The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Blackhawks - Oct 21st, 2021, 5:30pm PST

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If in fact Podkolzin isn't playing tonight, it would be really interesting to find out why. Doesn't make much sense from any perspective that I can think of, other than a potential injury to Vasili.

I have to wonder if he is taking out Vasili because he is the only player currently in the forward group that doesn't play a special teams position. 

Taking him out in favor of Chiasson is to plug Chiasson back onto the PP, while the slew of Dowling, Lammikko, Highmore play PP or PK of some sort.

That is my guess....definitely don't agree with it though. 

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Podzilla said:

So he whines his players didn’t hit enough last game and he scratches Podz?

How is anyone still defending this guy? Podz should be net presence on pp 1.

It's not like he played Hughes like a rented mule - which most likely contributed to his injury either. :mellow:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I have to wonder if he is taking out Vasili because he is the only player currently in the forward group that doesn't play a special teams position. 

Taking him out in favor of Chiasson is to plug Chiasson back onto the PP, while the slew of Dowling, Lammikko, Highmore play PP or PK of some sort.

Giving plugs opportunity over players who possess some skill is never a good plan. We'll have to see how the lines play out. 

• Cheers 1

I really want to see our PK get better and, by better, I mean change the damn system. We have rotated a number of players through PK duties over the past couple of years and nothing changes so I don't believe it is a personnel issue.

I can imagine Baumer talking to the new guys during training camp trying to indoctrinate them into the Canucks system of PKing.

New Guys: So how are we going to defend zone entry?

Baumer: No need to address that as we almost never get the puck out of our own zone. Next question.

New Guys: Are we going to be aggressive in limiting shots from the point, down low or slot?

Baumer: I would have thought players of your experience would already know the answer to that question. We do not try to take away shots from anywhere on the ice except for one spot. Why the hell do you think we have a goalie?

New Guys: One spot?

Baumer: Glad you asked. There is a 4 sq. ft. area about 15 feet out directly in front of our goal called the slot. My analysis says that is the most dangerous area to allow shots so I have devised our PK plans to take that option away. We do that by always having one player stand in that 4 sq. ft. area....pretty simple, eh? A side benefit is that player won't get tired and can virtually kill the entire 2 minutes while shots ate being fired from everywhere else on the ice.

New Guys: Entire 2 minutes? Don't you mean "until they score"?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Qwags said:

Can we get some preemptive shutout magic to be safe? ;)

That'll just jinx Demko but I can leave you in charge just for tonight. Will you, Qwags, take the honour of using my magic tonight if needed?

• Huggy Bear 1

Seeing Hunt potentially back in the lineup is already hurting me. Please Hughes, take care of yourself but get better sooner.

I felt Podz was one of our better forwards I hope they don't draw him out but he seems to be stuck in the scratch group per Drance... Green is puzzling as a coach.

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Or he could try Podkolzin on the PP since he has actually been far more creative and efficient with his passing than any forward they have used there. EP and Miller have been terrible moving the puck efficiently.

• Cheers 2