Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Wow Garland is a beauty

He looks like a child out there 

the dude isn’t an elf

hes more like a garden gnome

Shows you how much the league has changed 

someone that size would be overlooked in the draft and / or not be successful in the clutch and grab years - cuz you needed size back then.

Fast forward and here in the new era and Garland thrives!

I seriously can’t get over how small he is out there and yet he’s ripping it up 

There's a lot of Theo Fleury's play-style in CG..& that guy(despite all his troubles) was one Helluva' player.

15 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Wow Garland is a beauty

the dude isn’t an elf

someone that size would be overlooked in the draft and / or not be successful in the clutch and grab years - cuz you needed size back then.

I feel like this is a misconception. Average NHL height has actually increased over the years (2020 still being just above 73 inches). What we don't see anymore is the oversized 4th line fighter, but that size difference has probably been offset by the increase in goalie size. Otherwise, we have always had small players in the league (Theo Fleury for example). 

tumblr_nk1jtbKDKV1rlkq4mo1_1280.jpg

19 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

We'd still have 3 wins, because overtime was 5 on 5 not 3 on 3. 

So technically 3 wins in Chicago Seattle, and against NYR. the 2 shootouts Philly and Oilers would 2 ties and then 5 losses in regulation. 

Point being circus time results mean nothing in the play offs.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

With so many folks already writing Green off ... well what if we do make the playoffs what then?   Will the script instead be "well without Green we'd have a better first round opponent"...or if we win two rounds ... without Green we'd win a cup!

Hate to break it to you, but we are considered a bubble playoff team this year - as in a bubble wild card team last spot at 86-89 points.   That makes sense to me, and also think i've seen enough that with EP on (and he was predicted to be ON) that we would make that without him at all.   We have a very young core with some decent/good veteran support.   It's also unfortunate in a way Green isn't responsible, but this is also our window starting this season.   A six year cap window anyways, maybe it will get extended, maybe not. 

That said i get all the frustrations.   It has been a long time waiting.   What i really like about this team is they seem to really like each other and want to win for each other.    And that so far we are not handicapped with stupid contracts during our actual window.   The ELC thing is a myth ... CHI won, their first cup, with core guys on their last ELCs.   Not even PIT first cup...and CAR won their only cup with a mostly veteran team with Staal on his.   That's it.   2 teams in close to 20 cap years now and the first one was right after the lockout. 

Second contracts...it's our window now for sure.   EP ... pull up your socks and score some darn goals already!  Brock Boeser ... same thing.   Garland and OEL ...you are the reason i'm very hopeful, this team is going places no matter whom is coaching it.   

Green saved Pearson's career.   He says as much.   Garland.   Well "when will Green ruin him?" lol so far he's loving it! OEL ... what a player.    Motte.   Let's wait a little longer before we as fans do something stupid and in poor taste like pay a plane to fly a banner.   We have passionate fans, but come on have a little faith!   Quin would have been run out of town after 92/93 in today's era. 

Excellent post IBatch.

Nice to see a well thought out post that is both sensible and logical instead of all the emotional childish rants that so many others tend to post

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, stawns said:

chiasson isn't the issue on the PP.  He's doing exactly what they need him to do.  The issue is the three players passing the ouck between themselves and not utilizing other players on the ice.

There have been numerous times where he tried to make plays with the puck on entry only for him to lose it and get sent down the ice. 

He isn’t a great player with the puck to say the least. 

He isn’t the main issue but he is far from a solution or viable option for PP1. 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Ok

but in the clutch and grab era size mattered much more. 

the larger stronger players had a noticeable advantage as they draped themselves over smaller players impeding their movement.

Garland wouldn’t and the Sedins wouldn’t be nearly as effective playing in the clutch and grab era

Ya? It mattered in some respects for grinders and fighters, but the skill players were often still of below average size. 

1991-1992 Canucks:

Igor Larionov 5' 9"

Cliff Ronning 5' 8"

Pavel Bure 5' 10"

1983-1984 Canucks:

Tony Tanti 5' 9"

Thomas Gradin 5' 11"

Stan Smyl 5' 10"

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Wow Garland is a beauty

the dude isn’t an elf

The game has changed, but even in the days of yore, when defensemen were giant statues, and every team had a massive goon, there were still small players who had great success, I'm thinking primarily about Theo Fleury and Denis Savard, but there have been lots of others.  Some of the greatest players to ever lace up a pair of skates were about Garland's size.  The change has been on the back end, it's only been recently that a defenseman the size of Hughes would be considered a top-ten draft pick.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Being a coach: what is your take on Green as a coach ?

