The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

hc-babcock,-mike.jpg

I was reading into his situation and it’s kind of tricky. Because his contract was guaranteed the Leafs still are paying him 5.8m/year. So somehow Lebrun wrote that Dubas still gets a say and teams would have to ask Dubas for his rights.
         Any salary that Babcock would sign for gets subtracted from what the leafs are paying him. So the feelings in the NHL world is that a team would have to offer him 4-5m/season to acquire Babcock as a coach with Dubas’ blessing. The Canucks are currently paying Green $800,000.  

I just don’t see this happening anytime soon. 

33 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I was reading into his situation and it’s kind of tricky. Because his contract was guaranteed the Leafs still are paying him 5.8m/year. So somehow Lebrun wrote that Dubas still gets a say and teams would have to ask Dubas for his rights.
         Any salary that Babcock would sign for gets subtracted from what the leafs are paying him. So the feelings in the NHL world is that a team would have to offer him 4-5m/season to acquire Babcock as a coach with Dubas’ blessing. The Canucks are currently paying Green $800,000.  

I just don’t see this happening anytime soon. 

Green is making more than 800K.  He was at 1M on his 1st contract and his comparable this season was Brind'Amour per Chris Johnston.  There were several teams interested in Green per the insiders so Vancouver had to up their offer to retain him.

2 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

Babcock is the way to go if he will come here. Would even make a great GM in my opinion. I think the Sedins would be the next GM and AGM. 

I don't think the Sedins are ready for that role quite just yet. If they're going to be GM one day, they should learn from a GM, not saying they should learn from the current GM in place. 

On 11/15/2021 at 12:20 AM, shiznak said:

What about Brent Sutter?

We can have Darryl vs. Brent, with Brandon playing for his daddy.

On 11/15/2021 at 1:53 AM, We Are All Cucks said:

Actually an interesting under-the-radar idea there. What's he been up to?

If he won't come, maybe one of the 12 other brothers will

Daddy Sutter added

On 11/15/2021 at 12:23 AM, Nave said:

Bylsma would get my vote.

Bylsma added

On 11/15/2021 at 2:16 AM, shiznak said:

He was let go by the Rebels last year. 

He stepped down, remains as GM

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dale Hunter? 

For quite some time, Washington Capitals general manager George McPhee tried to persuade former player Dale Hunter to return to the team as its coach. This season, McPhee finally got his man - just not for very long.

Hunter quit as Washington's coach on Monday after less than six months on the job, saying he wants to return to his family, his farm and the junior club he owns in Canada.

"It was the right thing to do," Hunter said.

He is the owner of the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League, and he was the coach until McPhee beckoned in late November after firing Bruce Boudreau. Hunter's brother Mark took over as head coach of the Knights then, and one of Hunter's three children is an assistant. Hunter's 76-year-old father scouts for London; his sisters go to the games; another son lives nearby while attending college; his daughter is in the area, too.

Plus, Hunter and his brother own about 2,000 acres of farmland near his hometown of Petrolia, producing mainly wheat along with corn and soybeans.

"I'm going home," Hunter said at the Capitals' practice facility, a couple of hours after delivering the news to McPhee. "I've got a good thing going there with the family, so I'll stay home."

Hunter said he doesn't plan on returning to the NHL.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do people want Bruce? He's never even won a conference finals? For fans that don't want mediocrity, he's the text book guy that loses in the first and second round. 

My rationale: the Canucks' current roster was built for a Boudreau style game, not far off from Green's style previous to this year. Get it deep, grind it out. Canucks have a # of wingers: Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Motte, Highmore, Miller somewhat, Pearson who fit this mold. He's a bit less dump n chase than Green - he's also a new voice for the locker room who has experience stepping in mid-season to lead teams to winning records. I agree he's come short in the playoffs, but he's at least made it to the 3rd round and has experience - there's not many cup winners who will fit the team in any case. I think give him the interim title for the rest of the season and see if he unite the team again.

• Vintage 1