL spot when the fact is he simply wasn't ready for any NHL job.  Sadly, Dahlen was ok with the Sharks sending him down for seasoning, but just not the Canucks.  Sounds fair.  You're right, there are no guarantees but the alternative is what we got which was nothing.  You have to at least try to convince him to stay.  And lastly there was plenty of opportunity for Dahlen if he was ready.  2 years ago our top 6 was pretty sad.  Goldobin? Leivo? Please. All Dahlen and the Canucks management needed was patients. 

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Dahlen wouldn't have made any NHL team,  the Sharks new this that's why he was sent back to Sweden for 2 years.  You make it sound like the Canucks deprived him of an NHL spot when the fact is he simply wasn't ready for any NHL job.  Sadly, Dahlen was ok with the Sharks sending him down for seasoning, but just not the Canucks.  Sounds fair.  You're right, there are no guarantees but the alternative is what we got which was nothing.  You have to at least try to convince him to stay.  And lastly there was plenty of opportunity for Dahlen if he was ready.  2 years ago our top 6 was pretty sad.  Goldobin? Leivo? Please. All Dahlen and the Canucks management needed was patients. 

You kinda missed the memo Dahlen had no patients. Again I already said the canucks were basically calling up and giving anyone not named dahlen a chance in that top 6 that year. We had injuries and our top 6 was trash the call up were trash and he was still not given 1 game despite doing well in Utica. It's pretty obvious he's not a Green guy with 200ft and he knows it he'll never get a chance in the NHL with the Canucks as long as Green is the coach. He probably doesn't want to play in the Utica system either coz they are trying to groom him into a 200ft checker that he was never meant to be. 

You sound stupid trying to suggest oh EP is playing like crap coz we traded away his best friend. I guess EP is signing with the Sharks next so he can play with his buddy right? Or he will be demanding a trade to the Sharks next if he continues to struggle so he can rediscover his scoring touch playing along side dahlen? Lol EP definitely signed a 3 year bridge rather than a max long term so he can sulk we traded his buddy so he can make less on his next contract by struggling.