The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Green sure has to field some stupid questions from clowns like MacIntyre and Drance.

While I'm not a fan of how he's been doing things this season so far, I always appreciate how he gives short answers to dumb questions. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green sure has to field some stupid questions from clowns like MacIntyre and Drance.

While I'm not a fan of how he's been doing things this season so far, I always appreciate how he gives short answers to dumb questions. 

I'd say Ian asks the dumb questions because a lot his readers want those answered; while Drance asks them because his stupid.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's very interesting though that nobody else ever hired him after he was fired.  There must be something we don't know.

I remember him saying he wasn't interested in another GM job. 

I believe he taught in Vic for a while and eventually did have an interview or two for other GM jobs. But I got the sense that if he was to do it again he was going to be picky.

Guy has a great hockey mind. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I remember him saying he wasn't interested in another GM job. 

I believe he taught in Vic for a while and eventually did have an interview or two for other GM jobs. But I got the sense that if he was to do it again he was going to be picky.

Guy has a great hockey mind. 

Well if anyone wanted to be fair and objective

The draft class weren't strong and weren't big misses for Gillis

He never had that much available to him at his picks

I believe he was shunned from old boys club, for being a player agent before GM

The drafts available were not that strong, (pretty hard to stack cupboards when whats available  from where you draft being a strong team)

His 1st picks in 

2008 #10 pick Cody Hodgson (in not a strong draft) who had a back disorder

2009 #22 (out of 30 teams) Jordan Schroeder (Not like he had lots of good choice to make down there)

2010  No pick traded #25 for Ballard, (who ended up being Quinton Howden in that spot)

2011 #29 (out of 30 teams)  Nicklas Jensen (again slim options down there)

2012 #26 Brendan Guance (again slim options)

2013 #9 Bo Horvat (maybe he can draft when up in top 10), #24 Hunter Shinkaruk

So think of what was available at the bottom of all other rounds to stack the farm with

Just saying I think you have to look at strength of drafts, where teams are drafting from, (is it from strengths or weaknesses)?

He brought in fitness and a farm team for us to develop our own players

I was really enjoying watching Canucks hockey then, sensed them to win every game, not just hoping

People who say i don't care if we trade away 2nd rounders

Well those 2nd rounders now for us always being at the bottom of the standings were like our 1st round picks while we picked at the bottom of the 1st

(2nd rounders especially,

in strong drafts are important to keep)

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Well if anyone wanted to be fair and objective

The draft class weren't strong and weren't big misses for Gillis

He never had that much available to him at his picks

I believe he was shunned from old boys club, for being a player agent before GM

The drafts available were not that strong, (pretty hard to stack cupboards when whats available  from where you draft being a strong team)

His 1st picks in 

2009 #22 (out of 30 teams) Jordan Schroeder (Not like he had lots of good choice to make down there)

2010  No pick traded #25 for Ballard, (who ended up being Quinton Howden in that spot)

So think of what was available at the bottom of all other rounds to stack the farm with

Just saying I think you have to look at strength of drafts, where teams are drafting from, (is it from strengths or weaknesses)?

He brought in fitness and a farm team for us to develop our own players

I was really enjoying watching Canucks hockey then, sensed them to win every game, not just hoping

People who say i don't care if we trade away 2nd rounders

Well those 2nd rounders now for us always being at the bottom of the standings were like our 1st round picks while we picked at the bottom of the 1st

(2nd rounders especially,

in strong drafts are important to keep)

I liked Gillis.

That wasn't a popular opinion around these parts for a while. 

Someone should do a redraft of the Gillis and Benning draft teams of 1st and 2nd rounds to see who we could have had on our teams

My money is on that with what Benning position of picks and strength of drafts that he had available, he will be much stronger team that what Gillis had to build a team with, so to compare them against each other from drafting perspective falls short

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

2008 Tyler Myers #12, Erik Karlsson #15, Jake Gardiner #17,  in the wow category Jordan Eberle was #22

2009  Marcus Johansson #24, Kyle Palmieri #26, MIkko Koskinen #31,    wow Ryan O'Rielly went # 33

2011 Rickard Rakell #30, Boone Jenner #37,  Victor Rask #42, and  Brandon Saad #43

2012 Tanner Pearson #30, man it gets bad after that

2013 Between the  Bo and Hunter picks I'd go with Bo, but after Hunter went Shea Theodore # 26, Ryan Hartman #30

27 minutes ago, gurn said:

2008 Tyler Myers #12, Erik Karlsson #15, Jake Gardiner #17,  in the wow category Jordan Eberle was #22

2009  Marcus Johansson #24, Kyle Palmieri #26, MIkko Koskinen #31,    wow Ryan O'Rielly went # 33

2011 Rickard Rakell #30, Boone Jenner #37,  Victor Rask #42, and  Brandon Saad #43

2013 Between the  Bo and Hunter picks I'd go with Bo, but after Hunter went Shea Theodore # 26, Ryan Hartman #30

Of course I knew  it would be better, it will for every team :)

Now do all the multiple choices than Benning had :)

Without checking I know it's much better

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Didn't actually hate the game last night - sure we didn't score til the end, but it felt like they were all kinda set free:

- Way more carry ins instead of dump & chasing
- Lotto line stayed together

Maybe with Hamonic back, Green will trust his forwards to be more aggressive. Also thinking our lines just need some time to gel together and figure out where their teammates are going to be. 

