The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Travis Hamonic

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm certainly not doctor, but if the risk is nonexistant, then why would health officials make it impossible for him to travel on the road in the US? Certainly seems like someone still thinks it's a risk.

Now that is a very good question. Some here say he’s at risk, others say he’s a risk to others. So I’m still very confused. I like things to be logical.

4 hours ago, combover said:

Hunts been worse than terrible 

hamonic has played once in 5 months 

And he’s trying to win games you say? 

Yeah, that is what I said. Hamonic gives us a better chance of winning then Rathbone. Rathbone had had flashes of offensive flair but has been generally pretty bad defensively over the course of the season. No one is advocating Hunts plays. I would much rather Rathbone down in Abby playing big minutes and Hunt sitting on the bench waiting for action then the opposite.

29 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That’s just the policy they’ve set for everyone without exemption to professional athletes.

With the protocols in place and the minimal interaction with the public there’s very minimal risk. Regardless they have to abide by the rules in place.

Players have a life outside of the rink.  Vaccinated players are free to go out and about.  There’s no restrictions.  There have been players going to ball games unmasked for example and in some states there’s no vaccination or negative test requirements to attend.

Fully vaccinated players can now hang together on days off or go to each others place and have team parties while that wasn’t supposed to happen last season.  On the road they can go to restaurants and are no longer forced to stay in their rooms.  

Unvaccinated players are pretty much supposed to follow last season’s protocol and shouldn’t be doing any of these things till they are considered fully vaccinated. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Who is the risk to?

If he has received one shot the risk is very low that he’ll contract the virus among fully vaccinated teammates.

Players around the league are still getting it fully vaxxed anyways. This doesn’t change the risk at all.

I do agree about messing with the pairings though. This might hurt chemistry among the D. That’s why I hope they keep the top 4 the same and just plug Hamonic in the bottom pair with Schenn or Burroughs. Once he’s able to play all the games they can try him with Hughes again.

Hamonics the type of player you can slot in anywhere.  He will be solid after a few games.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I do not disagree with you Stawns

But I also think that Rathbone was always paired with a questionable partner, so IMO, he tried to do too much, and would get caught........I do think Rathbone will benefit from his time in Abbotsford, but he deserves to be up, especially looking at his replacement.

IMO, this is all about not loosing Hunt or Schenn to waivers

Unfortunately, Rathbone is playing on the wrong team, he's stuck behind Hughes and OEL, and will be for several years. The Canucks need a defensive LHD to play on the PK, and that's NOT Rathbone, they had a decent one in OJ, but Travis pushed him out of town. I was always in favor of sending Rathbone to Abby to get PP, PK and top pairing time and playing OJ on the third pairing. And, Burroughs has been far better defensively than Rathbone who has been an own-zone turnover machine. It has not been his partner who has caused the turnovers and bad exits, that's on Jack.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Unfortunately, Rathbone is playing on the wrong team, he's stuck behind Hughes and OEL, and will be for several years. The Canucks need a defensive LHD to play on the PK, and that's NOT Rathbone, they had a decent one in OJ, but Travis pushed him out of town. I was always in favor of sending Rathbone to Abby to get PP, PK and top pairing time and playing OJ on the third pairing. And, Burroughs has been far better defensively than Rathbone who has been an own-zone turnover machine. It has not been his partner who has caused the turnovers and bad exits, that's on Jack.

Just curious, but did you see the last game? He was probably our best Dman, as good as anyone else, at worst.

I do agree with you on too many LHD offensive players........not sure what that answer is

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm certainly not doctor, but if the risk is nonexistant, then why would health officials make it impossible for him to travel on the road in the US? Certainly seems like someone still thinks it's a risk.

The vaccines are not 100% risk-free.  2 jabs is more effective than one, but people still can get the virus, but the risk factor is much lower than un-vaxed and single vaxed. The important part, is that having the vaccines insures that you will likely have fewer symptoms and not have to be hospitalized.  Hence, you will not pay the price of the severity of what Covid want to share with you.

