The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Seattle Kraken | Oct. 23, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

You say "disinterested" but that's not my take at all.  He's tentative and trying to figure it out.  Nonchalant is just his demeanour.

Maybe that’s the problem?

Of course it’s not your take. That doesn’t mean it’s not true. He is definitely tentative. But he also isn’t engaging to battle for pucks or to do all the little things he did well previously.

Sorry to say but he looks like he got his big contract and now doesn’t have to earn it. I love the kid but it’s not just timing it’s compete that he is missing.

5 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Francis was emphasizing cap space as a priority prior to the ED and so far, Haxtall has that team playing hard with good structure to still be competitive.  Also, with Grubauer they will have a chance to compete.

There are some top end players at the top of the next few drafts and good chance, Francis will hope to be a winner of the lottery draft, so he can acquire his building blocks.

Which is why him drafting a defenseman who can't play defense is so baffling.  Blues had other players that didn't come with a contract as bad as Dunn's.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Which is why him drafting a defenseman who can't play defense is so baffling.  Blues had other players that didn't come with a contract as bad as Dunn's.

I agree cause some of his picks seemed like there were already some back room deals in placed.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How good is that OEL & Garland trade looking right now?

Depends on what the Yotes will do with the cap space and the players they will pick with picks they acquired - so far, they are one of the ever rebuilding pet projects of Bettman.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

9 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I haven’t noticed a bad game yet from OEL.

What happened to overpaid horrible defencemen I thought we were getting lol

I was a notorious non fan of getting OEL. He has pleasantly surprised me with his play. It’s nice to see him playing with that mojo that made him so good 4 or 5 years ago. Can’t say I blame him but he was the slump shouldered, non engaged guy the last few years in Arizona. 

I honestly think he needs to be on PP1 with Hughes, Horvat, Boeser, and EP. PP 1 plays most of the PP anyway and he has a nasty good habit of getting good shots through. Another shooting option not in a one timer spot might help PP1 be a little tougher to defend against.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Dunn's their one smaller defenseman, and he's an absolute pylon.  The guy is almost as bad as Rielly and Barrie in his own zone, and Seattle voluntarily picked him over useful players.

Dunn is an offense oriented Dman. You need guys like that too. He drives play from the blue line. Not every forward plays with defence in mind, not every Dman plays stay at home or two way.

He’s a great grab by SEA, imho, especially considering who else they have rounding out their D corps. Gio and Dunn, and to a degree Larsson, are expected to provide the majority of the offense from the backend. They have other able bodied D to play the shutdown role or two way. 

• Cheers 1

Garland.

image.gif.606356b06d1e6a16339d1500aad987cf.gif

And he’s OURS.

Detroit stole a game from us, so I’m fine stealing one tonight. Let’s put together a nice home stand now, get EP up and running, and things might just start to look, as Willy D would say, REAL GUD.

And LOL at the trade Rathbone nonsense. The Negativity Peddler’s need something to latch onto after a winning road trip I guess. Guys…your boy OJ’s gone and he ain’t coming back.

• Cheers 3

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Depends on what the Yotes will do with the cap space and the players they will pick with picks they acquired - to start another rebuild.

Oh sure, good luck to them.

We weren't doing anything with the players we sent over. Albatrosses. 

Great trade. We needed the type of players we got in return, now. And they are fitting the bill in spades. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

You are not alone. I kind even stream on my computer due to lag, much better on my phone with the only difference being an app on my phone.  Usually I just watch it on TV but waiting for a new one, feel bad for whoever pays just stream if others are having issues as well

6 minutes ago, AV's Coin said:

mines been working good... but preseason was horrendous. Its like they had throttled back the bandwidth for preseason.

I really don't like how they've changed the app. (Tech companies always do this.. <_<)

Atleast before I could switch to super bad resolution so the play wouldn't constantly freeze, now it's just High/Med/Low & 'Low' (which looks good) still freezes.

Hopefully it gets better over time. So far hate the update. It sucks when you have to turn to streams when u have a legit service.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

With most players, sure.

But he's got the goods to be a game breaker and you have to allow a little more time/patience with your top players.  He missed camp and is a step behind and not feeling it yet.  Hard nosed isn't always a great motivator....for floaters/lazy Jakes, sure.  But this guy's shown his dedication to being his best and will work hard to get there so you let him do that.  I mean, the ultimate goal is to get him going and that won't happen if he sits (some more).  He needs to play.

Season 9 Idk GIF by The Office

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Dunn is an offense oriented Dman. You need guys like that too. He drives play from the blue line. Not every forward plays with defence in mind, not every Dman plays stay at home or two way.

He’s a great grab by SEA, imho, especially considering who else they have rounding out their D corps. Gio and Dunn, and to a degree Larsson, are expected to provide the majority of the offense from the backend. They have other able bodied D to play the shutdown role or two way. 

You still have to be able to at least play somewhat ok in your own zone.  I might be old school here,  but I don't think there's any place in an NHL lineup for a defenseman who can't play defence.  Dunn's body of defensive play isn't acceptable, and I'm thrilled that he's in our division.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Honestly, how good would Larsen look on our D at 4 mil?

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe that’s the problem?

Of course it’s not your take. That doesn’t mean it’s not true. He is definitely tentative. But he also isn’t engaging to battle for pucks or to do all the little things he did well previously.

Sorry to say but he looks like he got his big contract and now doesn’t have to earn it. I love the kid but it’s not just timing it’s compete that he is missing.

Again...your take on what he's feeling.  Opinion, that's all we both have here.  Your observation doesn't give you insight into "why".

Have you ever struggled at something?  Sometimes it makes you unfocused, distracted...again, overthink things.  He's human.  Some frustration's obviously setting in but I expect him to work it out.  Time will tell I guess.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh sure, good luck to them.

We weren't doing anything with the players we sent over. Albatrosses. 

Great trade. We needed the type of players we got in return, now. And they are fitting the bill in spades. 

Yeah, JB & crew chose to run with this core and the addition of both have not hurt the team.  The Canucks are trying to compete now, whereas  the Yotes are doing a quick rebuild, hoping to compete with a new core in the near future. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1