Will be interesting to see if Hamonic is game ready though.  Might be a while before this team is truly running at 100%

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Of course I knew  it would be better, it will for every team :)

Now do all the multiple choices than Benning had :)

Without checking I know it's much better

I'd say Benning did a better job, picking the better players at his respective spot than Gillis did in his.

Edited by gurn

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I liked Gillis.

That wasn't a popular opinion around these parts for a while. 

I liked him too but in hindsight, I feel like he should have really gone all in at the deadline. I felt like too many depth players at the end instead of a key member. Fact that we had to try guys like Oreskovich during a cup run wante good

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Thanks for that

We wouldn't get to pick all of those though

But in;

2008 We had 4 options for 1st and none for 2nd round ?

2009 We had 4 options for 1st and none for the 2nd round?

2011 We had 3 options for 1st and none for 2nd round? (Doubtful Rask an option, with goalies we had)

2012 we had only 1 option for 1st and none for 2nd round ?

2013 We had best in pick 1st and 2 options for 2nd?

Not much room for error, and pretty hard to stock cupboards with even the available hindsight of picking the absolute best 2nd rounders available to him and if no 2nd rounders that goes for late 3rd too etc

21 hours ago, stawns said:

How about Colorado a few years ago.  They had a cpl very promising seasons, then fell out of the playoffs. It happens to many teams on their journey to contender status

Well they had Patrick roy as a coach before 2016. Changed it up with bedner as a new coach... Roy stunk as a coach I think green was learning from Roy...

18 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

Well they had Patrick roy as a coach before 2016. Changed it up with bedner as a new coach... Roy stunk as a coach I think green was learning from Roy...

I don't disagree and I've said, all along, that it was unlikely that JB and/or green would be here when they get to contender status........much like Nonis wasn't there when the team he built became a contender

1 hour ago, AC30 said:

How many wins will we get? 

and where do you project the ‘Nucks will place at the close of this season?

will Green still be the bench boss or is this season his swan song?

Oh man. 

Well, if things don't turn a corner soon, then I can't really see anything beyond 25, maybe 30 wins? 

At the current rate that we're going, I think this could very well be Green's last season behind the bench. I'm not sure what else Benning can do. He's gotten rid of the bad contracts, he's drafted and made trades for a top six. He's improved depth, gotten some decent middle six and bottom six help. Benning for all of his mistakes, can't coach this team. That's on Green and his staff. 

So the fact that they're losing, is on Green, his systems, and his staff. They're not getting the best out of this current group of players. 

Should Benning go? Probably yeah. He's had 8 years to run with this team, build it up. Is he the man to bring the organization to contention status? Probably not. 

Is Green that coach to help bring these players and the team to not just playoff contender, but Cup contender status? Probably not. Unless he can prove that, I'm not really convinced, and I like him. Inevitably, though, I think his insistence on having Baumgartner on the coaching staff will ultimately be his downfall. The man is not a good assistant coach. 

I think the Canucks will probably be, if things don't turn around by the end of this month, will finish at the bottom of the division, and near dead last in the conference. There's still some time, but not a lot of time left, or not much room for error. These games matter, and they count. Every point. Calgary and Edmonton it seems will be battling for the division title. If we do somehow seem to recover, then I can see us being a middle of the pack team in the Western Conference. But that's about it. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Doesn't change the fact that they stunk so badly for so long that the lottery rules were changed because o their ineptitude, which in turn bit us in the ass when we were trying to rebuild.

That’s true. I hate Edmonton. Never liked them. They keep saying that they’re a city of champions, but they haven’t won anything in such a long time. 

I can’t believe they’ve taken so long to become this good. And yet at the same time, our rebuild isn’t completely done yet either. Seems like if Benning and Green are gone, we might be entering into yet another rebuild. I really hope if we do, we do it the right way. The fans deserve a proper rebuild, so that we can be good for a decade plus. At the rate that things are going right now, I’m not sure what the next steps would be to fix and change things. 

Whatever culture existed within the AV/Gillis/Sedins era, isn’t here anymore.