The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dave Chappelle backlash

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Because the majority of political issues he supports are exactly what the current version of republicanism are railing against. "Cancel culture" is not a left wing ideology.

Just because conservatives co-opt certain movements, such as cancel culture, or freedom of speech, does not mean they are conservative in nature. Also, me stating that his message is vital for moving the pendulum back to the centre is not me stating what his message is within his specials, as I highlighted in the paragraph below what his message is, and it wasn't about moving the pendulum.

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Disagree. His latest special, which closes the Netflix narrative he created and delivered throughout his specials, is a gdamn masterpiece in comedy and social commentary. Maybe you're not fully aware of what he's critiquing and it doesn't interest you, but for those who are, his message is not only hilarious but also, and more importantly, critical in helping swing the pendulum back towards the centre. 

His message is about how divisive our society is at the moment, and that we need to somehow get to the point where we can make fun of each other and all laugh together, all while lifting each other up in society rather than hypocritically focusing on our own plights at the expense at others. His specials are profound and important, and no one else is able to do what he does, so if he doesn't do it, who will?

Have you not paid attention to his prior specials where he also said this? 

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Have you not paid attention to his prior specials where he also said this? 

Also said what? I'm not sure what you're meaning here. Have I not watched his other specials where he also said "how divisive our society is at the moment, and that we need to somehow get to the point where we can make fun of each other and all laugh together, all while lifting each other up in society rather than hypocritically focusing on our own plights at the expense at others." ?

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally. The right to express oneself. I'm glad to see them doing so.

I see your point. Others have walked away or quit to avoid backlash, Winston Marshall being a prime example, but Dave is weathering the storm coming his way, brushing it off his shoulder like a boss. I do think he approached the subject matter quite well, and showed that he has empathy and compassion, which has helped. 

How would you know, other than believing my words, right? That takes some faith on your part.

Possibly. I think people began to feel a lot of pressure from people threatening to boycott things. It will diminish for sure, and then it'll raise it's ugly head again somewhere down the line. 

what Dave did at the end of the show that i thought was really interesting is he talked about finding common ground with someone, so in his case comedy, while still admitting to his trans-phobia. So he put himself out there to be skewered, and the calls to cancel him are taking up most of the oxygen but there's a pretty good lesson there imo, focus on what's common with someone vs. whats not.

The other part that was interesting was talking about not "punching down". That moral high ground cancel people take actually can be harmful, and can dehumanize people as well. Its hard tho for younger people in particular who want to be supportive of marginalized groups, but it can obviously go too far. We see it all the time up here when non-first nations groups take over a discussion and then nothing happens as a result.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

what Dave did at the end of the show that i thought was really interesting is he talked about finding common ground with someone, so in his case comedy, while still admitting to his trans-phobia. So he put himself out there to be skewered, and the calls to cancel him are taking up most of the oxygen but there's a pretty good lesson there imo, focus on what's common with someone vs. whats not.

The other part that was interesting was talking about not "punching down". That moral high ground cancel people take actually can be harmful, and can dehumanize people as well. Its hard tho for younger people in particular who want to be supportive of marginalized groups, but it can obviously go too far. We see it all the time up here when non-first nations groups take over a discussion and then nothing happens as a result.

I really don’t know who this guy was until this thread.  I watched him on some YouTube videos, and he’s funny as hell!  Really like his humour.  If others don’t like it, they don’t have to listen.  God!  How would some people react to “Archie Bunker” today? It’s comedy, which can be intentionally politically incorrect, while delivering an important message. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I really don’t know who this guy was until this thread.  I watched him on some YouTube videos, and he’s funny as hell!  Really like his humour.  If others don’t like it, they don’t have to listen.  God!  How would some people react to “Archie Bunker” today? It’s comedy, which can be intentionally politically incorrect, while delivering an important message. 

exactly. I don't agree at all with Dave's take on trans people, but I don't care, he has his right to his opinion, and he's got the cajones to put himself out there to promote a discussion on it.

I do think he's going to put a dent in the current version of social media cancel culture, which is really needed. As a card-carrying Liberal i can't stand it, it goes against so many things i believe in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

exactly. I don't agree at all with Dave's take on trans people, but I don't care, he has his right to his opinion, and he's got the cajones to put himself out there to promote a discussion on it.

I do think he's going to put a dent in the current version of social media cancel culture, which is really needed. As a card-carrying Liberal i can't stand it, it goes against so many things i believe in.

He seems like a really smart person, who is combining his comedy with making commentary on our current society.  He’s a lot like Carlin in that way.  Different material, but a similar approach.  And so funny!  :lol:

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Also said what? I'm not sure what you're meaning here. Have I not watched his other specials where he also said "how divisive our society is at the moment, and that we need to somehow get to the point where we can make fun of each other and all laugh together, all while lifting each other up in society rather than hypocritically focusing on our own plights at the expense at others." ?

