The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Home Opener! Minnesota Wild @ Vancouver Canucks | Tuesday, October 26th, 2021 @ 7:00pm PDT | Sportsnet One, SN650

Rate this topic

goalie13

8 minutes ago, tas said:

florida is at like 30 years now aren't they?

Their 4 home games this season have averaged 13,108 in attendance, 25th in the league (with 4 teams yet to play a home game).  They are a decent draw on the road, though..... 2 games with an average crowd of 18,014, 3rd best in the league

11 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Prolly 'cos Dowling takes faceoffs.  In fact, his 57.1% winning % is best on the team with Bo the only other center over 50% (at 54.7%)

Ah, I can almost hear you saying.  Small sample, just 14 faceoffs taken

Yes,  but 10 of the 14 were second unit powerplay, and that's second only to Horvat's 31 on PP faceoffs, but Bo averages 4.14 mins PP per game, Dowling 1.2 mins

That's why Dowling plays on the 2nd Powerplay and Podkolzin doesn't.  Reporters don't need to ask - they access the same statistics as I did

So why not take one of the 3 centers off the 1st unit?

• Vintage 1

Pretty happy to see that both Motte and Hamonic are close to returning. For one thing it should help the PK significantly. The team always seems to play better with Motte's energy in the lineup, and Hamonic being back should allow us to distribute our Dmen's ice time more evenly. All due respect to Burr, who's done well for himself and should definitely be retained as our 7th.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller is 0 for 3 in PP faceoffs and Petey 1 for 2, and Horvat is obviously that 1st unit faceoff guy

I don't understand Miller this season. - he was so dominant in the bubble year.  In 6 games to date, though, he is 0 for 3 in PP and 1 in 13 for PK faceoffs.  Even strength, though, he is 60.3%, easily our best

He'll come around though - just a matter of time

(Which is a long answer to the point you raised about moving a center from 1st to 2nd unit. - Miller would be the obvious one)

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yes!

Garland, Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes on PP1

Miller, Hoglander, Pearson, Chaisson, OEL on PP2 (if Chaisson is scratched, use Podz or maybe even go with 2D and add Rathbone.).

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Their 4 home games this season have averaged 13,108 in attendance, 25th in the league (with 4 teams yet to play a home game).  They are a decent draw on the road, though..... 2 games with an average crowd of 18,014, 3rd best in the league

that's pretty ugly, but what did the numbers look like during the 90% of their existence that you'd call "the lean years"?

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Miller is 0 for 3 in PP faceoffs and Petey 1 for 2, and Horvat is obviously that 1st unit faceoff guy

I don't understand Miller this season. - he was so dominant in the bubble year.  In 6 games to date, though, he is 0 for 3 in PP and 1 in 13 for PK faceoffs.  Even strength, though, he is 60.3%, easily our best

(Which is a long answer to the point you raised about moving a center from 1st to 2nd unit. - Miller would be the obvious one)

Miller should be on the 2nd unit for more than just faceoff reasons. I would even not mind seeing Podkolzin tried on the 1st unit. He is pretty creative offensively and makes crisp, accurate, and creative passes. I mean, could it be so bad it’s not worth a try?

9 minutes ago, Googlie said:

home ice advantage. the visiting center is inherently at a disadvantage. let's see what the team's faceoff numbers look like after the homestand before we judge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yes!

Miller, Hoglander, Pearson, Chaisson, OEL on PP2 (if Chaisson is scratched, use Podz or maybe even go with 2D and add Rathbone.).

This exactly!!! Minus the PTO guy, he can go on waivers once Motte or Hamonic return. Then in practice start using Schenn as a F to lay big hits in the O zone...is what I would do

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yes!

That's a little bit too much twirling on PP1 for my liking.  I'd like to see 

PP1: Garland, Horvat, Pearson, Boeser, OEL 

PP2: Miller, Pettersson, Hoglander, Chiasson, Hughes 

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Miller should be on the 2nd unit for more than just faceoff reasons. I would even not mind seeing Podkolzin tried on the 1st unit. He is pretty creative offensively and makes crisp, accurate, and creative passes. I mean, could it be so bad it’s not worth a try?

Podkolzin hasn't done anything creative offensively yet to warrant such a description.  

He's been good at winning pucks and throwing passes back to the point for shots.  I don't see the logic in throwing a rookie that hasn't played power play in the KHL onto our power play. 

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I'm just watching the sky actively fall in Toronto :rolleyes:

These days are great time to be a Canucks fan.

Chicago's imploding as well.  

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

Podkolzin hasn't done anything creative offensively yet to warrant such a description.  

He's been good at winning pucks and throwing passes back to the point for shots.  I don't see the logic in throwing a rookie that hasn't played power play in the KHL onto our power play. 

2 reasons:

Why not try something outside the box with a guy other teams don’t have the book on yet. It worked pretty good with Petey and Hughes a few years ago.

Our power play has been static garbage. What do we really have to lose? Maybe he gets some points and gets things going. Nothing else they have tried has.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is a disadvantage and then there is pathetic results. Come on man, those numbers are pathetic.

They're certainly bad, but there has to be a possible reason that they're this bad, especially considering how much they differ from how good he normally is in the circle. The OP just provided a possible reason.

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

2 reasons:

Why not try something outside the box with a guy other teams don’t have the book on yet. It worked pretty good with Petey and Hughes a few years ago.

Our power play has been static garbage. What do we really have to lose? Maybe he gets some points and gets things going. Nothing else they have tried has.

Yeah I haven't liked our power play at all, no argument there.  

I'd like to see Garland and OEL moved up to PP1.  Maybe it's not fair to take Hughes off PP1 as he has looked good the last two games however OEL just seems more direct to me.  

I'd prefer to take either Miller or Petey from PP1 and instead of them getting the puck touches, let's see what Garland can do with the puck.  

Yeah our power play needs a shake up.  

51 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Tomorrow's my 30th birthday and I'm going to the game with two of my best pals! SO STOKED!

Gonna try and make it down in time to watch the warmups which I've never been able to do before (of course my new job is sending me on site visits tomorrow but I should be able to leave work early).

I will start one chant (Go Canucks Go or otherwise) from the Larscheiders fan section for every upvote this gets. Mods you should probably pin this post :P

I wanna hear the Myers chant!  

Tyyyy-leeer Myyy-erss 

2 x slow clap, 3 x fast clap