The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks Vs Flyers - Oct 28th, 2021, 7:00pm PST

Rate this topic

therodigy

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That’s exactly how it feels. He seems to think Highmore will be his Burrows. Except Burrows had exceptional hockey sense and got the most out of his talent consistently.

Did you ever consider that Green might be sending a message to his top lines that their effort was not acceptable? HHOF coach, Punch Imlach, would occasionally throw 5 D-Men out on the PP to show his displeasure with his regular PP group.....he was sending a message. Are you sure Green is not doing the same?

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Apparently not.

Seems they're cherry picking stats from a small sample to make a case, even then I don't think they actually say Canucks are the worst team 5v5.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Did you ever consider that Green might be sending a message to his top lines that their effort was not acceptable? HHOF coach, Punch Imlach, would occasionally throw 5 D-Men out on the PP to show his displeasure with his regular PP group.....he was sending a message. Are you sure Green is not doing the same?

Maybe. Still an interesting choice of player to send the message with.

So the message is skate fast, don’t hit, don’t score, and don’t generate anything offensively and you will get your prime roles back?

Ya, solid message to send.

If he wants to send an actual message, play guys more who might have a realistic chance of supplanting a vet long term. Podkolzin, Hoglander, even Bailey. Not a guy who realistically should be in the press box once Motte comes back.

If Green is sending a message it’s the wrong one.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Maybe. Still an interesting choice of player to send the message with.

Do the message is skate fast, don’t hit, don’t score, and don’t generate anything offensively and you will get your prime roles back?

Ya, solid message to send.

If he wants to send an actual message, play guys more who might have a realistic chance of supplanting a vet long term. Podkolzin, Hoglander, even Bailey. Not a guy who realistically should be in the press box once Motte comes back.

If Green is sending a message it’s the wrong one.

I think you may be missing the point of sending the message. Highmore's line played with more energy and effort than any other line and they were being rewarded for that, and nothing more. The message to the rest of them was "you guys with the superior skills better put in the same kind of effort if you expect to  get the ice time you want". Again, Imlach never sent out 5 D-Men on the PP because it gave them a better chance to score....it was a message to the rest of the team.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I think you may be missing the point of sending the message. Highmore's line played with more energy and effort than any other line and they were being rewarded for that, and nothing more. The message to the rest of them was "you guys with the superior skills better put in the same kind of effort if you expect to  get the ice time you want". Again, Imlach never sent out 5 D-Men on the PP because it gave them a better chance to score....it was a message to the rest of the team.

And I think you might be missing my point.

Losing a game to make a point is the last, desperate swirl of a coach down the bowl.

For a guy who uses “it’s not a development league, it’s a results league” so often as justification for benching a young guy, he sure struggles pointing that high powered cliche at himself, doesn’t he?

2 hours ago, mll said:

Hart was named 3rd star of the game. 

And if you watched it the guy let in two trash goals lol. 

We act as if guys like Cheech never make wild picks for stars of the game lol. 

Edit: arguably 3 bad goals. All 3 went right through him (1 went above him but a beer league goalie could have made the save). 

Edited by MikeyD
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

And I think you might be missing my point.

Losing a game to make a point is the last, desperate swirl of a coach down the bowl.

For a guy who uses “it’s not a development league, it’s a results league” so often as justification for benching a young guy, he sure struggles pointing that high powered cliche at himself, doesn’t he?

So you would never bench your top scorer/point getter no matter how bad he is playing because you might lose the game? Don't you think that is kind of shortsighted?

• Cheers 2

REFEREES

Ian Walsh #29
IW29.jpg
Dan O’Rourke #9
DO09.jpg
Games ’21-22 5 4
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 48 / 7 49 / 13
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1209 / 30 1200 / 148
First NHL Game 10/14/00 10/2/99
Birthplace Philadelphia, PA Calgary, AB

LINESMEN

Travis Toomey #90
TT90.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’21-22 6 7
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 52 / 0 51 / 12
Career Games (Reg/PO) 50 / 0 546 / 34
First NHL Game 10/3/19 1/21/13
Birthplace Leduc, AB Cloverdale, BC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fan since 82 said:

Pretty pathetic. Why even bother with that attitude? Man some in this fanbase can be so toxic!

I want to see them get it together! I want to see the stars start to score! I want to see this team succeed!

You should find a new team to troll.

You misunderstood me.  The only reason I want them lose is for green to get fired.   Nothing to do with the team.  I love these players.  I’m even a fan of benning.  I think he’s done a great job here.  

I just loathe green. So yes, call me a troll for hating green.  I accept that.  I want change.  We will never get change with green running this team.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

And if you watched it the guy let in two trash goals lol. 

We act as if guys like Cheech never make wild picks for stars of the game lol. 

Oilers media guys always name the visiting goalie a Star in games where the Oilers lose. They believe that a goalie standing on his head is the only way they can lose.....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Ian Walsh #29
IW29.jpg
Dan O’Rourke #9
DO09.jpg
Games ’21-22 5 4
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 48 / 7 49 / 13
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1209 / 30 1200 / 148
First NHL Game 10/14/00 10/2/99
Birthplace Philadelphia, PA Calgary, AB

LINESMEN

Travis Toomey #90
TT90.jpg
Kiel Murchison #79
KM79.jpg
Games ’21-22 6 7
Games ’20-21 (Reg/PO) 52 / 0 51 / 12
Career Games (Reg/PO) 50 / 0 546 / 34
First NHL Game 10/3/19 1/21/13
Birthplace Leduc, AB Cloverdale, BC

Uh oh. 

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Oilers media guys always name the visiting goalie a Star in games where the Oilers lose. They believe that a goalie standing on his head is the only way they can lose.....

It's basically if McDavid doesn't score a goal lol. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Expecting a win today

Flyers played less than 24 hrs ago in Edmonton and had to fly

After the last game we should come out like gang busters and dictate the game and skate hard !

No excuses from players or coaches after the game will be accepted

45 minute flight in a private jet ?

I don't see that breaking their stride.

• Cheers 1