The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

the overall problem is Green's system not really the player imo.. green's system his breakout have players standing still waiting for the puck.. and once they have the puck since they ain't moving they are slow to accelerate and get closed down by the other player and forced to pass the puck to another guy standing around and same thing.. and then they end up just giving the puck up or dumping it away. they need to play closer to each other and skate rather than try these 50ft passes all over the ice to a guy standing still. if we play with speed we create a lot.. look at most of our goals that's not on the powerplay it's a rush with speed. Hughes is always doing these breakout past from in front of his goalie to the center line and then the guy gets mowed down coz he's not moving. they need to be able to move the defense by skating and moving.. but green's system have them very static.. look at PP.. the PKer against us don't really get tired even if they are out there for 2mins.. they are just standing still in a box formation coz we dont' move. pettersson is always on the right wing board.. chiasson is always on the left... like if they don't want to break formation.. they can at least rotate the formation on the powerplay to get the pk to move rather than just standing still blocking every shooting lane and the only way you getting a goal is if the cross ice pass works.. the system we are playing doesn't play to our strength.. it highlights our weakness.. and other team are just exploiting it

34 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

But didn't he sorta already prove it ? 2 years, 27,28 goals and 38,39 assists. We are so suspect of busts in this franchise.

No, I think people are just too quick nowadays to crown a new king. When you're new it's easier to shine, once the tapes out on you and you can still find a way...that's the money.

Edited by justathought

17 minutes ago, justathought said:

No, I think people are just too quick nowadays to crown a new king. When you're new it's easier to shine, once the tapes out on you and you can still find a way...that's the money.

In the next 3 years, even with a weak year thrown in there, if 2 are anything like his near 30 goal seasons, we will have to pay him 9-10 million+/8 years to keep him.

• Wat 1

On 10/30/2021 at 1:49 PM, kilgore said:Linden wasn't the most bulky guy either.  I think he'll fill out a little more in the coming years, but he'll always have that thinner frame. Its a handicap for sure. But the best players, like Gretzky, learn how to work around it.

6’3” 220 lbs wasn’t bulky? 

On 10/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, 2011 said:

I have some thoughts on Pettersson:

1. Is he playing with a longer stick?  Usually prefered for defensive advantages, longer sticks are harder to stick handle with and its common to lose the puck in your feet.  This looks like our current Petey.

2. Was his injured wrist a major setback?  I've heard he is 100% recovered, but it looks to me like his confidence is not at all there.  His faceoffs are in the mid 30's and he looks to prefer a pass when on the powerplay.  This does not appear to be 100% to me. 

Pettersson stated hes using a longer stick with a stiffer flex this year… not sure thats an excuse though. Maybe for me playing beer league. Not a guy making over 7 mil

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

On 10/31/2021 at 6:49 PM, justathought said:

Better then, when doubt is removed, than now.

Doubt of what ? A Nail Yakupov level bust ? Yak had an ok rookie season but didn't follow it up like Petey has. 

We should have got more term. In the eyes of the league , he already proved himself. And even if he's just ok for the next 3 years , we will have to pay big bucks to keep him. Bc someone else will just pay. 

• Wat 2

Well if you really take a look at who is the best player on this team it is Horvat.  Its remarkable he plays as well as he does. He has adapted to the whims of Green and his over coaching ways. On any other team he would always be on the top line. Horvat is a good soldier on a weak team and that it.

• Like 2

Pettersson's career is far from defined. These are the games and these are the main years which will decide how his career goes. He could easily just have his great Calder year and then disappear sadly. He could just as easily score 70-80 points this season still. Is he ever going to challenge for the Art Ross/MVP? Probably not, especially given the McDavid era. 

All we really need from him is some 60-90 points and not to completely suck defensively. He doesn't kill penalties and his faceoffs aren't that good. Honestly, he doesn't bring much to this team, nowhere near as much as Horvat, so if he can't even score then we're really in a pickle. These last few games he's been completely invisible and you really notice the lack of noticing him - he doesn't play physically, throw hits, defend superbly or kill penalties, so when he's scoring next to nothing, you almost don't notice him despite being on the ice for 20 minutes a night.

Sadly you live and die by your star players. If they're trash then you're never going to win a Cup with a weak core. Pettersson is a big part of our core, like it or not, and we're going to have to learn to live with him but when he's not scoring the way he hasn't been these last few games, it's no surprise we go on a losing streak. 

Would I have preferred to build the young core and team around a better center, such as McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel etc.? Of course, but you get what you've drafted and very rarely get to trade young top line centers unless it's a blockbuster which I don't see happening quite frankly.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

I thought his last game he had shown a commitment to providing offense in which he hadn't shown in games prior. I think that's the major thing. I don't think he can play like he did last game and be held off the scoresheet more times than not. 

But he definitely needs to continue to shoot more. I still think he will be fine. 

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Pettersson's career is far from defined. These are the games and these are the main years which will decide how his career goes. He could easily just have his great Calder year and then disappear sadly. He could just as easily score 70-80 points this season still. Is he ever going to challenge for the Art Ross/MVP? Probably not, especially given the McDavid era. 

