The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Bo wants to be an offensive go to guy. You can see it. And he is actually better suited to that than a shutdown role. Being stuck with Pearson is holding him back. Hoglander also needs to be in the top 6 as Green is wrecking him now too.

Honestly, trade Pearson if the coach won’t ever separate him from Horvat even to try to get other guys going. That’s getting annoying af.

Pearson is the master of crest shooting from the perimeter combined with one or two shifts a game where he drives the net and looks good.

Bo's the only one holding himself back at the moment IMO.  Despite the two goals that he scored recently, he's been missing shots, passes, losing board battles and not playing like his old self.  

I just can't believe how poor Elias, Boeser and Horvat have been to start this season.  At least Elias showed some signs tonight of starting to get out of his slump.  

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I just hope Benning doesn’t do a panic move and deal yet another 1st round pick to acquire a player.

Green will be on JB to acquire another core player cause with Green it is always about personnel rather than his system - instead of making a system adjustment he continues to experiment with the line blending strategy. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I just hope Benning doesn’t do a panic move and deal yet another 1st round pick to acquire a player.

we don't have any cap space to acquire anyone lol it'll have to be cap for cap trade + picks and frankly we have no one that we could move? pearson? miller? pretty sure we can't afford to move any defense.

Tonight was the first night I actively chose to not watch the game despite having nothing really to do. Sort of felt like we were going to lose this game anyways and to be honest didn't really care either.

I love this team, will continue to til I die, but gotta say apathy has set in for me already. Not really sure I want to invest my time at the moment watching this team stumble around aimlessly. 

• Huggy Bear 1

19 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Won’t happen.

We don’t have the cap space to acquire anyone else. This is the team, there’s no white knight coming in to save them.

I hope so. The team doesn't need a white knight. This team is good enough to be a playoff team UNDER THE RIGHT SYSTEM

7 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I guess that ownership and front office share the same view and I expect them to be patient and not to rush things. It wil be interesting to see how many games are played until ownership or front office pull the trigger.

We've been told to stay patient for 8 years . The " be patient" narrative is way past its due date. That crap isn't going to fly anymore. My patience as a fan expired.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, cuporbust said:

We've been told to stay patient for 8 years . The " be patient" narrative is way past its due date. That crap isn't going to fly anymore. My patience as a fan expired.  

Just be patient…Some day we will lose in the first round again and meet our goal<_<

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

The problem is not the personnel.  It's that they're not working as a unit.  Passing's off because they seem to have to pass through other players too much.  There's little support for the puck.  Guys are going into the offensive end alone.  Guys are standing still receiving passes.  This team looks so completely disjointed.  Seeing this, I'm expecting Green's time is coming up.

Well you are seeing exactly what I can see on the ice and its heartbreaking to think this is what they can dish up in 8 years of rebuilding. I was expecting a serious change to on ice product this year. The personnel are there, but the systems are not.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Borderline Canuck said:

I like Bailey's game.  Like to see him play with Miller

Same, Bailey is a MASSIVE upgrade over McEwen. Very very good on the PK, his speed really making a difference. I think there might be something there offensively still but I know for a fact, the way hes playing, hes not going back to Abbotsford anytime soon. Even 5 on 5 he's playing well too

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The only place I disagree is that I think both JB and Green need to go now. Benning should not get another coaching hire before taking responsibility here. The team needs a new direction and voice right from the top IMO. Benning is absolutely myopic once he sets his focus on the guy he wants. He has been that way with players he acquires, signs, and drafts, and also with coaches he hires. With coaching you almost never hear it was an exhaustive search like you do with other teams.

I would actually like to see Jim Rutherford hired as the PoHO (a position he reportedly wants more at this point than another GM gig). He can serve as interim GM for as long as it takes to really do that exhaustive search for the right long term GM.

Shaw may have never been a head coach but he has the bench chops and experience to be a fine interim coach and even possibly the next full time head coach. Give him an audition and bring in a couple of experienced assistants to replace Baumgartner and King (No more rookies) while leaving no stone unturned in the search for the right coach to take this group to the next level.

Aquilini - pony up the &^@#ing dough for a top PoHO, GM, and coaching. It’s just one tier below the players in terms of importance to the performance of the team and ultimately more cash in your pocket. Invest in it now and you might get a cup.

Yeah I'd definitely be down with getting a President and having him serve interim till the off-season then looking for a long-term GM. That was an option I didn't consider. Have 2 solid hockey minds.

Not many notable GMs out there but one guy catches my eye atm.

Chris MacFarland is an assistant GM with the Avs working closely with Sakic. He hasn't had GM experience, being only an assistant for the last 14 seasons, and yeah I know some people might have gripes since Benning was but he's assistant to probably one the best GMs in the league in Sakic and has been credited with helping the quick turnaround of the Avs from the bottom of the league to top contention since joining them. He's been an assistant GM for CBJ from 07/08 to 14/15 and Avs assistant GM from 15/16 to 21/22.

Out of the guys I found available, and with a solid President, he's a guy I would strongly consider. Especially considering his track record of helping turn around the Avs and ties working closely with Sakic.

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

I only watched the 2nd and 3rd and I actually saw some real progress.  I thought the defence was strong, goaltending was strong and the forwards were finally working hard, making plays and not just generating turnovers.  

I think it was a step in the right direction.

Go Canucks Go!

Yeah the team played very well tonight. Give Koskinen credit, he made a lot of big saves tonight. The effort was defintely there, I just hope they can keep it going next game

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Green needs to play Garland more. He needs to be right there after the lotto line as one of our top minute forwards.

Team needs offense & he's one of our best creators. Plus the lotto line isn't going. Seems like a no brainer.

I agree, next to Demko, Garland was terrific tonight. Every shift hes trying to get a scoring chance or at least get something going. He is just begging to get top end ice time the way hes playing

29 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

But no, we should of tore it all down, accumulated draft picks and young players, saved money on the cap and weaponize it to bring in even more young players/picks and that is when we can be told to be patient.

Instead we spent to the cap or close to every year, were told we would be competitive and were trying to make the playoffs, we traded more picks than we acquired, we let our free agents walk at the end of the year for nothing, we overpaid in free agency for guys like Sam Gagner, Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Tim Schaller and Brandon Sutter and those are just off the top of my head.

We for whatever reason hung on to Loui E for 84% of his contract length while other teams almost always are able to rid of their overpaid garbage, we traded young assets for Erik Gudbranson, Linden Vey and Sven Baertschi, gave a previously concussed player a 4 year contract(take care Ferland I'm glad you got paid) we hired the worst NHL coach I've ever seen Willie Desjardins. Resigning Virtanen and letting Toffoli walk? Lol like who does that? No 2nd round picks in 2015 and 2016 

Edit: JB admittedly shopped for P.K Subban years ago

In 2018 we totally lucked out and got Quinn Hughes and nobody ever talks about this.  IMAGINE, just imagine if Detroit took Quinn Hughes, where would we be right now?  We are LUCKY to be as good as we are now...let that sink in.  

Edited by Warhawk
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1