He has his proponents and his detractors. Personally, I was more of a puck possession ideologist, dump and chase in its moments, but more often control the puck as much as possible. The other team can't score as much if they don't have the puck. And for players who supposedly have high hockey IQs, they are not very creative on the powerplay, and somewhat unlucky on the kill. That's on them, not the coach.

Just now, AC30 said:

Who should take his place on the PP?

I think Garland and Boeser should be on PP1. 

Drop one of Horvat/Miller down. The other one of Miller/Horvat can be the net front guy, they are big boys. Have two righty shots. IMO Garland is a better playmaker than Miller. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

There have been numerous times where he tried to make plays with the puck on entry only for him to lose it and get sent down the ice. 

He isn’t a great player with the puck to say the least. 

He isn’t the main issue but he is far from a solution or viable option for PP1. 

Can you name a player that doesn't happen to?  Miller turned the puck over multiple times last night at the blue line.  Chiasson does the job they signed him to do.  He's definitely not the issue

I will say this, it has never been more apparent that Baumer has to go.  Green needs to fire him in order to save his own job.  Yes the team won last night (thank gawd!) but special teams, which are Baumer's domain, were again putrid.  Defensively the team looks a lot better, we get pinned in our zone a lot less and play with more structure, Poolman is better than advertised, Myers has been a revelation, Hughes has been very respectable defensively, and OEL has rediscovered what made him one of the best Dmen in the game, I blame Shaw for all of that.  Other than Petey's struggles, the biggest failing of the team so far is special teams.  

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

chiasson isn't the issue on the PP.  He's doing exactly what they need him to do.  The issue is the three players passing the ouck between themselves and not utilizing other players on the ice.

How do you utilize a post that's standing in front of the net besides shooting? (which I'm all for) 

That leaves Horvat at bumper which we've seen used. In fact it's produced multiple goals. 

Chiasson isn't doing what they need him to do. He's doing what they told him to do and that in itself is a bad strategy. 

What they need him to do is play limited minutes on 4th line and use a different strategy on the poweplay. 

13 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Who should take his place on the PP?

Depending on what they want to do, Garland OR Podz? 

If they want net front with better hands Podz. If they want a shifty player to help gain zone entry and more movement on the PP Garland. 

Simple no? 

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Drop one of Horvat/Miller down. The other one of Miller/Horvat can be the net front guy, they are big boys. Have two righty shots. IMO Garland is a better playmaker than Miller. 

Right now, Petey and Miller are the turnover machines on the PP. 

They should be split up. 

Miller however has been clutch and been scoring. 

I would move Petey to 2nd PP until he regains confidence and his scoring touch back. Playing against PK2 might even help. 

Hogz Miller Garland 

Boeser Hughes 

Pearson Horvat Podz 

OEL Petey 

There is no reason Chiasson should be in over any of these 10 guys. 

I would say whichever unit that scores starts the next PP

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

IMO Hoagie/Garland/Miller/Pearson have solidified themselves as the best top 6 wingers. 

That sorta leaves BB on the outside looking in

That really sucks because we know Boeser is better than Pearson and Hoagie. Wish he can pick it up soon

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

Can you name a player that doesn't happen to?  Miller turned the puck over multiple times last night at the blue line.  Chiasson does the job they signed him to do.  He's definitely not the issue

Him more than most. Not the solution or viable option either. He doesn’t get many touches but the times he does he loses it most of the time. 

Miller hasn’t been good for that matter too. 

Miller should be PP2 IMO. He’s a high volume passer and it hasn’t been working out so far. Send Brock and Garland up to PP1. 

Garland is a better playmaker and PP 1 could use more righty shots to make it less predictable. They only use Petey and Hughes as shooting options and Horvat as bumper. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It infuriates me that we don't have Boeser on the left half boards for one timers. Instead we have Miller there. putting Boeser down on the goal line for Horvat one timers in the slot. No shot against Boeser, but passing isn't his speciatly. Shooting is his specialty. Get him on the left half boards for one timers.

Drop Miller to the second unit PP. Garland in Boeser's current spot since he's a better passer and Boeser in Miller's spot for one timers.