The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Alflives said:

We had one really bad performance.  One.  Green will get the boys to bounce back.  

Don’t know what games you’ve been watching but the Canucks have played maybe 2 really solid games all year and the rest of them have been poor or inconsistent. When you’ve given up the 1st goal 12 out of 14 games that goes to show you how ill prepared this team is on most nights. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Don’t know what games you’ve been watching but the Canucks have played maybe 2 really solid games all year and the rest of them have been poor or inconsistent. When you’ve given up the 1st goal 12 out of 14 games that goes to show you how ill prepared this team is on most nights. 

This plus almost every first PK ends up in a goal.  How many times this year have we made it out of the first period without having given one up ?

Edited by Jayinblack
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We had one really bad performance.  One.  Green will get the boys to bounce back.  

You know I love ya Alf - always a cheery, optimistic homer like myself.... but this was not one bad performance. 

I actually like Travis Green. I like his stoic nature and find him kinda funny in interviews. 
I like that the young guys like Hughes, Petey, Thatcher, Brock, etc. all seem to really respect Greener for his hard-working attitude, the same one he used to carve out an NHL career.

But it's time to move on.
We did everything by the books - saw Green as an up-and-comer, groomed him to become one of the best AHL coaches, transitioned to NHL head coach and let him work with our young core and help turn them into Pros. But in this league you have to win.

Green might not even get another job after this. That's the sad reality, but also speaks to the fact that we have a coach that nobody else would want behind their bench in this capacity.

Good guy to have in your organization, but an NHL head coaching position should be reserved for winners.

Edited by nergish

Just now, nergish said:

You know I love ya Alf - always a cheery, optimistic homer like myself.... but this was not one bad performance. 

I actually like Travis Green. I like his stoic nature and find him kinda funny in interviews. 
I like that the young guys like Hughes, Petey, Thatcher, Brock, etc. all seem to really respect Greener for his hard-working attitude, the same one he used to carve out an NHL career.

But it's time to move on.
We did everything by the books - saw Green as an up-and-comer, groomed him to become one of the best AHL coaches, transitioned to NHL head coach and let him work with our young core and help turn them into Pros. But in this league you have to win.

Green might not even get another job after this. That's the sad reality, but also speaks to the fact that we have a coach that nobody else would want behind their bench in this capacity.

Good guy to have in your organization, but an NHL head coaching position should be reserve for winners.

He's had two bad games, one really bad one.   The rest we were close.    The CDC would probably implode if we hired an experienced coach and things just go from not good to terrible.   Or the same even.    Doubt he's fired today.   We will see him back on the bench against Vegas. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

42 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

1 cup in Detroit. :lol: He’s still getting paid  8 million/year by Toronto. I don’t think he’s giving that up or that the Canucks would match that. 
 Also I do believe since his rights belong to Toronto, we’d have to compensate them with draft picks.

You don't compensate with draft picks anymore, the NHL did away with that a couple of years ago.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think we're past the point of discussing whether Green should be fired, the question is... who should replace him? There's a strange dearth of experienced coaches that have also proven themselves to adapt to the modern era right now - whose your vote to replace Green?

Brad Shaw - Was brought in as a well-respected 'systems guy' to support current coaching staff. The special teams are a mess, but the Canucks' D does look improved somewhat from last year at this time (I mean...the bar was low). He knows the room already which could be viable for a mid-season replacement. Very limited head coaching exp (40 games). Has not been in charge of the absolute laughingstock special teams this year.

Trent Cull - Another 'in the system' guy. Has had limited success in the OHL and AHL. Has never won a championship or appeared in the finals as a head coach at either level, but has as an assistant coach in Syracuse. Watching Abbotsford it's hard to assess his coaching style IMO.

Randy Carlyle -  Cup winner in a different era - 2007. He did take the Ducks to the 3rd round as recently as 2017. Respected by Getzlaf and Perry for adapting to modern coaching styles. Before being fired in 2019 had 2 .600 winning percentage seasons. Was part of the Canucks' system long ago as Manitoba Moose team president.

Bruce 'Gabbi' Boudreau - Long reputation of reg. season success and playoff failure. But hey, a playoff game would look like success to the Canucks' rn. Coaches a somewhat similar system to Travis Green prior to this season's "style," and has a pretty good regular season winning percentage. Last coached in 2019-2020. Has been a mid-season replacement twice and put up winning records both times.

Rikard Gronberg - Rumours that he's talked to many teams over the last few years but doesn't have any NHL coaching exp. He's currently the coach of Zurich in Switzerland.

