The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Maybe. If he is hard on himself, as Imac said Petey describes himself, then confidence levels probably affects him more than most players.

He's had a lot of time off too between games. Timing could be an issue like Hadal and John and John suggested this game.

Well if that is the case then he is not built to be a Stanley cup champion. Winners overcome these things.

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

You're joking right?

Our 2011 dcore is MILES and MILES better than this current core.

Did you even watch the games or are you just guessing?

Our defense in 2011 was built on the strength of our forwards.  

Pretty easy to be a d-man when half the game is spent cycling the puck in the opposition's zone and the other half you have Kesler's line out there. 

Oh yeah, and a guy named Luongo being backed up by Schneider. 

"When we were in the first period in their zone, we did some good things...We talked about some things before the game on what we had to be careful of and some of those things happened."

Did some good things? 

What the hell does “We talked about some things before the game on what we had to be careful of and some of those things happened” mean?

If I said that, my wife would ask me if I’ve had a stroke. 

Did miss him saying “we’re glad everyone had a good lunch and Garland looks weird without the beard”?

I think Green is going to be more and more cryptic the longer this goes on. He’s giving off the vibe of someone who’s ready to snap. Where is the disconnect in the equation?

Edited by PhillipBlunt

Its sad to say... but all the creativity has been sucked out of the Canuck's players.

Think back to the rookie seasons of Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, etc.   Now watch them now.

Green's coaching system emphasizes doing things by the book, up and down the wing, shoot it in, don't 'take chances' by trying to be creative with your wingman.

There is no interchangeability of positions, no crisscrossing to confuse the defense, no support for the puck carrier by a trailer... its always the same two methods... either shoot it in, (without anyone moving with speed) or go up the ice two or three abreast where the only option is to pass horizontally... which is the easiest pass to prevent.

We see quite a few individual rushes up the ice... often by a defenseman, but there is rarely any support for those efforts... usually the player runs into a wall of defenders and goes nowhere.

The team relies too much on the shot from the point and the lucky bounce... like Hughes goal against Philly.

The powerplay is equally lacking in creativity... all you need to do is watch the Philly PP compared to the Canucks... and how the Flyers move the puck... no comparison.

And when you look at the offensive talent and shooting skills on the Canucks forwards, there is no way the situation should be like this... Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, Pearson.... they all have excellent shots.... but the PP system the Canucks have in place does not give them the opportunities they could use to score.

I really do not hold out a lot of hope for this season or future seasons until Green and his coaching staff, (not goaltender coaching) are replaced.

The only thing which was a positive from this game was the improvement in hitting... that did make it more competitive.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

The alien has left Petey's body, and he's just human right now.  I don't know what it will take to coax him back in.

Its actually quite astounding. I don't think I've ever seen an NHL star player look that far removed from their abilities upon returning, even after a long delay.  He looks like a young rookie. One that Petey never was even. But a young mistake prone, weak on the puck, and his skates, rookie. And a rookie like that Travis Green would never consider playing on the big team. He wouldn't get out of training camp.

Its like he's got to practice like a fiend, some of the very basics like taking a pass. And hitting the net.

Its a little scary.  And his slimness doesn't help him.  Even with the refs. Seems like just as there are "big man" penalty calls, which Myers is gifted once in awhile, there are "slim/small man" non penalty calls. Like the one tonight, where Petey could have had a breakaway and was clearly held enough to cause him to lose his balance. But I can see the refs minds working "A bigger "normal" player would have easily fought that off".  So no call. 

I don't know what Petey can do. He doesn't seem to be improving at all. Those last few minutes watching him give the puck away over and over was painful to watch. Because its the opposite of his MO until now which is to play keep away against everyone else.  He simply has to improve, but now I'm a bit worried it will take longer than we thought.  Nylander was mentioned on the radio, as and example of a player who needed almost the whole season to get back on track after his long hold out. I hope it doesn't take that long. :unsure:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

who are the available coaches out there?

Lambert?

no one say JQ, but seriously anyone seasoned and good out their? Claude Julian?

As for experiences coaches. I don’t think we need another rookie coach nor do we want to re-hire Torts.

Dan Bylsma

Ralph Krueger
Claude Julien

Mike Babcock

Bruce Boudreau

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

Just now, kilgore said:

The alien has left Petey's body, and he's just human right now.  I don't know what it will take to coax him back in.

Its actually quite astounding. I don't think I've ever seen an NHL star player look that far removed from their abilities upon returning, even after a long delay.  He looks like a young rookie. One that Petey never was even. But a young mistake prone, weak on the puck, and his skates, rookie. And a rookie like that Travis Green would never consider playing on the big team. He wouldn't get out of training camp.

Its like he's got to practice like a fiend, some of the very basics like taking a pass. And hitting the net.

Its a little scary.  And his slimness doesn't help him.  Even with the refs. Seems like just as there are "big man" penalty calls, which Myers is gifted once in awhile, there are "slim/small man" non penalty calls. Like the one tonight, where Petey could have had a breakaway and was clearly held enough to cause him to lose his balance. But I can see the refs minds working "A bigger "normal" player would have easily fought that off".  So no call. 

I don't know what Petey can do. He doesn't seem to be improving at all. Those last few minutes watching him give the puck away over and over was painful to watch. Because its the opposite of his MO until now which is to play keep away against everyone else.  He simply has to improve, but now I'm a bit worried it will take longer than we thought.  Nylander was mentioned on the radio, as and example of a player who needed almost the whole season to get back on track after his long hold out. I hope it doesn't take that long. :unsure:

The alien’s stuck on Jupiter getting a new flux capacitor. It’s going to be a minute. 

• Haha 2

Just now, shiznak said:

As for experiences coaches. I don’t think we need another rookie coach.

Dan Bylsma

Ralph Krueger
Claude Julien

Mike Babcock

Bruce Boudreau

No to Julien. 
Hell no to Babcock... he’s too old school, surprised he’s not blackballed from the NHL after the way he was abusing the Leafs’ players.