He has talked about Daphne before. He has talked about cancel culture before. He has talked about divisiveness before. So much of his special was based on slightly adding to themes he has discussed in the past, which is why I was so unenthused. For exampled, he talked about divisiveness when it came to the #metoo movement. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

He has talked about Daphne before. He has talked about cancel culture before. He has talked about divisiveness before. So much of his special was based on slightly adding to themes he has discussed in the past, which is why I was so unenthused. For exampled, he talked about divisiveness when it came to the #metoo movement. 

Ah, sorry, I thought you were the other poster responding to me.

So you want something completely different every show rather than an overarching narrative? That's fine for you, but I quite enjoy his lengthy critique on such an important issue in society, especially considering he makes it so funny and powerful with each special, but I hardly think calling people rubes for enjoying something that you don't is warranted. I digress.

10 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Ah, sorry, I thought you were the other poster responding to me.

So you want something completely different every show rather than an overarching narrative? That's fine for you, but I quite enjoy his lengthy critique on such an important issue in society, especially considering he makes it so funny and powerful with each special, but I hardly think calling people rubes for enjoying something that you don't is warranted. I digress.

I'm not saying they're rubes for enjoying something I don't. I'm say people are rubes for thinking that this recent special presented new, insightful information that people were previously unaware of. 

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

He seems like a really smart person, who is combining his comedy with making commentary on our current society.  He’s a lot like Carlin in that way.  Different material, but a similar approach.  And so funny!  :lol:

pretty good comparison actually

26 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I'm not saying they're rubes for enjoying something I don't. I'm say people are rubes for thinking that this recent special presented new, insightful information that people were previously unaware of. 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:56 PM, Down by the River said:

Dave Chappelle's most recent special was &^@#ing awful. Re-hashed jokes, grandstanding, laughing at his own jokes, slapping the mic against his knee... he probably had 10 minutes of new material in the whole thing. You're a rube if you thought it was funny and you're exhausting if you want him canceled because of what he said.

If people spent less time getting offended by what he said we could have the time to dissect how bad his set was. The guy left 50 million on the table so that he could go to Africa and do nothing.... now he's taken 50 million from Netflix to go on stage and do nothing. 

Chappelle is an incredible comedian. One of the greats. But his special sucked. Not because it was offensive. Because it was lazy. 

Also, I don't think anyone has stated that the last special presented entirely new material; it's related material, as his specials have an consistent overarching narrative throughout. Each special is not in a vacuum but should be watched and understood as a whole, lengthy piece. I spoke with a friend about the final special, and they haven't seen any of the previous ones. I, of course, recommended they watch all of them first before the final one, for exactly the reason I'm stating. 

Personally, I think it's even more impressive that he's able to create such a lengthy piece across multiple specials on such an important issue of our time, yet still keeping it fresh and funny at the same time. You might think I'm a rube for thinking it's fresh and funny, but I think it's possible you have some sort of bias or chip on your shoulder that's preventing you from appreciating the masterful storytelling with his comedy. 

15 hours ago, JM_ said:

How is Dave transphobic? Because he believes that gender is a fact? I truly fail to see how that's a transphobic attitude. I believe gender is a fact as well, and have no issue, moral or otherwise, with people who are trans, yet according to many I'd be transphobic as well.

Funny how that is. You either give complete compliance to a belief or you have a phobia. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that. Is that the moral high ground you're referring to?

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

I encourage every one to watch Blazing Saddles, then get back to me if they are still "offended" by Dave Chapelle.

It is like some people went to a Don Rickles concert then got upset that Don said mean things about them.

Probably one of the greatest comedies ever created. My sons have seen that masterpiece, and all the Naked Guns, Airplanes, and other classics. They love them.

I remember a few years back, it was playing at a theater in Arizona, and people were actually protesting it. I think some folks just live to complain and demand.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Probably one of the greatest comedies ever created. My sons have seen that masterpiece, and all the Naked Guns, Airplanes, and other classics. They love them.

I remember a few years back, it was playing at a theater in Arizona, and people were actually protesting it. I think some folks just live to complain and demand.

Funny thing is a poster above mentioned he did not like Chapelle's "Jews in Space" bit, which I've never heard or seen; yet I vividly remember Mel's "Jews in Space" song with the flying jewish crosses, nice song for that bit as well.

5rfjdy.jpg

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How is Dave transphobic? Because he believes that gender is a fact? I truly fail to see how that's a transphobic attitude. I believe gender is a fact as well, and have no issue, moral or otherwise, with people who are trans, yet according to many I'd be transphobic as well.

Funny how that is. You either give complete compliance to a belief or you have a phobia. Sorry, I don't subscribe to that. Is that the moral high ground you're referring to?

because Dave literally says he's transphobic. He describes himself that way.