Even with the US border opening, one still has to have proof of double vaccine before entering their border.  Same thing coming back our way. 

My guess, is that Hamonic's family will not be living with him throughout the season.  Vax or no vax, it's too dangerous for his daughter.  Like so many of the compromised folks out there, Covid is a very serious threat to their lives.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Yeah, that is what I said. Hamonic gives us a better chance of winning then Rathbone. Rathbone had had flashes of offensive flair but has been generally pretty bad defensively over the course of the season. No one is advocating Hunts plays. I would much rather Rathbone down in Abby playing big minutes and Hunt sitting on the bench waiting for action then the opposite.

Be prepared for defensive lapses from hamonic. 

not many If any players can step into a game after having 5 months off.
Id be surprised if he isn’t injured with a few games 3 practices and 1 ahl game especially in the green chase the play and frantic disorganized d zone play. 
Hamonic should have been in Abby for two weeks to get into game shape not three days. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just curious, but did you see the last game? He was probably our best Dman, as good as anyone else, at worst.

I do agree with you on too many LHD offensive players........not sure what that answer is

The answer is that he will blow up in Abby and then get flipped for needed assets or picks.  Hughes and OEL aren't going anywhere.

• Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I'll jump in here...  I thought that Rathbone had some great offensive flashes and definitely looked good against Edmonton.  However he is the shakiest out of our top 6 defensively.  Now before we go any further, that's totally to be expected of Rathbone and I think that he's far ahead of his predicted developmental curve.  I'm very happy that he was able to get into AHL last year and play really well and then make the transition to the NHL.  

It's big that this kid already has quite a few NHL games under his belt.  Sending him down to Abby for a short stint is not going to sink him and in fact might be beneficial.  

@canuckleheads fan I believe that we can have three offensive minded LDs because OEL is perfectly capable of being a shutdown dman like we've seen this year when he's paired with Myers.  Imagine if in the next year or two we are able to acquire a dominant RD to play with OEL.  I would then have no issues with having Hughes and Poolman/Hamonic on the second pairing and Rathbone with a solid RD on the third pairing.  Let's not forget that Rathbone's game will improve by leaps and bounds over the next two years.  He's shown that at college level and AHL level.  No reason that we can't expect that at the highest level from him. 

49 minutes ago, combover said:

Be prepared for defensive lapses from hamonic. 

not many If any players can step into a game after having 5 months off.
Id be surprised if he isn’t injured with a few games 3 practices and 1 ahl game especially in the green chase the play and frantic disorganized d zone play. 
Hamonic should have been in Abby for two weeks to get into game shape not three days. 

No offense, but I'll trust the judgement call of professional trainers, athletic therapists, hockey coaches, and who ever else in the organization who decided he was ready to go, over some guy on the internet.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'll jump in here...  I thought that Rathbone had some great offensive flashes and definitely looked good against Edmonton.  However he is the shakiest out of our top 6 defensively.  Now before we go any further, that's totally to be expected of Rathbone and I think that he's far ahead of his predicted developmental curve.  I'm very happy that he was able to get into AHL last year and play really well and then make the transition to the NHL.  

It's big that this kid already has quite a few NHL games under his belt.  Sending him down to Abby for a short stint is not going to sink him and in fact might be beneficial.  

@canuckleheads fan I believe that we can have three offensive minded LDs because OEL is perfectly capable of being a shutdown dman like we've seen this year when he's paired with Myers.  Imagine if in the next year or two we are able to acquire a dominant RD to play with OEL.  I would then have no issues with having Hughes and Poolman/Hamonic on the second pairing and Rathbone with a solid RD on the third pairing.  Let's not forget that Rathbone's game will improve by leaps and bounds over the next two years.  He's shown that at college level and AHL level.  No reason that we can't expect that at the highest level from him. 

Rathbones a smaller player that has always been lacking on the defensive end at every level.  

We are expecting way too much from our mid level prospects.   

• Vintage 1