The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Crabcakes said:

For some teams, bringing in a coach who is going to be the lead dog works.  The Canucks tried that with Torts and it didn't work at all

Think of the roster at the time that Tortorella was hired. It was an older roster in serious transition. They had gotten stale so no coach would fix that. 

Regardless, under Green, the team is regressing. It’s not going to get better. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That had nothing to do with Holtby and all to do with Miller.  You cannot let up and allow a guy to beat you 200 feet down the ice.  

Totally embarrassing play by Miller.  I was hoping that I wouldn't have to bring it up again this year, but I'm seeing a 28 year old player that's got the maturity of an 18 year old on the ice again.  

Also that was only one play highlighted, but Miller has a season full of lowlights like those where he's backchecking at 50%.  I've actually seen it this year again, Miller loses the puck and then is visibly frustrated and gliding back instead of hustling to get the puck back. 

When we start winning Miller will turn around, but he's sure not helping during the tough times. 

I wouldn't want a goalie making that pass.

Miller was beat before the pass, clearly. Bad effort by JT, terrible decision by Holtby. 

As for the bolded. Millers point production shows he is contributing more than the rest. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

We have high quality people in terms of guys that you would have over for a dinner, but I don't know that our leadership group is good enough.  

Just because Miller comes out to complain about the insanely stupid decision to play so soon after the Covid outbreak doesn't make him a great leader.  Horvat is a very inclusive captain and I do like guys like Sutter being on the team.  

I don't know, I've seen good facets in our team such as the gutsy win over Toronto when we came back from Covid last year.  The bads are starting to far outweigh the good though, and by game 20 of this year we might see that last year was not a fluke and we have a team that can only handle winning, but not losing.  

What I think I'm seeing is some great individual efforts, and I do see good people as well. I see a team unprepared for a season, yet again. I see us out game planned, over and over.

In the flat cap/covid era we can't make personnel changes easily, but we can bring in an experienced coach. What can it hurt? this team is crippled in its systems.

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

We don't see what was happening up ice when Holtby shot the puck up the boards.  Safe to say that Miller was coasting and Matthews saw that and started going hard?

Holtby was probably the best guy to see what was going on up the ice.  Given his reaction and the fact that he called Miller out..  plus 50 games of evidence where you can see Miller coasting on defense, I don't need to see more.  

I was willing to chalk last season up to a Covid year, but I'm starting to see it again.  Anyways that's the end of my rant with Miller, really not a fan of his demeanor.  To end it on a positive, at least he has channeled some of his frustration into hitting this year as I've seen him throw a few big hits (in the offensive zone of course). 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'm not buying this tbh. Lots of teams make changes, and when you bring in so much more talent I don't think expecting more losses is acceptable from the coaches.

Yeah Jim does tend to wait as long as possible before making moves. Sometimes thats good, sometimes not. I'm hoping he breaks with his m.o. this time.

I know people are thinking of Vegas when I say this.  But look, they were the cast offs and rallied around this in their first year and caught lightning in a bottle in their first year.  What do all the new Canuck players have to rally around?  A core who is on the verge

Having said that, over a full season, this team may very well look completely different in the second half.  We have also seen that happen many times before

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

What I think I'm seeing is some great individual efforts, and I do see good people as well. I see a team unprepared for a season, yet again. I see us out game planned, over and over.

In the flat cap/covid era we can't make personnel changes easily, but we can bring in an experienced coach. What can it hurt? this team is crippled in its systems.

Would Bruce Boudreau be a step up from TG?  

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Holtby was probably the best guy to see what was going on up the ice.  Given his reaction and the fact that he called Miller out..  plus 50 games of evidence where you can see Miller coasting on defense, I don't need to see more.  

I was willing to chalk last season up to a Covid year, but I'm starting to see it again.  Anyways that's the end of my rant with Miller, really not a fan of his demeanor.  To end it on a positive, at least he has channeled some of his frustration into hitting this year as I've seen him throw a few big hits (in the offensive zone of course). 

So he's leading the team in points. He's a hitting centre. 

Just want a stronger D-game?

Yep, Id like that too.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

So he's leading the team in points. He's a hitting centre. 

Just want a stronger D-game?

Yep, Id like that too.

I hope that I look stupid as Miller goes on a hot streak soon. I'm not cheering against him. 

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was at the game. It was embarrassing, felt like I was in EDM with those Oilers chants.  The DJ tried really hard to drown them out. But then I thought, the Canucks really haven't given us much to cheer about.

Hearing the post game comments, saying it was a success keeping Connor from scoring 5x5. What a crock. There was zero success. EDM got 2 points, VAN got nothing, squat, zilch, nada.  And then hearing Green saying they took a step forward? The acceptance of mediocrity with this team by Green is mind-boggling. He's a losing coach, one of the worst head coaching records in NHL history. Get him out of there before the players want out. 

Ditto and based on his yearly winning % his teams seems to be regressing back to reflect his overall winning %.

20211031_112413.jpg

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Think of the roster at the time that Tortorella was hired. It was an older roster in serious transition. They had gotten stale so no coach would fix that. 

Regardless, under Green, the team is regressing. It’s not going to get better. 

I think we are seeing a team come together.  They are playing with so much more flow than they were earlier in the season.  They played the Oilers even 5 v 5.

No excuse for their lack of production though.  Maybe it's just bad luck because they had plenty of looks last night.  

The worst thing for me is this team gets hemmed in their own zone so easily and the Oilers were preying on that fact.  A heavy forecheck just causes them to bumble.  It's hard to watch.  D is the issue.  Can Hamonic come back soon enough?  Not that he is anybody's savior 

3 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

At this point the coach from Letterkenny would be a step up. 

Julien is probably a better option than Bruce B, just because of his record. Might be hard for Canucks fans to take tho.

Other than Julien, is there an experienced coach out there with a ring? Torts but that would be bizarre. Did work for the Yankees tho.

Edited by JM_
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

Despite the loss I don't think the Nux played badly. The number of shots and faceoff wins were pretty much even. Both goalies were hot. Both teams had chances that could've been put away. The score coulda gone either way. McJesus played like the devil but he was kept to one assist. The difference was the powerplay. I see Edmonton's and Phillies' powerplays are so creative and in constant motion compared to ours. Ours has been stagnant and predictable for the last few seasons. I can't for the life of me understand why we can't have different looks on it with the individual talent we have. The (lack of) powerplay is killing us right now.

The PP is a huge problem. You need your stars at least doing what they are supposed to in order to lift the team. Too much talent but the problem is Petterson. He refuses to shoot. Take him off PP1 and watch them excel.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I was at the game. It was embarrassing, felt like I was in EDM with those Oilers chants.  The DJ tried really hard to drown them out. But then I thought, the Canucks really haven't given us much to cheer about.

Hearing the post game comments, saying it was a success keeping Connor from scoring 5x5. What a crock. There was zero success. EDM got 2 points, VAN got nothing, squat, zilch, nada.  And then hearing Green saying they took a step forward? The acceptance of mediocrity with this team by Green is mind-boggling. He's a losing coach, one of the worst head coaching records in NHL history. Get him out of there before the players want out. 

Green’s post game comment about the team “wanting to win” was comical. Yeah, no (expletive deleted) Sherlock. That’s why they play the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3