All we really need from him is some 60-90 points and not to completely suck defensively. He doesn't kill penalties and his faceoffs aren't that good. Honestly, he doesn't bring much to this team, nowhere near as much as Horvat, so if he can't even score then we're really in a pickle. These last few games he's been completely invisible and you really notice the lack of noticing him - he doesn't play physically, throw hits, defend superbly or kill penalties, so when he's scoring next to nothing, you almost don't notice him despite being on the ice for 20 minutes a night.

Sadly you live and die by your star players. If they're trash then you're never going to win a Cup with a weak core. Pettersson is a big part of our core, like it or not, and we're going to have to learn to live with him but when he's not scoring the way he hasn't been these last few games, it's no surprise we go on a losing streak. 

Would I have preferred to build the young core and team around a better center, such as McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel etc.? Of course, but you get what you've drafted and very rarely get to trade young top line centers unless it's a blockbuster which I don't see happening quite frankly.

And the Horvats of the world wouldn't have matched Pavel Bure's record in a million years. We need players like Pettersson as much as we need players like Horvat. But some ppl want to fill the whole team with "2 way" players and draft "2 way" players all the time. Its so trendy to like these 2 way players.

I want to see some exciting one way offense that Petterson brings. We had it with Bure, Naslund and the Sedins.

If they're trash then you're never going to win a Cup with a weak core

:huh:

Petterson

His 18 playoff points are 8th best all-time. His four power play goals were also tied for second-best all-time, with Greg Adams ('92-93), Trevor Linden ('93-94), and Daniel Sedin ('10-11) tied for the record with five.

Naslund and Bertuzzi had playoff struggles. As did the Sedins at times. This has to be one of our first star players to kill it in the playoffs in his first chance

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/08/elias-petterssons-playoff-best-vancouver-canucks-history/

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

15 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Doubt of what ? A Nail Yakupov level bust ? Yak had an ok rookie season but didn't follow it up like Petey has. 

We should have got more term. In the eyes of the league , he already proved himself. And even if he's just ok for the next 3 years , we will have to pay big bucks to keep him. Bc someone else will just pay. 

Your a big Pettersson homer eh! If hes just ok he will not sign for more than he did now alot less infact… in what world are you living in? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Your a big Pettersson homer eh! If hes just ok he will not sign for more than he did now alot less infact… in what world are you living in? 

'Em no. Just because I'm not going along with lame cheapshot AHL jokes about one of our statistically best rookies ever , doesn't make me a Petterson homer.

• Wat 1

14 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

And the Horvats of the world wouldn't have matched Pavel Bure's record in a million years. We need players like Pettersson as much as we need players like Horvat. But some ppl want to fill the whole team with "2 way" players and draft "2 way" players all the time. Its so trendy to like these 2 way players.

I want to see some exciting one way offense that Petterson brings. We had it with Bure, Naslund and the Sedins.

Petterson

His 18 playoff points are 8th best all-time. His four power play goals were also tied for second-best all-time, with Greg Adams ('92-93), Trevor Linden ('93-94), and Daniel Sedin ('10-11) tied for the record with five.

Naslund and Bertuzzi had playoff struggles. As did the Sedins at times. This has to be one of our first star players to kill it in the playoffs in his first chance

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/09/08/elias-petterssons-playoff-best-vancouver-canucks-history/

The oneway offence is nonexistent with Green and Benning steering the ship. 

At least let Petey stay on the lefts side. 

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

'Em no. Just because I'm not going along with lame cheapshot AHL jokes about one of our statistically best rookies ever , doesn't make me a Petterson homer.

Living in the past bud, in case you missed it, Pettersson skipped training camp and most of preseason to demand more money, and hasn’t played like his rookie season since, in fact his stats are abysmal right now. So he deserves every bit of salt coming his way. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Youre putting Eichel in a category with Leon and Connor?  Yikes.

Ill take Petey over dramarama Eichs anyday

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

Living in the past bud, in case you missed it, Pettersson skipped training camp and most of preseason to demand more money, and hasn’t played like his rookie season since, in fact his stats are abysmal right now. So he deserves every bit of salt coming his way. 

That's also a bunch of twaddle. It's the reason why he's a bit rusty. 

Hes a Calder winner. 7 million over 3 years is as cheap as could have asked. It's no wonder he was holding out. 

These haters talk like we matched a 10 million over 7 offer sheet. Which he could have got. And we'd have to match 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:14 PM, MaxVerstappen33 said:

In the next 3 years, even with a weak year thrown in there, if 2 are anything like his near 30 goal seasons, we will have to pay him 9-10 million+/8 years to keep him.

Then trade him.   A near 30 goal scorer is not worth that type of money.   Even Stone who's one of the best defensive forwards in the league doesn't get that.   Or O'Reilly.   Flat cap.   Insanity.   EP isn't worth that money even at a PPG really, but will likely get it anyways.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Petterson

He's 27th all-time in playoff points ... behind (tied one less goal) then Mason freaking Raymond.   Yes we all were excited and we should be his first time out.   But Horvat was a better and more important player for us.   Are you talking about PGP?  Not sure where you get this 8th all-time ... and wow a pretty small sample size regardless. 

He's got as many points, as Henrik Sedin has game winning points lol... Let's wait and see before we crown the next champion.   

Edited by IBatch