The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks @ Blackhawks - Oct 21st, 2021, 5:30pm PST

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, kilgore said:

So who knows who'll come out on top tonight?!!

The Fire Green club,

or the Where's all the Green haters now club?

Until Canucks are a consistent team and a much less predictable team I’ll be on the fire Green train. 

• Cheers 2

I’m hedging the team will play a better game tonight. Even without Hughes they should play a strong possession game. They may even pull off a 4-2 win. 

The season started off great - exciting hockey. The team has shown they can play that way and compete. Only 1 out of 4 games so far has been a dud, but elements within each of those games still persist which dog this team past and present, and lead to runs of poor performance.

If we don’t win this game tonight, or at least show an exceptional performance against a similarity struggling CHI team, then imho Green has not, or does not, have this team prepared OR his message is not getting though. 

Either way, I really hope we can kick the living crap out of CHI tonight, and not relent on it. I want to see a killer instinct out of this team for once under Green. Prove that they hate losing. Take it out on someone. Enough talk. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’m hedging the team will play a better game tonight. Even without Hughes they should play a strong possession game. They may even pull off a 4-2 win. 

The season started off great - exciting hockey. The team has shown they can play that way and compete. Only 1 out of 4 games so far has been a dud, but elements within each of those games still persist which dog this team past and present, and lead to runs of poor performance.

If we don’t win this game tonight, or at least show an exceptional performance against a similarity struggling CHI team, then imho Green has not, or does not, have this team prepared OR his message is not getting though. 

Either way, I really hope we can kick the living crap out of CHI tonight, and not relent on it. I want to see a killer instinct out of this team for once under Green. Prove that they hate losing. Take it out on someone. Enough talk. 

Yep time to put up or shut up.

40 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Podz was far from the issue on Tuesday. Why the hell is he out of the lineup ? 

Because it is easier to pull out a rookie than a vet.  He did it with Burroughs as well even though he was playing well.  Change simply for the sake of change, no logic behind it.  He'll put Chiasson on the PP and it will have minimal effect, meanwhile Chiasson is pretty much useless playing in the bottom 6.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Because it is easier to pull out a rookie than a vet.  He did it with Burroughs as well even though he was playing well.  Change simply for the sake of change, no logic behind it.  He'll put Chiasson on the PP and it will have minimal effect, meanwhile Chiasson is pretty much useless playing in the bottom 6.

If Green really wants to send a message he would sit a vet and give a young player like Podz an opportunity. 

The 100% safety of the vets in any situation no matter how they play has long been a Canucks issue that holds them back.

I would sit Miller or Pearson for a game over Podkolzin tbh. If EP doesn’t start giving a $&!# he would make that list too. 

Why Podkolzin hasn’t been tried on our garbage pp is beyond my ability to understand.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Green is becoming desperate already.  He needs this Win badly, otherwise he could be heading home 1-4-1, and that won't sit well with Benning and the owners. He needs this Win, so he's going to rely on the veterans to bail him out.  Other than that shootout win in Philly (could've gone either way), the Canucks haven't won yet this year. He needs this. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Maybe eventually he has to go. But I think this is way too early to fire a coach. 

Looks bad on the team for firing a coach that early into the season. Reeks of instability and dysfunction. 

GMs last an average of about 5.5 years in their job
JB became general manager on May 23, 2014.
his sell-by date is stale by +2 years

NHL head coaches average tenure is currently 2.4 years.
Green became head coach On April 26, 2017.
his sell by date is stale by +2.1 years

No stats for the average tenure of an assistant coach
Baumgartner was hired on June 7, 2017
?

Average NHL player plays on average 4.5 years
Canucks signed Pettersson On 25 May 2018
we likely have him for only another 1 year 

Canucks finished dead last of all the Canadian teams in 2021
US teams have won every Stanley Cup since 1993
analysis says we therefor sit bottom of the whole pile.

