The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Much better game.  The reason was simple... the team converted their PP opportunities.

-  Dallas took a ton of stupid penalties... Suter had a real bad night... constant brain farts... this was key.

-  Canucks supported the puck carrier when entering the zone on the PP.  They had a person ready on the blue line for the Puck Carrier to drop or pass to.  Almost every entry was good... that made a key difference in that the Canucks were then able to focus on setting up shots.

-  Canucks shot more often... they shot quickly... didn't wait,  wasted less time on the ring around the rosy which they've been doing in past games.

-  There was actual movement on the PP... most noticeable on the second Miller goal... he switched up positions with Pettersson and confused the defense, they weren't ready to block his shot and he sneaked it past the Dallas goalie.

-  Bad news on the PP is they are still not moving the puck fast enough... too often a player takes a pass, then hesitates, stickhandles a bit, then passes off.  When a player on the PP receives the puck he should immediately either shoot if there is room or pass off again.

Canucks were still very lucky in that they gave up a LOT of chances to the Stars, including multiple semi-breakaways and 2 on 1's to Benn and Radulov, but Demko saved their butts as he only gave up one goal to those chances.  As John says, Demko should be a 1st Star every game because he is constantly bailing out the defensive mistakes.

Bad news is the Canucks are still too dependent on the PPG clicking and they still do not have a consistent defensive structure to protect Demko.  Against a better team than Dallas they will struggle.

Plus Dallas was missing Heiskanen.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

First, he has to pass the great Canuck Dave Babych, though. Took him a while just to tie him - smh. :P

Babych did it as a Jet and had 303 games to accomplish it compared to Hughes 157 (so far).

He also played with Hawerchuk putting up over 100 points.

• Vintage 2

Hot damn that was fun.  I coulda done without some odd reffing (although to be clear I had no issue with OEL's double minor), but it sure is nice seeing OUR powerplay click for a change.

WTG Podz! Love Garland.  And man did Poolman take a beating in the 3rd... rest well, sir!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Plsdontdoit said:

when I saw demko reaction last game I knew nucks wouldn't let demko down this time 

i thought it was Demko not letting them down again

Canucks scored, but if not for Demko, Stars would have scored more as well

Hogs looks to be the shiftiest, best stickhandler on the team now, along with Garland

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

i thought it was Demko not letting them down again

Canucks scored, but if not for Demko, Stars would have scored more as well

Hogs looks to be the shiftiest, best stickhandler on the team now, along with Garland

Stars third goal was one Demko would want back.  Short side wrister from distance.  We dominated that game.  

44 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Always such a tire fire in our own zone in the 3rd period with a lead, but a win is a win.  Not sure why we can't lock it down like other teams seemingly do to us. 

I thought we did a great job of locking it down tonight!

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Aside from the big storyline. . . Man Hogz is turning into some player - if he could just work on that shot he'll be up there with the old Ehlers / Nylander club. 

With Podz looking like a serious player as well that 2019 draft could yet turn out to be the saving grace for the high profile misses we were discussing below. 

With the possibility of McDonough joining the team within this or next season, definitely already looking like a great draft.

• Like 3