Claude Julien - Julien and Benning we're a part of the Boston Bruins together in the early 2010s. Famously won the cup against the Canucks. Lost the room in Montreal recently but is an experienced coach. Would be a very different system than Green, as he still relies heavily on a defense-first system. Questions whether the game has passed his style by. Also...remember the last time the Canucks hired the coach that beat them in the finals? But Benning is loyal to people he's liked previously, so it could happen.

Mike Johnston - The Canucks are very into Portland alumni and Mike Johnston has had huge success with that team - he'll do anything to win...even cheat. He had a decent record with Pittsburgh in his two years there. Kyle Gustafsson was his former assistant, so he has some familiarity w/ the coaching staff - esp. if it's Baumer, King and Green who are fired and the newer coaches kept on. Mike Johnston was an assistant coach for the Canucks during the WCE era.

Karl Taylor - was widely seen as the next coach to make a step from AHL to NHL. Had a 41-14 record last year (.714 winning percentage). His team is off to a slow start this year which may quiet the chatter.

John Stevens - Would need permission from Dallas to speak to him - but they're another team needing a shake-up so you never know. He's experienced in the NHL having been in various coaching positions since 2006. Has lots of playoff experience - including two cups in LA as an assistant, made the finals with Dallas in a surprise run recently. His son currently plays for the Abbotsford Canucks.

Rick Tocchet - hard to get a read on. Has been put in positions with absolutely brutal teams as a head coach. He did, shockingly, lead Arizona to one playoff appearance and they made it to the 2nd round. He did win a cup as an assistant in Pittsburgh - and back in the day coached the Forsberg-Sakic era Avs with a pretty good record. Tocchet, Johnston and Agnew (Abbotsford assistant) all worked together briefly in Pittsburgh - and Agnew also worked with Shaw - so maybe there's a variation of those four taking over the bench in the cards. Gritty player in his day.

You forgot the partridge in a pear tree.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He's had two bad games, one really bad one.   The rest we were close.    The CDC would probably implode if we hired an experienced coach and things just go from not good to terrible.   Or the same even.    Doubt he's fired today.   We will see him back on the bench against Vegas. 

What game has he coached competently this year?  Even our wins came in spite of this baboon.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty sure they did away with this tbh, I think Columbus hiring Torts was the last team to pay compensation 

Edit: They did

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-to-end-coach-and-executive-compensation-policy/c-791590

Ahhh okay, I hadn’t realized that ended I just remembered the Torts, McLellan and Chirelli hidings costing other teams draft picks. 

To be honest, not the best lineup available but any of them are better than Green. New York really won out in the off-season.

We don't need another project AHL rookie coach, we need a proper NHL winner.

There may be a rush of coach firings around the 20 game mark so might be interesting to wait things out but not much longer or the season will be wasted.

6 hours ago, We Are All Cucks said:

If it happens, it needs to be somebody with the tag "interm" placed before their title. More dominos will likely fall, and there's no sense in bringing in somebody on a more permanent contract until the rest of whatever "shakeup" we're going to see takes place.

I agree.    It's more than likely when green is fired that uncle jim will be removed too - at the latest at seasons end, at which time our new GM can make long term decisions.

I think Green was chosen for financial reasons to start. The Aquilinis didn’t wanna spend a bunch of money during a rebuild. Maybe they had a plan to upgrade the coaching position by now but then Covid hit and it was back to saving money.

There are no excuses to cheap out now though. Fans are back in the building and have been very patient waiting for a winner. Go out and get the best person available for the job. Promoting straight from the farm team sometimes works (Cooper) but it’s a lot less likely. Green is no Cooper.

His style of coaching fit our team better the way it was built 4 years ago. But now they’re trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. This team is built to play a faster aggressive transition game where they give up chances but create a lot offensively. This passive sit back and wait for your opportunities will not work with the D we have. Their strength is moving the puck not grinding in the corners.

Hire any coach with a proven record of coaching that style. The best candidates on that list that fit that mould are Boudreau and Crawford.

• Cheers 2

Veteran coach need only apply. Look around the league. Trotz, Cooper, Mclennan, Sutter, Tippet, Sullivan, Q (dumbass, but great coach) just off the top of my head and all doing well. No more experiments. This team needs a respected veteran and if Shaw is appointed interm that's fine. Hold out and wait. But no more Coach Ghandi. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, nux_win said:

Just putting this out there, how about the Sedins for the first dual head coaching job in the NHL?  Yes, they don't have any experience but they know hockey, know the NHL, are generally very smart, and have such amazing work effort that they would figure it all out pretty quickly.  I mean would it really be worse than what we have now?  GCG!

No

• Upvote 1