11 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

GMs last an average of about 5.5 years in their job
JB became general manager on May 23, 2014.
his sell-by date is stale by +2 years

NHL head coaches average tenure is currently 2.4 years.
Green became head coach On April 26, 2017.
his sell by date is stale by +2.1 years

No stats for the average tenure of an assistant coach
Baumgartner was hired on June 7, 2017
?

Average NHL player plays on average 4.5 years
Canucks signed Pettersson On 25 May 2018
we likely have him for only another 1 year 

Canucks finished dead last of all the Canadian teams in 2021
US teams have won every Stanley Cup since 1993
analysis says we therefor sit bottom of the whole pile.

I'm not sure if you are joking or being serious...

22 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Not sure what to think about tonight. Canucks need to rebound & Chicago needs to show some signs of life.

I just want to see a good effort & have our best players to be our best players.

Thatcher has been playing really well. I'm not worried about the goalie at all. 

I'm more worried about the forwards. The defense actually hasn't been too bad. Hunt hopefully has a decent game tonight, assuming he's in. 

If the forwards can help cover the defense a bit, we'll have a good chance at winning tonight. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Green is becoming desperate already.  He needs this Win badly, otherwise he could be heading home 1-4-1, and that won't sit well with Benning and the owners. He needs this Win, so he's going to rely on the veterans to bail him out.  Other than that shootout win in Philly (could've gone either way), the Canucks haven't won yet this year. He needs this. 

Yeah. 1-4-1 looks bad to start the year, but it's not an impossible climb out. Of course rather come home from the road trip, at worse 50 percent. 

that homestand will be critical. Need to win some games, and it starts tonight. If not, there will be mounting pressure for the Saturday game. 

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Green really wants to send a message he would sit a vet and give a young player like Podz an opportunity. 

The 100% safety of the vets in any situation no matter how they play has long been a Canucks issue that holds them back.

I would sit Miller or Pearson for a game over Podkolzin tbh. If EP doesn’t start giving a $&!# he would make that list too. 

Why Podkolzin hasn’t been tried on our garbage pp is beyond my ability to understand.

Coaches will always lean on veterans, because they have "more experience" even if those veterans are terrible - like the last batch of "veterans" we had in Ericksson, Beagle, etc. Experience doesn't always translate onto the ice, it helps yes, of course, but sometimes you need young players who are hungry to make a mark on the team, and in the league. What veterans have in experience, they often lack in hunger - the drive to "want it" that younger players tend to have. 

I'd rather have youth in their hungry, rather than veterans who sit on their heels, knowing that they've "made it" already. 

Of course you have outliers like Virtanen, who were immature and well, seemed to be full of himself. Players like that, even if they're drafted high, don't usually last in the league. The NHL is the toughest league in the world for a reason. Coming into the league, can really humble any player, unless you're McDavid :P

3 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Does anyone know how long Burroughs could be out for?? He's been solid... basically a quicker Schenn!

Still no update on Motte yet eh?? We really need him back so one of Dowling/Lammikko can take a seat in the 

Edited by AbrasiveAjax

3 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Does anyone know what time it is right now?

LOL... welcome back troll!!

All I know is for you is, watch out for covid monster up there!! it's eating up ppl alive! 

Nahhh forget it... you sure sound like one of those who think covid is just a flu, vaxx is to control ppl's minds....  go party as usual Son!! 

Edited by RakuRaku

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

OEL has been awesome. Don't get me wrong. As has Poolman. Those two were savvy acquistions on Benning's part.

Myers and OEL is a solid pairing. Hughes was looking scary out there too. Hamonic's absence is completely out of anyone's control. I'd like to think he'd have an equally positive impact.

I think what I'm seeing that's eerily familiar is how their being coached. I hope Shaw gets involved and shows BumG that there's more than one way to protect the zone, move the puck, and clear the crease. In the neutral zone and supporting the offense, they've been better. 

PP and PK have sucked and if it's the coaches telling them to not move around then it's on the coaches.

The Sabres game was not good, no way to sugarcoat that abomination but the first 3 games even without Hamonic I thought the D looked better than any point last season.

I would be surprised if we played  3 games in a row  last season in which we outshot and  outplayed the opposition. 

• Vintage 1